Steve Jobs Tribute Statue Will Give You Nightmares

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
For some reason that sculpture reminds me of one of the monsters from the original The Thing, specifically the one that comes out after biting off the doctor's hands.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Considering the kind of person he was, I still can't believe that he's more popular than Gates. Gates has done a lot more philanthropic work than Jobs and seems to be an all right guy.

Liberte

Feb 27, 2014
offensively ugly for someone who was so dedicated to creating the beautiful.

I mean who would want to lick that?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
It comes across to me like it's a sculpture made by an art school student who was trying to be too clever.

I'm not saying all sculptures of people should be traditional. It just felt like perhaps the backstory explaining the symbolism took longer to write than actually designing and making the piece.

Tzeentch Anarchitect said:
Also, according to the apple upper management, the reason this hunk of garbage won is because they liked how it's "imperfect".
Ah, so the reason I've not been successful in Art is that my work is too good. Thanks one of the nicest things anyone's said.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I'm reasonably sure that's not cyrillic, but Greek. Lowercase Alpha and Omega(both turned sideways in the same direction as the "0" and "1"), which would fit thematically.

It also adds a new dimension to this monstrosity's symbolism: anvilicious hero-worship on a megalomanic scale.

No wonder Apple likes it.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
"Hello B-b-b-b-bill. It´s your old friend Sssssteve. I came back for you, now we can be t-t-t-together forever. Why that look, B-b-b-bill? What´ssss wrong? Don´t you l-l-l-loooove me anymore? Come here, give your old friend a k-k-k-kisssss."

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I apparently don't find the statue as horrifying as everyone else does. It's just kinda weird.

That being said, I don't really see how it's a fitting tribute to Steve Jobs either, you'd think his statue would be elegent and minimalistic with lots of rounded edges, or something like that. Isn't that the design aesthetic he helped pioneer which became the backbone of Apple's identity? I don't remember him being known as the guy who took PCs and made them weird and confusing looking.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
So what is the artist trying to achieve with this piece?
I tried to figure it out by looking at it, but can't say that I have a clue at all.

I like modern art a lot when I see that the artist is trying to pour his soul into it in order to express something. This does absolutely nothing for me though. The binary seems totally cliché and I honestly don't have a clue what the supposed cyrillic is doing there.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The shadow it casts makes it look like an exotic sex toy, that speaks volumes about the design of the thing...

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Holy shit, that's one butt ugly statue. I think the person who made this thing secretly hated Steve jobs, that's the only logic i'm getting out of this statue.

I know the classical style of statues is boring to some people, but it would have been a much better choice then...this.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I like it.

I think it looks hilarious, and I love how crumpy the head looks and how the symbolism is nonsense.
As far as art goes, I far prefer stupid over dull.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Yup, the 0 and 1 definitely makes a penis and they're in the right spot. Maybe the artist is paying tribute to Job's creativity in regards to computer stuff by making the 0 and 1 (COMPUTER STUFF!) into a penis (responsible for helping in the CREATION of life).

Am I deep and insightful now?

On the other hand, maybe the artist just had penises on their mind when they designed the thing. Or maybe they're just insane because that statue really does look some kind of Lovecraftian relic.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
it looks like the liquid metal terminator from T2:Judgement Day was disguising itself as a metal pillar and is in mid morph..

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Pffff.
To give me nightmare you need provide me much more horrifying sight
But it's still ugly as fuck (bad fuck, with rotten remains of a dog)

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Just a pillar with the head would be fine. For some reason the Cyrillic and binary poking out just makes it look creepy. And I don't know why this is, either.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
That is not a statue: that's a T-1000! They bought the patent for the metal [http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/09/apple-buys-out-liquidmetal-patents-to-stay-one-step-ahead-in-materials-game/], soon they'll download Jobs' mind into it and the Trendy Global Machines Despotate will be upon us!

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Sadly Hitler was right about one thing: Modern, or rather, Post-Modern Art is bile.