Steve Jobs Tribute Statue Will Give You Nightmares

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steve Jobs Tribute Statue Will Give You Nightmares

A bizarre new statue of Steve Jobs makes the Apple co-founder look like a Dead Space Necromorph.

Serbian sculptor Dragan Radenovic unveiled his new statue of Steve Jobs yesterday, the day that would have been Jobs' 59th birthday, and you know what? I can't even put words to it. I honestly do not know what to say, except that I am seriously freaked out by it.

It appears to stand about three feet tall, with what is presumably Jobs' head perched atop a squared-off pillar. A pair of Cyrillic letters whose meaning eludes me pokes out above a 1 and a 0 representing the binary system that makes computers do their magic, although those of you with more vivid imaginations may see a couple of those characters in a more anatomical light, if you know what I mean. Yeah, you know what I mean.

[gallery=2144]

The amazing thing about this godawful monstrosity (and let's not mince words here, this thing is horrific) is that it was chosen as the winner of a competition with more than 10,000 entries, and Jony Ive, Apple's senior vice president of design, reportedly really likes it. That means there's a good chance it's going to get even worse: This piece is just a scale mock-up and if the design is approved by the appropriate great minds, a full-size version standing between ten and 16 feet tall will be built and placed on Apple's campus. Jobsman Be Praised!

Source: Business Insider [http://www.netokracija.com/steve-jobs-bista-68621]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Those letters might be that "sss" (on the right, higher; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ze_(Cyrillic) ) and the "tch" (on the left, lower; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_(Cyrillic) ) sound. Perhaps initials of sorts? "Sssteve Tchobs"? I dunno.
I don't like it, but I fail to see how it's that awful or reminiscent of necromorphs, though. It's an overgrown metal bust with seemingly random stuff stuck to it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
A pair of Cyrillic letters whose meaning eludes me pokes out
As someone who actually learned Russian Cyrillic, the meaning eludes ME, too.

It's... I'm assuming it's a backwards myakhkeey znahk and an "eh" someone set on fire (ь Э).

So... E flatten-word? What does an E and a verbal cue have to do with Steve Jobs?

I'm usually one to stick up for modern art, but this is just poor. Literally the only thing on it that makes sense is the 1 and 0.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Skeleon said:
Those letters might be that "sss" (on the right, higher; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ze_%28Cyrillic%29) and the "tch" (on the left, lower; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_%28Cyrillic%29) sound. Perhaps initials of sorts? "Sssteve Tchobs"? I dunno.
I hope not. Steve Jobs in Cyrillic is Стийвь Джобс. No need for the Zeh if they already have Ess, and "J"s are done using the Cyrillic "deh" and "zheh" (dzh).

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
lacktheknack said:
I hope not. Steve Jobs in Cyrillic is Стийвь Джобс. No need for the Zeh if they already have Ess, and "J"s are done using the Cyrillic "deh" and "zheh" (dzh).
That symbol on the left certainly doesn't look like ь to me, though. More like a mirrored ч.
For a second there I thought the shadow of the statue might have some significance, but it doesn't look like it does, on the photo at least. Perhaps from a particular angle? Or maybe it's just random crap, erm, art.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
It looks like somebody studied a little too much Brâncuși in art school. And is also insane.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Skeleon said:
lacktheknack said:
That symbol on the left certainly doesn't look like ь to me, though. More like a mirrored ч.
For a second there I thought the shadow of the statue might have some significance, but it doesn't look like it does, on the photo at least. Perhaps from a particular angle? Or maybe it's just random crap, erm, art.
Let's face it: The symbol on the left doesn't look like anything.

Therefore, I choose to believe it's half an ehf (ф), because about half an ehf accurately represents the amount of effort put into this sculpture.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Andy Chalk said:
As someone who actually learned Russian Cyrillic, the meaning eludes ME
That's because Russian Cyrillic and Serbian aren't the same. Serbs write literally what they hear and say. In their language words like mother and father would be spelled madr and fadr. So god only knows what the fuck that means.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Long Live Memory of Glorious Constructor of One Buttoned Victory!

He shall charge at our enemies with his legs of binary, and with his Glorious Armphabets, he shall tear them off sunder.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
lacktheknack said:
Andy Chalk said:
As someone who actually learned Russian Cyrillic, the meaning eludes ME
That's because Russian Cyrillic and Serbian aren't the same. Serbs write literally what they hear and say. In their language words like mother and father would be spelled madr and fadr. So god only knows what the fuck that means.
The meaning still eludes me. :D

Chemical Alia said:
It looks like somebody studied a little too much Brâncuși in art school. And is also insane.
Is Brâncuși an artist, or a language?

Mar 26, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
"Bird in Space" anyone?

It reminds me of that column of flesh that's in Hellraiser 2, which isn't a good thing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Art. I will never, ever understand art apparently. Necromorph is right. Someone get me a plasma cutter please. I thought it was just the head bust when I saw the article stub, but then when I saw the whole picture...wow.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
All Jobs did was make people want to buy a phone upgrade every year. Thats all. Didnt invent anything, just made it popular because it connection to their mp3 players. Nor did they make the first Tablet or Smart Phone. They just managed to sell it to people enough to make them upgrade every year for no real reason than because...(because is the reason).

Regardless, he had the brains to make those products house hold names so i give him that. That statue sucks as a tribute, what happened to having a statue of him as a person? Or just a head casting? Some times i think they go weird for the sake of it. Im sure those things have meaning, but its about first glance, and first glance is its awful. If his mum and dad are still around, they will think its ugly, not that it represents their sons work and life as im sure they wouldnt understand all that he did.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Images like this always pop in my head when I hear people what Video games to be "art".
This is what art is, well at least modern art, goes to show games like Dead Space are more "art" then Braid.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
I clicked the Dragan Radenovic tag in this post, but no related articles came up. Am I doing something wrong?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
It reminds me of the pillar from one of the Hellraiser movies... don't spill blood on it or it'll be the end of us all. Oh the wonders we'll see though...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Imagine walking into a room and seeing that ... thing ... just standing there. Judging you with its unknowable thoughts and impeccable styling.

You cannot scream loud enough.