Stolen Pixels #122: Right Behind You

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #122: Right Behind You

Staring contest 2009: Guard vs. Wall

Read Full Article

Sylias

Apr 20, 2009
Aside from it being totally and sadly true I´d somehow like to know if the spelling "Dummkoph" was intentional or not.
All the other German words where correctly spelled... so why is this one different ( and do people who don´t speak German actually notice stuff like this ? )

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Sylias said:
Aside from it being totally and sadly true I´d somehow like to know if the spelling "Dummkoph" was intentional or not.
All the other German words where correctly spelled... so why is this one different ( and do people who don´t speak German actually notice stuff like this ? )
My bad. I obviously don't know the language. I typed it in to Google as best as I could remember, and the first result was: Did you mean "Dummkoph"?

So I figured that would be the right spelling.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
Does Velvet Assasin use the Source Engine? Or did you get the footage ingame?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Diablini said:
Does Velvet Assasin use the Source Engine? Or did you get the footage ingame?
These are just straight-up screenshots with a little cropping to focus on the guards and hide interface elements. I would love if I could do all source comics because it's simply so much easier to make clean, well-posed shots of what I need, but there are only so many jokes I can make about Valve games.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
In the online children's game, Free Realms, there is a quest that contains two bad guys staring at a wall with their backs to you. They are the first thing you see when you enter the instance.

They proceed to have an entire conversation about why they're standing there, staring at the wall. It's absolutely hilarious!

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair the first time I saw it.

Leslee

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Sylias said:
My bad. I obviously don't know the language. I typed it in to Google as best as I could remember, and the first result was: Did you mean "Dummkoph"?

So I figured that would be the right spelling.
It should be "Dummkopf", I believe.

I noticed, but I can't claim to know no German, given I live here! I don't speak it very well, but I understand a fair bit.

And I, too, wish for slightly more realistic guard AI. Then the neck-stabbing will be all the more satisfying for having been a tad more challenging! lol

DocSmiley

Aug 29, 2009
As a native (Austrian) German speaker I can confirm: Everything is fine, apart from "Dummkoph", which should be "Dummkopf" (dumm=dumb, Kopf=head).

Finally something to say! ;o)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It's better to not turn around, because it may not be an assassin...it could be cthulhu.
Gets me thinking though, it would rock to play a game where you actually scare the piss out of enemy AI and they run away like a little girl. Medal of Honor Allied Assault comes close. A couple times I've had a guard see a soldier I had just killed, then sees me and gasps near to hyperventilation, but then he went and tried to shoot me. Shoulda just run away.
Maybe the problem is the enemy AI is programmed with too strong of loyalty to their job. Wouldn't want them going and leaving their post now, would we?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
samsonguy920 said:
It's better to not turn around, because it may not be an assassin...it could be cthulhu.

Gets me thinking though, it would rock to play a game where you actually scare the piss out of enemy AI and they run away like a little girl.
I guess I am never going to look over my shoulder ever again... I never took Cthulu into consideration.

Also, Batman Arkham Asylum seems to be on the right track. I decided to sit around watching the last guy walk around terrified, mumbling to himself and then suddenly a boiler blows off some steam and he freaks out! "Holy... stupid boiler scared the crap out of me!" - yet of course, they are still completely loyal to Joker, but their fear is evident. They usually have nowhere to run though.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
felixader said:
Play the latest batman. ^^
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Batman Arkham Asylum seems to be on the right track. I decided to sit around watching the last guy walk around terrified, mumbling to himself and then suddenly a boiler blows off some steam and he freaks out! "Holy... stupid boiler scared the crap out of me!" - yet of course, they are still completely loyal to Joker, but their fear is evident. They usually have nowhere to run though.
You sold me, gonna check the demo on that.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
samsonguy920 said:

Gets me thinking though, it would rock to play a game where you actually scare the piss out of enemy AI and they run away like a little girl.
I guess I am never going to look over my shoulder ever again... I never took Cthulu into consideration.

Also, Batman Arkham Asylum seems to be on the right track. I decided to sit around watching the last guy walk around terrified, mumbling to himself and then suddenly a boiler blows off some steam and he freaks out! "Holy... stupid boiler scared the crap out of me!" - yet of course, they are still completely loyal to Joker, but their fear is evident. They usually have nowhere to run though.
That's because the boiler is unpredictable just like the Joker. They never know when it is going to blow and hurt them. Which is why that scares them but those little rats that run from hole to hole on occasion don't.

Such a good game (AA that is not this VA thing).