Stolen Pixels #13: HypoCRITICAL

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #13: HypoCRITICAL

This installment of Stolen Pixels is a sing-a-long, so clear your throat and get ready to follow the bouncing meme.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
While I dislike meme's in general I agree that motiovational posters [http://www.addanimage.com/content/funny/motivation-funnies/motivational-posters-funny-07.jpg] manage to be funnier then whatever they depict. Perhaps because many of them manage the art of being subtle due to their nature.

pseudoidiot

Jul 22, 2008
Ha! Oh man, that was great. I agreed with everything in the comic, especially how much I hate lolcats and how funny motivational posters are sometimes.

And just when the comic was awesome enough, then there's a little song to sing. Great!

Oh, and the link to the original tune... classy.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Motivational Posters are not all funny but some are hilarious, that's right. On the other hand while the other memes are often crap there are a few images in between which have charm. That said though I'm not too fond of them neither.

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
Anyone who enjoyed this comic should definitely check out the "Director's cut" (as in, he cut things deliberately, and they stayed cut for good reason) over at Shamus' site: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1830

There's a whole "deleted scene"!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
You actually got me at the end with the roll : (

De-motivational posters have long since lost their original area of use ^^ A tiny, tiny part of them are funny, but that's just like anything else on the internet. Memes can be funny BECAUSE they are memes, if used in a way you didn't expect (like this Rick Roll for example : P)

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
As far as meme's go, the only ones that have lasting power, for me, are the motivational posters. Lolcats with bad spelling got really old really fast, decent rickrolls are as rare as shitting diamonds, Chuck Norris was fun, untill everyone started doing it everywhere all the time.

I guess meme's aren't my thing. Repetition does not equal funny in my book.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Almost got me, good thing I knew the tune before hand. Some motivationals are really good and threw me into stiches, a good portion of them are crap though.

in_95

Jul 2, 2008
Nice to get rickrolled again. Good times.

Lol cats are awful. I don't know why people continue to like them.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
No hate here, I liked just about every single one of those silly internet *gags*. Sorry, I'm feeling a bit ill, I can't stop gagging. ;D

But seriously, I really don't mind these silly joke fads in comparison to other memes that have existed, such as various propaganda, so I don't know why anyone would hate on it other than lack of finding a new experience in gag research & development. =D

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
Hey that's cheating Shamus! If you're going to put all that editorial comment over on your site [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1830] and then close the comments there, I'm just going to have to come over here and confuse people who havent read it...

I really like the Gabe and Tycho gag, and think it sets up the last panel better - I for one wouldn't have taken it as a dig at anyone but yourself. But you are right; it looks too much like the real thing if you were trying for the guest artist look - I assumed you'd just pinched images directly from Penny Arcade.

Loneduck3

Jul 12, 2008
I like how you Rick Roll'd the audience. I was expecting the last link to be a link to "Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. You know, in case "you can't remember the original tune"...
I still like Strong Bad. I like Ninjas, pirates. I think Portal is a good game. I like the occasional flash video. I think the problem with MEMEs, is you get people who derive meaning, self esteem, a sense of community, out of association or appreciation of these things. That's how you get people who like Trogdor way more than a little cartoon warrants. The internet is terrible about taking things in moderation. Well, them's my thoughts.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
That's the only Rick-Roll at which I've actually exclaimed profanity.

It was a good roll, but...

Dammit.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
i still love lolercats just because i love cats in general. i never thought they were brilliantly smart, i just loved the cats.

that being said, i get annoyed by inernet memes. i hate them in the same way that i hate people who say nothing but Simpson quotes. i hate people that can't offer their own insight or funny opinion but instead have to reference every aspect of their speech to something they've seen.

i also hate cliches, and obvious puns (so yes, i hate Sex & the City).

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
After several gigantic motivational poster threads on RPGnet, I've definitely had my fill, too.

It's much more challenging to make a lolcat about your favorite geek thing than a motivational poster (for starters, you have to find some combination of cat + your favorite geek thing).

-- Alex