Steven Spielberg to Produce New Halo Movie Project?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Banok said:
Omega Hunter 9 said:
I'm more worried about the 'writer of GI Joe' bit than Spielberg. Writing can sink a movie to levels directing (typically)can't.
agreed. Spielberg is pro director this other guy sounds pretty fail.

if Spielberg was to direct a computer game film I'd rather it was the upcoming bioshock film. because lets face it halo is about as original as the walkers crisps flavour.
I concur. I think that Spielberg is a great director, sadly I wasn't interested in GI. Joe although I know that other people were. Hopefully the Halo movie (if there is one) won't feel as forced and cliche as I found GI. Joe to be.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
DreamWorks or no DreamWorks, a Halo movie will still be as mediocre as the games themselves. Spielberg may be a directorial genius, but with him behind the megaphone Master Chief is gonna turn out to be Capt. John H. Miller (increasingly obscure movie reference and if you get it you know how big of an insult that really is).

And we just KNOW that Michael Clarke Duncan will voice nearly every Covenant soldier in the whole movie because no other has the deep intimidating manly voice every alien badass that only Capt. Miller can defeat.

At least if Peter Jackson directed it we'd have the prospect of giant apes climbing buildings or orcs showing up, giving the Halo universe the desperately needed spicing up it's needed for ages.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
Traditionally game based movies have just fallen short of the experience. As have the anime based movies. The only one I'm looking forward to is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/ , though it's not even a certainty at the moment.
At any rate a picture it worth a thousand words and I think I have found one that sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
NO SPIELBERG! You keep your hands OFF the Halo movie NOW!!! I don't want you anywhere near this film. You too GI Joe Writer... I want a capable team making this movie so it can turn out to be one of the few good video game movies and it CAN'T do that with Spielberg.

Chainsaws_of_War_2

Jan 15, 2009
Hopefully Bungie would be allowed to assist in the feel of the movie and the direction it would go.

I'm not a huge fan of the GI Joe writer but at least he got the action part down, and I would like to see that in the Halo movie if it ever reaches production.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Sources - including ... CAA and "studio executives"
CAA? What does the Canadian Auto Association have to do with this? Does my insurance cover Warthogs now?

---------

Seriously, I wish PJ was still on the block for this one - between him, even in just a producing role, and Weta Workshops (who have proven their dedication to the Halo universe many times) it could have been the first truly epic film adaptation of a video game.

Spielberg has a bad habit of making trashy action flicks nowadays. I am not comforted by the news of his potential involvement.

---------

crooked_ferret said:
At any rate a picture it worth a thousand words and I think I have found one that sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.
Ooh! Sisko facepalm! Classy.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I actually don't think how good it is really matters too much. It really depends, if it is bad, how bad it is.

I think my friends and I would just get hyped over from seeing Master Chief on the big screen that we will enjoy the movie regardless. Seeing the flushed out world and some great CGI should be rewarding enough.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
i don't really care either way, i think Spielberg can make a good version of it. he hasn't directed any really bad movies lately, most of the ones people blame him for weren't directed by him at all

'nuff said.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
I think a halo adaption has good potential as an action film. I see good things ahead.

JoeKickAzz

Feb 22, 2009
doxcology said:
NO SPIELBERG! You keep your hands OFF the Halo movie NOW!!! I don't want you anywhere near this film. You too GI Joe Writer... I want a capable team making this movie so it can turn out to be one of the few good video game movies and it CAN'T do that with Spielberg.
do you even know who Spielberg is?!?!?!

he would do a great job on any movie hollywood asks him to do.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
this is a warning of armageddon, and Steven Spielburg's career ending

JoeKickAzz said:
doxcology said:

you are talking about Halo, and still think that the movie will come out descent? its going to have 3 fucktons of money for revenue, but its going to peak at 20% on rotten tomatoes, likely 5% on the VIP list on that site. Halo is not a Series that works as a film, it doesnt even work beyond the first game.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
cantthinkofausername said:
Well, I'm not a big fan of the Halo series anymore but I always respected it so I will indeed watch this movie if it comes out.
dont, you will just be further reinforcing the fact that while it will make a killing, it actually will turn out terrible. Halo was made as a oneshot game that ended up being spiraled far beyond its outer limits. Halo 1 is good, the rest are terrible. the thing is, Halo was a gun with one bullet, but Microsoft managed to fire at the right second to somehow kill 7 people with it. its something that shouldnt have happened but did.

JoeKickAzz

Feb 22, 2009
toapat said:

JoeKickAzz said:
doxcology said:

you are talking about Halo, and still think that the movie will come out descent? its going to have 3 fucktons of money for revenue, but its going to peak at 20% on rotten tomatoes, likely 5% on the VIP list on that site. Halo is not a Series that works as a film, it doesnt even work beyond the first game.
oh i see, your just another one of those halo haters

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
JoeKickAzz said:
toapat said:

JoeKickAzz said:
doxcology said:

no, halo's entire storyline doesnt work outside of Halo 1. i only hate Halo 2,3,wars, and the books

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Since you know so much about the halo story, maybe you can tell me who the primary character is.
You know, the one who's actions and consequences for those actions are felt in every game, book and graphic novel.

At least KNOW the story before you say it "doesn't work".

JoeKickAzz

Feb 22, 2009
toapat said:
JoeKickAzz said:
toapat said:

JoeKickAzz said:
doxcology said:

no, halo's entire storyline doesnt work outside of Halo 1. i only hate Halo 2,3,wars, and the books
ahh so your one of those people who liked only halo 1....ok i get u man