Steve Butts' Five Favorites of 2010

Afterglow-

Nov 19, 2010
Darth Trethon said:
Wait so of all the good things that came out this year he only picked Mass Effect 2 and DAA? This is very troubling especially since John picked nothing good(pokemom? Mario best of the decade? You've GOT to be joking).....then Russ before him only picked Fallout New Vegas correctly with a whole lot of bad, horrible and ugly......Red Dead Redemption is OK but its silly zombie DLC. And don't you think it's time to stop worshiping shooter clones? Black Ops, Halo whatever and so on.....short campaigns with poor stories and repetitive multiplayer. If you play one of these you've played them all and none are worth $60 by a long shot.

Three more editors to go and so far I am amazed at the stunning amount of bad taste.
I have to agree with most of your points. This is a 'favorites' list though. Not best.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Afterglow- said:
Darth Trethon said:
Wait so of all the good things that came out this year he only picked Mass Effect 2 and DAA? This is very troubling especially since John picked nothing good(pokemom? Mario best of the decade? You've GOT to be joking).....then Russ before him only picked Fallout New Vegas correctly with a whole lot of bad, horrible and ugly......Red Dead Redemption is OK but its silly zombie DLC. And don't you think it's time to stop worshiping shooter clones? Black Ops, Halo whatever and so on.....short campaigns with poor stories and repetitive multiplayer. If you play one of these you've played them all and none are worth $60 by a long shot.

Three more editors to go and so far I am amazed at the stunning amount of bad taste.
I have to agree with most of your points. This is a 'favorites' list though. Not best.
It's supposed to be games that the editors liked, not game popularity, innovation, or shininess. Honestly, my favorite game of this year was a Professor Layton game. And there is nothing wrong with that or any of their choices. We all have different tastes.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I'm very happy to see Napoleon: Total War on there. It is my favorite game of the year for sure, so many hours of fun.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Of the top 5 game lists so far, this is the one which rocks the most. Besides Rock Band, Steve Butts has narrowed down some of the most awesome and compelling games of 2010 - in my humble opinion of course. ME2 would have made it on my no. 1 on my list, since I've been playing at least 30 playthroughs since its release, and still hungers for more.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
A RPG fan that doesn't have Fallout in his top 5? What? :(

EDIT: Didn't see that Fallout was already mentioned in the other editor's top 5. I assume you can't use the same games.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Happy to see Rock Band 3 as someones favourite game of the year :) It's certainly mine and is deserving of more respect than it tends to get most of the time. Overall good list, even though I havn't played ANY of the other games yet, though I really want to play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but havn't gotten a chance yet since I've been busy.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yeah, I was miffed at Mass Effect 2 for the same reasons as you.
Tbh, I love RPG elements, but I didn't actually miss them in ME2. I felt they were done somewhat poorly in the first ME and the improvements on gameplay more than made up for the lack of the ability to upgrade a pile of things.

OT: I wish I could agree with you on Napoleon and your subsequent wish for the American Civil War but frankly I couldn't be happier that the next installment is Japan, mainly because of one reason - Total War series functions MUCH better imo and is much more interesting when there's a focus on melee rather than ranged. I like being able to utilize both, melee front, ranged back on support fire but you don't really get much of this in periods with guns. I have to say though, the ship combat is pretty much amazing, I thought I'd hate the feature (didn't play the British conquests), but really loved it.

Oh and aside my dislike of the American Civil War (in the sense that it was boring), there's just not enough factions there to make a Total War game, they focus on the conflict between several civilizations, not civil wars between just two factions from the same country. It doesn't really have any room for anything interesting, all the soldiers would be more or less the same with just a slightly different accent and a different leader/ideology, no room for special units and all that.

Oh and Rock Band... well cool if you're into party games with non-gamers, but personally I'm not much for that (and of note, I'm not a console fan and those games lose all point when played on a keyboard really). I can't consider it much of a real game though to be honest because it totally boils down to gameplay with very little background and the players are so focused on watching what they have to press next that the little background that's there might as well be a few paper cutouts of the band :\

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Darth Trethon said:

I shake my head in wonder at your inability to understand that opinions cannot be incorrect. It's not bad taste, they just like games you don't.

In all honesty you just come across as somebody who's very angry people like what you don't like, and believes people cannot hold an opinion different from your own. You dismissively state all those things as if they're facts.

Now what are your top 5 games of the year?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Woo total war makes a list! <3 total war series :D Fleet Battles are epic! (especially when you manage a critical hit and BOOM!)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Steve Butts said:
poiumty said:
So, Steve Butts. Must've been an awkward childhood, eh?
My only consolation is that now I can just ban the crap out of anyone who makes fun of it.
Steve Butts, let me say that I love you.
No no, that's not right. I wuv you.

DA was awesome, ME2 was awesome, I've been playing Total War since it came out, and the AC series is a blast.
You seem like someone I'd get along great with at LAN parties. Someone I could play through Baldur's Gate with multiplayer, or who would swap great RPG moment stories. That is awesome, and you are awesome.

Great list! I look forward to seeing the rest of the staff picks!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Steve is apparently the only editor at the Escapist with a good taste in games :p

Apr 8, 2008
There was an error in the review of Napoleon Total War*----You will NOT get the chance to play the Little Corporal himself unless they come out with WWII Total War.Napoleon's lowest rank was Lieutenant,just after being the first Corsican to graduate from the Academy.---Adolf Hitler however, was a corporal in WWI and was the one referred to as the Little Corporal,by Hindenburg....It was a diss.

*I suppose that you could say that "The Little Corporal" is your own nickname for Napoleon and you would be correct.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Darth Trethon said:

since when do popular and innovative have anything to do with someone's favorite games. These arent video game awards, where the winner of best sound track goes to a game with nothing more than a "Compilation Album" collection. This is purely opinion.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Smitty of the Tolchocks said:
There was an error in the review of Napoleon Total War*----You will NOT get the chance to play the Little Corporal himself unless they come out with WWII Total War.Napoleon's lowest rank was Lieutenant,just after being the first Corsican to graduate from the Academy.---Adolf Hitler however, was a corporal in WWI and was the one referred to as the Little Corporal,by Hindenburg....It was a diss.

*I suppose that you could say that "The Little Corporal" is your own nickname for Napoleon and you would be correct.
Nope. I called him that because that was the name his troops gave him after his campaign against Austria. Well, technically, they called him La Petit Caporal, but let's not confuse the issue.

You're right to say he never held that rank officially. Some historians speculate that he was given the name because he personally sighted his artillery. Since this was a job normally done by a corporal, his men started calling him The Little Corporal. Napoleon, anxious to promote at the least the appearance of egalitarianism, probably didn't do much to discourage them.