Stolen Pixels #1: Surreal Tournament

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
To answer some questions:

1) I'll be making fun of many games, not just UT3. How could anyone limit themselves to a single game when so many of them suck on such a spectacular scale? This is gruesome work, not unlike exterminating vermin.

2) Field LAttice Generator: Is stupid and will be ridiculed in due time. (Friday.) Would that my scythe could strike more quickly.

3) Someone praised me for not making a cut & paste comic. True: My crime is vandalism, not recycling.

4) Thanks for reading.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Also: I wrote the bit about ping-pong long before Paint the Line began. Just in case someone thought I was going for some sort of clumsy tie-in: I'm not. Just an odd coincidence.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I am a giant fanboy of Shamus Young's work, and followed both DM of the Rings and Chainmail Bikini religiously. Him writing comics for us makes me very happy!

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
pretty good, fairly funny, intelligent, however it kinda felt too complex, like each joke shoulda been its own strip. but all in all pretty good and im excited to see this not fail, like drawn by pain or video game theatre or most of the new content on this site that isnt press b to jump or de rez

Task

Jul 8, 2008
Thank you very, very much for not trying to work in the colonel sounding like a rap artist. I never got the spectacular array of accents they used in that game. They were only Scottish and South African short of a complete set!
Good job.

edcalaban

Jun 22, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
As long as we don't see any miscarriages in the near future I give this two thumbs up.
No Field LAttice Generator pregnancy scare? I mean come ON, isn't that the best way to amass drama for those weird artist ritual things?

Steven Rokiski

Sep 23, 2006
As I clicked on the latest announcement trumpeting the arrival of the latest issue, I noticed the extra paragraph at the top announcing a webcomic as the newest addition to The Escapist's media menagerie.

With trepidation, I clicked. I saw. I chuckled.

As my smile faded, I read the sidebar to the right, working my way towards an italicized paragraph. "Shamus Young, eh? That sounds awfully familiar" I thought as I skimmed the last bit. Before I finished the second sentence I realized "Thats the guy who did DM Of The Rings!"

The editors of The Escapist are wise. If only they'd bring back the beautiful widescreen format (and the PDFs).

Bozzie

Jul 9, 2008
I've always enjoyed your work Shamus. Now I just have one more reason besides ZP to visit The Escapist. Keep up the good work.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Good to see Escapist caught on to Shamus Young's genius: poking fun at games with images and words...Waaaait a second.
Note: I don't in any way think Shamus is a Yahtzee rip-off. I'm happy as a fanboy who's had his choices validated by others; Twenty Sided is my favourite blog. Go Shamus!

NobleBear

Jul 9, 2008
ZP is a good start, SP is an excellent follow up!

More of these, please. :D

Note to editors: Shamus being here gave me a reason to actually register, thanks for bringing him on. :)

NRD80Y

Jul 10, 2008
NobleBear said:
Note to editors: Shamus being here gave me a reason to actually register, thanks for bringing him on. :)
Same here. Shamus' style and humour will keep everyone coming back!

Cheshire_Cat

May 20, 2008
The dude in the battle skirt is Blake, isn't it? That guy has not stopped being a whiny pain in the ass since the first Unreal Tournament.

Very enjoyable comic and an interesting review of that portion of UT3.

Looking forward to reading more.

mgold07

Jun 9, 2009
I couldn't see a skirt o_O

"You capture flags" I don't, I just dual pistol and flak the hell out of the opposition, near a flag.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
T'was one of the bigger downfalls of UT3. I feel they invested too much time in the wrong things.
They tried to make the "single player" deep when everyone who plays the UT franchise knew and loved it as an arena shooter. There was really no need for it. It was never going to fit unless they would have specifically made some kind of actual single player game. (which would have been stupid as again, arena shooter is what UT is and always has been)

The many short comings of UT3 made me quite sad as I was a UT99 and (especially) a UT2004 junkie and UT3 felt so hollow, soulless and not particularly tailored to PC's either.
I also disliked that Epic gave us (especially PC players) a sub-par and schizophrenic game and when it naturally didn't sell too well they blamed it on the times saying that no one plays arena shooters any more. Another example of devs blaming poor sales on everything but themselves.

Ooops. I started to rant again.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
a friend and I played some Unreal Tournament 3 a while back...pretty good time, tho we stopped once Gears 3 rolled around