Stolen Pixels #132: Special Guest: Master Chief

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Grand_Poohbah said:
ZahrDalsk said:
I've never looked at Stolen Pixels before.

And I probably won't look at it again.

0/10 on the trolling, kid.
Good idea. Probably won't come to the escapist anymore either.

Making fun of halo is so cool. You aren't cool on the internet unless you tell a bunch of people you'll never meet that you don't like halo.

Chances are most of you motherfuckers are just butthurt that halo actual was a success in the game world. Why that offends you I don't know, but then again everyone on this website takes large amount of cock from all the editors who think they're so much better than everyone else because they enjoy what they seem to call a "refined gaming experience." Seems the barbaric masses aren't good enough for them.

Believe it or not I don't own any halo games, It's not even my favorite game.

And I'll say it before anyone else has too. /ban

*GOOD GOD MAN that's a bit too much*
Actually acting like that I think your a bit more likely to get banned.

Jun 6, 2009
As a Halo Fan, I got to say that this was hilarious. But then again, that's coming from a Halo fan(sans-boy)and not a fanboy...

Still one of your best Shamus.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Vrex360 said:
hopeneverdies said:
Vrex360 said:
I don't agree with the statement about the corridors though, Halo games have always been known for giving the player a descent level of space.
The Library, oh God, the Library
Yeah okay, you got me there. The Library was absolute HELL... but it was a spacious hell nonetheless.
I loved the corridors in Halo and Halo 2, never got old for me, apart from one mission....
Everybody hates The Library, everybody.

I think I'll go play Halo now.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Shamus Young said:
The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of feral ragebots you can round up just by showing Master Chief in a bad light.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. You delivered it for me when you came in here and acted just like the angry fanboy parody I set up in the comic itself.
Thank you, Shamus. *sniff* I love you, Shamus...

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I find it odd that TWO PEOPLE were all angry and the rest of you are giggling in glee "Oh the trolls are gonna come out of hiding at this one!" It's like a recursive hate-on. You hate the trolls, but you want nothing more than to see them troll just so you can hate on them more.

I dunno how I feel about the comic personally, partly because I never used the "corridors looking the same is realistic" argument seriously in the first place (and wasn't aware it was a common one). Even then, I've always loved the single-player of Halo 1 and 2 for various reasons, but when I see other people trying to defend the game I wonder if we're playing the same title. People loved Halo 1 for the multiplayer, but the multiplayer SUCKED outside of co-op. Halo 2 was improved but still had issues. Halo 3 feels like the work went into nothing BUT the multiplayer with the campaign as an after thought.

What Halo needs right now isn't someone trying to get a rise out of trolls, but an intelligent person to explain to the rest of the intelligent people what the game does right.

Unfortunately, such people will always be silenced. It's like being a Christian that isn't an idiot. No matter how intelligently you try to argue your point, people will use the assholes from Fox News and other loud radicals as the icon of what a Christian person acts like. No one wants to listen to the intelligent person.

Also, I used to hate the Library as well. Then I played Cortana in Halo 3.

Now THAT is a shit level.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
ccesarano said:
What Halo needs right now isn't someone trying to get a rise out of trolls, but an intelligent person to explain to the rest of the intelligent people what the game does right.
Well, part of my point was this this same comic, about any other game, WOULDN'T be viewed as a troll at all.

But what the game does right:

* The outdoor areas look great. Even years later.

* Fun, physics-based vehicle sections. This is standard now, but at the time this was really novel.

* "Big idea" sci-fi. Before this we had Quake 2: Bad guy planet, go kill bad guys. Here we have classic sci-fi ideas being brought into a video game. People had been talking about ring worlds for decades, but here you get to run around on one. Even today, we don't get nearly enough "science" in our "science fiction" games.

* Iconic lead character. Master Chief never really resonated with me, but he's reached almost Mario-levels of recognizably. That's a non-trivial accomplishment.

* Solid Multiplayer: Never touched it myself, but it's clear Halo delivered a first: Solid smooth FPS multiplayer on a console.

Those are the things that struck me when I played through.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
hopeneverdies said:
Vrex360 said:
I don't agree with the statement about the corridors though, Halo games have always been known for giving the player a descent level of space.
That is the worst level ever made in gaming history. I said that eight years ago and I still say it now.

OT: That was by far the flamiest comic yet.... I loved it. Good job.
library is terrible, but about 12 of the cut levels from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 are worse (with a few exceptions to those cut levels)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Shamus Young said:
This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo fans spewing clumsy insults my way because I hurt the feelings of your favorite videogame:

I've done over 130 of these comics, and made fun of about fifty videogames during that run. Many of those games I treated way, way worse than Halo, even though I liked them better. And I don't think any of those threads were as childishly angry as the posts we see here.

"I'm not a Halo fan but this comic sucks and you suck and I'll never read you again even though I never read you before!"

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of feral ragebots you can round up just by showing Master Chief in a bad light.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. You delivered it for me when you came in here and acted just like the angry fanboy parody I set up in the comic itself.
Successful Troll is Successful. I laughed when I noticed the flames flying on this thread too.

That said, I love the comic. Even though I love the series, everything you said there was so true.

I especially laughed at the 'Built Like Strongbad' and 'Story is great if you read the books' bits. It reflects every single Halo-related argument I've had on The Escapist since I joined.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
Chances are most of you motherfuckers are just butthurt that halo actual was a success in the game world. Why that offends you I don't know, but then again everyone on this website takes large amount of cock from all the editors who think they're so much better than everyone else because they enjoy what they seem to call a "refined gaming experience." Seems the barbaric masses aren't good enough for them.
As weird as you bursting into the Team America song is, I still partially agree with you. The feeling I've had from day one on this website is constant, insufferable smugness. Yahtzee is the obvious choice, but that's the entire point of him. But look at Shamus Young's avatar. Just look at it. Stare into the face of a man who wouldn't look more self-satisfied if he had just learnt to felate himself.

I still don't see where the joke is. Is it supposed to make us wonder whether fanboys are such a big problem in the face of haters? Perhaps the fanboys wouldn't have to spew sentences like these if it weren't for the fact they're forced to justify their purchase every five minutes they're online. What? Is the joke that fanboys are obnoxious? That they're always trying to force excuses and opinions on other people? That's not a joke. That's reality.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but these forums are the bane of my existence anyway.
I didn't get in trouble for what I did somehow. I doubt you'll be punished.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Hexenwolf said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
Well, that was quite an angry rant. Reported.

I would like to say I think it's hilarious that you yelled at the one guy that didn't like the comic, you might want to check your reading comprehension level.

OT: the comic was kinda funny, but also kinda generic. Shamus, I like your edgy comics way more. (Like the Champions ones xP)
I was agreeing with him actually. My reading comprehension is quite alright. Maybe you should get your reading comprehension checked.

I thoroughly enjoy that you stated that you reported me. Did that make you feel as warm and fuzzy inside? It sure made me feel that way.

Also thank you for cutting my quote down. It's much too large to be posted twice.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Shamus Young said:
This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo fans spewing clumsy insults my way because I hurt the feelings of your favorite videogame:

I've done over 130 of these comics, and made fun of about fifty videogames during that run. Many of those games I treated way, way worse than Halo, even though I liked them better. And I don't think any of those threads were as childishly angry as the posts we see here.

"I'm not a Halo fan but this comic sucks and you suck and I'll never read you again even though I never read you before!"

Okay then?

This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo haters spewing clumsy insults every which way because their butthurt over Halo for some reason:

I've done over 800 angry posts, and made fun of about 500 people who think they're better because they think they're unique. Many of those people I treated really bad, and I never felt guilty. And I don't think any of those butthurt halo haters were as childishly angry as the comics we see from Shamus.

"I Hate halo because I'm too fancy for such barbaric gameplay that doesn't have a story to rival the classics and you suck."

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of butthurt ragebots that cry about the game being bad.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. YOU Shamus. You delivered it for me when you came in here butthurt and started posting hate about halo. I put my troll mask on and pushed your buttons just right so that you had to get involved in the flame war.

edit: TRIPLE POST!!!! Don't I get a badge or something.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
Vrex360 said:
Oh dear! You are not supposed to talk about that! Arg, bad memories.

I mean why? WHY subject the player to that? Also, remember the points all across the game where rooms would be copy pasted three times in a row? That was really lazy and annoying. People can tell me I am wrong for hating halo, but the fact remains that I have played all the way through.
Every . Last . Painful . Second of it.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Grand_Poohbah said:
Shamus Young said:

Okay then?

This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo haters spewing clumsy insults every which way because their butthurt over Halo for some reason:

I've done over 800 angry posts, and made fun of about 500 people who think they're better because they think they're unique. Many of those people I treated really bad, and I never felt guilty. And I don't think any of those butthurt halo haters were as childishly angry as the comics we see from Shamus.

"I Hate halo because I'm too fancy for such barbaric gameplay that doesn't have a story to rival the classics and you suck."

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of butthurt ragebots that cry about the game being bad.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. YOU Shamus. You delivered it for me when you came in here butthurt and started posting hate about halo. I put my troll mask on and pushed your buttons just right so that you had to get involved in the flame war.

edit: TRIPLE POST!!!! Don't I get a badge or something.
And I just watch and laugh at you both with popcorn and snacks. Though mainly at you, Poohbah. ^_^ The flames are pretty damn pretty.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
i find that halo trolling in general never stick on one subject, so yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
awww....I was expecting Master Chief to actually speak except he spewed fanboy remarks and comebacks.

I wish people would start raging about some other game. It somehow becomes a problem when an "average" game is popular. Somehow it becomes the pinnacle of discussion and now we just have people making fun of fans of the game. It has long since not been about the game but the people who defend it.

We like the game and you attack it. We try to defend the game and then you make fun of us.

I like Halo, and that's about it.

oh and I do like the comics and I sometimes read the "Experience Points" thingy too, just a little peeved because I clicked on the comic with excitement when I saw "Master Chief." Now I'm leaving a bit sour, but it was still kinda funny though.

Crystalgate

Feb 7, 2009
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
awww....I was expecting Master Chief to actually speak except he spewed fanboy remarks and comebacks.

I wish people would start raging about some other game. It somehow becomes a problem when an "average" game is popular. Somehow it becomes the pinnacle of discussion and now we just have people making fun of fans of the game. It has long since not been about the game but the people who defend it.

We like the game and you attack it. We try to defend the game and then you make fun of us.

I like Halo, and that's about it.

oh and I do like the comics and I sometimes read the "Experience Points" thingy too, just a little peeved because I clicked on the comic with excitement when I saw "Master Chief." Now I'm leaving a bit sour, but it was still kinda funny though.
Well, try to attack Final Fantasy VII, VIII or XII on GameFAQs if you want some raging. You can also give Star Ocean III's plot a go.

Anyway, if you want to defend your game, moderation is the key. Judging from your post you seem to know that, but some other comments here have been anything but moderate in their defense of Halo. I don't think the comic really applies to you, but I can understand if you feel targeted.