Stolen Pixels #118: A Farce to be Reckoned With

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
domicius said:
Maybe Koreans don't have LAN parties? I pretty much get the impression that Starcraft 2 is being crafted for the Korean market first and foremost, and the rest of the world next.

And since Koreans have those 100Mbps lines, they probably don't care much for LANning.

Roll on 2010
Lol this is so completely wrong.
South Koreans are the ones who absolutely must have a LAN connection in their Starcraft 2, because they play it as a high level professional sport. If Battle.net somehow allows the connection be routed locally, then this problem would be solved, if however there will be more than 5ms latency, there will be an uproar in the Korean e-sports community.

And you know what would be just perfect irony? Someone releasing a hacked version of Starcraft 2 with LAN support and that being downloaded by hundreds of thousands of people.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
paketep said:
Blizzard has already said Piracy is not the reason. They might be lying, of course.

The truth is, they want us all to go through BNet 2.0, and they don't give a fuck what we want, or even if we CAN.
They might just want to be able to tell investors how many people are playing every day, like they can with WoW. There might very well be a local connection option, but they would still want you to access Battle.net to see that you are playing.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I never got into Starcraft, but I know how you feel.

All the best games are played via LAN, and it's the only way to play an RTS, in my opinion.

EDIT: Funnily enough, I'm going to a LAN party today.

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
Really loved that one...it was very funny!
I haven't got myself into playing starcraft but i do think that removing LAN is a pretty thing.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Guess the days of dark mysterious evil overlords are over....and I was just starting to feel nostalgic

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And the Devil is downhearted, baby, 'cause there's nothin' left for him to claim.

He said, "It's just like home
It's so low-down I can't stand it.
I guess my work around here has all been done."

Don Henley, The Garden of Allah

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of law preventing corporations from holding a monopoly on evil. Then there's no competition, and the quality of evil will drop, until we're all standing in lines at the SuperMegaConglomoStore, buying cans of watered-down, substandard evil for three bucks a pop.

Rise up! Resist! Reassert your right to quality, independent sources of evil!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
rohit9891 said:
Really loved that one...it was very funny!
I haven't got myself into playing starcraft but i do think that removing LAN is a petty thing.
Fixed it for you ;)

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Never been to a LAN but I imagine it to be a glorious party.

But I didn't think it was such a big deal since people would still play together through battle.net and if you don't have reliable internet what are the chances you have a rig to run Starcraft 2?

But I only say that because I don't understand until I try it. There just something about LANs that when I imagine them in my head it's just full of awesome. Just so gritty, geeky, and old school it all is.

PodX140

Jul 1, 2009
dochmbi said:
domicius said:
Maybe Koreans don't have LAN parties? I pretty much get the impression that Starcraft 2 is being crafted for the Korean market first and foremost, and the rest of the world next.

And since Koreans have those 100Mbps lines, they probably don't care much for LANning.

Roll on 2010
Lol this is so completely wrong.
South Koreans are the ones who absolutely must have a LAN connection in their Starcraft 2, because they play it as a high level professional sport. If Battle.net somehow allows the connection be routed locally, then this problem would be solved, if however there will be more than 5ms latency, there will be an uproar in the Korean e-sports community.

And you know what would be just perfect irony? Someone releasing a hacked version of Starcraft 2 with LAN support and that being downloaded by hundreds of thousands of people.
Might have been said, but I guarantee with every ounce of knowing in my body that thats exactly what will happen. I can guarantee that one of the old cd-patching groups, (Razor, Reloaded, ect.) will be on this one project immediately. and once they release it, it may be so viciously pirated for that lan that downloads may exceed sales. At least I hope they exceed it. It may teach something to Blizzard. Don't screw over the customers and with a time tested formula because you want to dick around with your "Perfect online System".

Expie

Jan 8, 2010
Telas said:
Actually, the middle-finger thing feels a lot better than the online petition...
I didn't even bother to open the window. :)

dochmbi said:
There's an amusing thought. :)