Stolen Pixels #115: BadWord

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #115: BadWord

Except for the expletives and gore, Madworld is a wholesome Wii experience.

Read Full Article

Apr 28, 2008
hehe, funny, although one of the announcers was John Dimaggio, so that helped the repetition.

And did you post 2 of these?
I see 2 of these on the front page.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
This comic prompted me to check out YouTube to watch some gameplay videos. And I gotta say, the comic is pretty spot-on. The game is just loud an obnoxious with the music, the sound effects, and the commentary seemingly competing in a contest to see who's louder. Simply watching the game, it got really repetitive really fast. I can't see myself having been entertained with the game much longer than that Turbine event it started about 5 minutes after starting the game.

The phrase "Trying too hard" and this game... it's like when someone says "Hate's a strong word" and you reply by saying it isn't strong enough. To say this game tries too hard is an understatement.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
You have convinced me to not play this game. Sounds almsot Identical to what Yahtzee says. So I guess I'll just use my Wii as a Paperweight, AGAIN!

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
I thought MadWorld was fun. The announcers are hilarious, but I do admit that they have a tendency to repeat themselves. But it is a unique game, and it is at least worth a rent.

Awesome comic, though.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Nice, though I don't need more convincing not to get the game. If I need a fill of gratuitous violence while being taped for smut films, I still have Manhunt lying around.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
I thought MadWorld was fun. The announcers are hilarious, but I do admit that they have a tendency to repeat themselves. But it is a unique game, and it is at least worth a rent.

Awesome comic, though.
This - I enjoyed cutting people in half with my chainsaw. One of the other voices was Greg Proops, and if you do different moves, they will say different things... ;) Just sayin!

However your lyrics were effin amazing.

Jagyr Ebonwood

Aug 19, 2008
Got this game as a gift. First thing I did was turn off the absolutely horrendous music.

It's not a game I regularly sit down and play, but it's fun for 10 minute chunks at a time. After that, it is a little tiresome.

evan573

Jul 20, 2009
so true and i like what you did with the lyrics. now we have more proof that the wii is pissing at the edges of the gaming gene pool. if that make sense (too late i already wrote it AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahh!! *runs away*)

supahhbad200

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder what they were thinking when they put the game in black and white some color would have been nice.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
MadWorld was fun while it lasted but it is short which is probably good in retrospect because it started to grate my senses by the end. If you own a Wii and are on this website, you owe it to yourself to at least rent it. I always assumed that the self-parody(and all other parody) was intentional.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I kinda enjoyed the music and commentary. MadWorld was intended to be over-the-top stupid fun. It's only appropriate that the sound design be equally over-the-top. The rap is good, as long as you're willing to forget about sophistication and just enjoy the ride.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
VGFreak1225 said:
I kinda enjoyed the music and commentary. MadWorld was intended to be over-the-top stupid fun. It's only appropriate that the sound design be equally over-the-top. The rap is good, as long as you're willing to forget about sophistication and just enjoy the ride.
Just because something is meant to be a certain way, doesn't automatically make it good just for being that way. If I make a sandwich by sticking a piece of shit between the bread and serve it to you, is it a good sandwich because I meant it to taste lousy?

Of course not, the purpose of my making the sandwich was that someone should eat it, and if no one likes how it tastes, then no one will eat it, even if it tastes exactly how I meant it to taste. Mad World is the same way. You argue that it's okay for the music and sound effects to be as loud as they are because that's how they were meant to be. I'm telling you that its exactly why I feel it's a poorly made game. All your argument states is that they made the game poorly on purpose.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
VGFreak1225 said:
Just because something is meant to be a certain way, doesn't automatically make it good just for being that way. If I make a sandwich by sticking a piece of shit between the bread and serve it to you, is it a good sandwich because I meant it to taste lousy?

Of course not, the purpose of my making the sandwich was that someone should eat it, and if no one likes how it tastes, then no one will eat it, even if it tastes exactly how I meant it to taste. Mad World is the same way. You argue that it's okay for the music and sound effects to be as loud as they are because that's how they were meant to be. I'm telling you that its exactly why I feel it's a poorly made game. All your argument states is that they made the game poorly on purpose.
Alright, you do have a point. In the end, I thought the music ludicrous but catchy, and the commentary was overdone, but still funny.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I would agree with what folks said above: I'm making fun of the game, but I do think it's worth a rental.