Stephen Fry Joins Cast of The Hobbit

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Stephen Fry Joins Cast of The Hobbit

Director Peter Jackson says that Fry's performance will be "memorable."

Actor, comedian, and writer Stephen Fry will appear in Peter Jackson's movie adaptation of the The Hobbit. Fry will play the Master of Laketown, the elected leader of the trading settlement that is decimated by the dragon, Smaug.

Writing on his Facebook page, Jackson said that he had known Fry for many years, having worked with him in the past on a Dambusters project. He called Fry a "terrific actor," and said that Fry would make a very memorable Master. In the book, the Master of Laketown is a capable, if cowardly leader. After Bard the Bowman kills Smaug, he gives much of his share of the dragon's treasure to the Master, with the intention that it would be used to rebuild the town. Unfortunately, the Master's greed gets the better of him, and he flees the town, taking the gold with him.

Also joining Fry are Ryan Gage, who will play the Master's servant Alfrid, and Conan Stevens as the orc chieftain, Azog. Gage was originally going to appear in a minor role as Drogo Baggins, but Jackson apparently liked his performance so much, he gave him a bigger part. Stevens is probably best known for playing Gregor Clegane in HBO's Game of Thrones series, oh, and for being more than seven feet tall.

The first part of The Hobbit hits theaters in December of 2012, with the second part following a year later.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/stephen-fry-ryan-gage-conan-stevens-the-hobbit/91627/]

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Stephen Fry is in this movie....

I'm going to watch this movie even if I have to sneak into the theater! @_@

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
As long as I don't think about LittleBigPlanet the entire movie that's great news!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Could work, if Fry is kept on a tight leash. He can really, really be painfully bad when left to his own devices.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Ryan Gage, a seven foot tall man of burlyness, is going to be playing a servant instead of Beorn, the guy that transforms into a friggin' bear?

lolwut

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Fry kills every role he takes and I can't wait to see this movie. Good choice Mr. Jackson, good choice.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I am loving this!!
Please let Stephen Fry be one of the Dwarves. That would rock.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MajorDolphin said:
Fry kills every role he takes and I can't wait to see this movie. Good choice Mr. Jackson, good choice.
Not sure it's the phrase you'd want to use.... doesn't "he kills every role" suggest "he tanks it" or "he blows at doing them"?

Though I really want to see him in a movie now.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
A perfect roll for him, can't wait to see him play it! I just got a lot more excited for this movie, gimme it!!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Stephen Fry makes EVERYTHING awesome! He is to acting what Brian Blessed is to voice acting, that is, he instantly makes it a thousand times cooler and better just by being there. I'm still waiting for Fry to get a guest role in Doctor Who, after all. This film was going to be great anyway, now it's just beyond words... :D

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
ccesarano said:
Ryan Gage, a seven foot tall man of burlyness, is going to be playing a servant instead of Beorn, the guy that transforms into a friggin' bear?

lolwut
Ryan Gage is a normal Guy who got Promoted from Hobbit to Civil servant based on Acting Chops

The 7ft Tall monster is Conan Stevens, AKA the Mountain that Rides, AKA the angry guy who chops horses Heads off. He will be Playing the Orc Commader Azok and will be VERY imposing doing it!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement there.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
He should totally make Brian Blessed the voice of Smaug. This would then be, the most awesome movie, EVER!