Steven Spielberg to Produce New Halo Movie Project?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Steven Spielberg to Produce New Halo Movie Project?

Late last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93447-No-More-Halo-for-Peter-Jackson], word broke that Peter Jackson's Halo movie project had broken down - but rumors are now flying that the film is back on track with another big-name producer: Steven Spielberg.

Perhaps we should have seen this coming - despite the news that Lord of the Rings visionary Peter Jackson was no longer involved with the Halo film, Microsoft seemed quite insistent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93505-Microsoft-Says-Jacksons-Halo-Project-Is-Still-Alive] that the film was still alive. Plus, we know that Microsoft has a good relationship with the legendary director - he was on stage at E3 2009 to help with the debut of Project Natal, wasn't he?

Film site IESB [http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7261:iesb-exclusive-master-chief-and-halo-may-be-coming-to-the-big-screen-sooner-than-expected-with-a-new-big-name-producer&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73] says that sources - including talent agency CAA and "studio executives" - have confirmed that Spielberg is currently in talks to produce the project. Spielberg, claims the report, was "blown away" by the script penned by GI Joe: Rise of Cobra writer Stuart Beattie.

Said script reportedly covers the events of the Halo prequel novel The Fall of Reach, about a young boy named John who is taken from his parents at an early age, and is physically modified and well-trained to become a deadly supersoldier with the designation Spartan-117 - better known as the Master Chief. Then those pesky Covenant come into the picture about halfway through the film, and things go pear-shaped from there.

Spielberg is also a big fan of games - he produced Boom Blox, after all - and young Transformers and Indiana Jones star Shia LaBeouf says that the industry veteran was enjoying (and getting stuck in) BioShock [http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_6811&pageNum=2].

Now, keep in mind that 1.) these are just rumors, 2.) even if they're true, Spielberg is just in talks to produce the film, and 3.) even if said talks are successful, he'd just be producing - not directing. Still, the news that the Halo movie project may still have legs should be heartening to some.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5333561/steven-spielberg-to-produce-halo-movie])

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I hope this is nothing more than speculation, that this rumor doesn't end up being true. Two decades ago, Spielberg's name would have been a sign of quality for a film. Now, it is still a sign of quality, albeit in a more negative fashion.

Omega Hunter 9

Feb 25, 2009
I'm more worried about the 'writer of GI Joe' bit than Spielberg. Writing can sink a movie to levels directing (typically)can't.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Meh I still don't think a Halo movie would be any good but at least they are going with the Fall of Reach story. Thats probably the best story in the entire Halo universe. The storylines from the games wouldn't translate well to movie form imo.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I remenber when Spielberg did and was involved in good movies. Now? Just some guy that should stop making movies. Fast.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Omega Hunter 9 said:
I'm more worried about the 'writer of GI Joe' bit than Spielberg. Writing can sink a movie to levels directing (typically)can't.
Producing not directing.

Omega Hunter 9

Feb 25, 2009
McCa said:
Omega Hunter 9 said:
Producing not directing.
My mistake. However, as producer, Spielberg would concentrate on the effects, finances, and props, which we already know have already had a lot of work done. I'm still thinking that the GI Joe writer part is the bigger 'red flag' of the article.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Omega Hunter 9 said:
McCa said:
Omega Hunter 9 said:
Producing not directing.
My mistake. However, as producer, Spielberg would concentrate on the effects, finances, and props, which we already know have already had a lot of work done. I'm still thinking that the GI Joe writer part is the bigger 'red flag' of the article.
This is Speilberg remember? With him, producing = directing.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Hm... I heard about this yesterday, and I've been weighing the pros and cons ever since.

Pros:
A) It's finally getting done (if this is true, and if it pulls through)
B) Spielberg has worked with and produced amazing movies before.
C) His name may attract some good actors

Cons:
A) He might use the dreaded, so-called "son of Indiana Jones", like he has so often recently: Shia Lapoof
B) Even if the writer stayed faithful to the source material, Spielburg may ask for changes causing it to alienate fans of the book
C) The biggest problem: it will alienate fans of just the games. I mean, come on, you know how many people complain about movies that don't cut to the chase. Half of the movie without Covies may cause people to complain and ***** about "not enough action". If it was faithful to the book, I would love it, but I'm a minority on this one.

... Hm, I suppose that's not the biggest problem. The potential director is. If they get Michael Bay, or worse, The Boll, this movie would mean the last chance video game based movies would have is Warcraft.

Omega Hunter 9

Feb 25, 2009
Proteus214 said:
This is Speilberg remember? With him, producing = directing.
Let's remember the last part of the OP:

"Now, keep in mind that 3.) even if said talks are successful, he'd just be producing - not directing. "

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
C) The biggest problem: it will alienate fans of just the games. I mean, come on, you know how many people complain about movies that don't cut to the chase. Half of the movie without Covies may cause people to complain and ***** about "not enough action". If it was faithful to the book, I would love it, but I'm a minority on this one.
Very good point right here. Especially considering the Halo books are indeed not "all action, all the time." Unless the movie ends up being really long it will be hard to balance being faithful to the book and making it an action flick...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Omega Hunter 9 said:
McCa said:
Omega Hunter 9 said:
Producing not directing.
I wasn't disagreeing just being pedantic :p Yeah GI:joe writer isn't something to be proud of... more witness protection.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i don't really care either way, i think Spielberg can make a good version of it. he hasn't directed any really bad movies lately, most of the ones people blame him for weren't directed by him at all

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Bigeyez said:
Meh I still don't think a Halo movie would be any good but at least they are going with the Fall of Reach story. Thats probably the best story in the entire Halo universe. The storylines from the games wouldn't translate well to movie form imo.
Well, as a Halo fanboy and amateur film-maker myself I can see the positives and negatives of a Halo film. If done by the right person it could work. After all, Resident Evil wasn't too bad (could have been better, but still, I personally enjoyed it). Steven Spielberg has been involved with a lot of great stuff and, as a game buff too, he's more well positioned than most to see that a game-based movie goes well and is well recieved by gamers (some of the harshest critics of video game films). Plus, Microsoft would be heavily involved, as they were with the novels, so it would definitely fit the canon of the series. I quite like the idea, to be honest. I'd love to see a Halo movie and The Fall Of Reach is the best of the series so far to be considered. It's great too for non-Halo fans who may see the film who don't understand what's going on. I'm not sure about the games being translated into films, but TFOR would work. Here's hoping it gets the go-ahead :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
-Zen- said:
I hope this is nothing more than speculation, that this rumor doesn't end up being true. Two decades ago, Spielberg's name would have been a sign of quality for a film. Now, it is still a sign of quality, albeit in a more negative fashion.
Yeah, pretty much - ok, Saving Private Ryan was good; but I think only Peter Jackson could have broken the mould of crap video game movies. I don't think Steven has enough skill now to achieve it .... However, Steven, if your reading this, PROVE ME WRONG!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Good grief; just get Uwe Boll on it, so we can be done with it :mad:

Is it a movie? It's been shelved. It's in production! It's in limbo. It's having a baby with Britney Spears?! It shaved it's head and pooped in a diaper.

[...anger subsiding]

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
it's too bad he wouldn't be directing since he's actually really great at directing action and setpieces whereas most newbie directors now are too ADD-influenced and use editing to hide their inept directing at action. I hope he all of a sudden goes "you know, screw it, I'm doing it"

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
Omega Hunter 9 said:
agreed. Spielberg is pro director this other guy sounds pretty fail.

if Spielberg was to direct a computer game film I'd rather it was the upcoming bioshock film. because lets face it halo is about as original as the walkers crisps flavour.