Stolen Pixels #132: Special Guest: Master Chief

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
More to the point, why on earth are we so insecure as to feel we have to go to any lengths to defend them at all?

Name a franchise; go to any forum their fans seem to frequent, make any critisism about any part of thier treasured IP and next thing you know smoke jumpers are coming in and Catalinas are slurping up the contents of the nearest lake. Kind of makes intelligible discussion a tad difficult.

Halo is an easy mark for this, but Square/Enix fanboys are just as bad if not several degrees worse. Metal Gear also comes to mind.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I wasn't interested in Halo: ODST until I heard that instead of Master Chief, the game features the cast of Firefly.
God, I hadn't even read the comic yet and I was laughing. Bravo.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Now you're stuck in a position where you have to insult every game. That was really pathetic Shamus, lrn2troll.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Shamus Young said:
This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo fans spewing clumsy insults my way because I hurt the feelings of your favorite videogame:

I've done over 130 of these comics, and made fun of about fifty videogames during that run. Many of those games I treated way, way worse than Halo, even though I liked them better. And I don't think any of those threads were as childishly angry as the posts we see here.

"I'm not a Halo fan but this comic sucks and you suck and I'll never read you again even though I never read you before!"

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of feral ragebots you can round up just by showing Master Chief in a bad light.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. You delivered it for me when you came in here and acted just like the angry fanboy parody I set up in the comic itself.
Well done, I applaud you sir for standing up for your work and views, well said

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
lwm3398 said:
I hope to god Halo troll doesn't read this.

Hey, uh, how many After Curfews will there be?
he left. he made a topic saying he is sorry and moved on. looks like the escapist took legal action and twisted his arm into leaving.
Huh?

You're fucking me! I just got into this thing! Spent, like, 8 days reading comics to get to this one! Bullcrap!

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Shamus Young said:
* Solid Multiplayer: Never touched it myself, but it's clear Halo delivered a first: Solid smooth FPS multiplayer on a console.
Funny thing, I never got into the multiplayer of Halo 1. At some point I finally realized that the multiplayer was actually pretty trash, especially since none of the maps were all that good. However, what we had was another Goldeneye effect. The game's multiplayer may be complete crap, but because it's the first time people get to play that way on console a big deal is made out of it.

I'm not a PC gamer by any means, but I preferred UT2K4 over the likes of Halo. Halo 2 had some good maps, but there were a few issues with the mechanics that caused it to fail (an attempt to get people respawned near the action more or less meant dying within two seconds of getting back into the game). Now Halo 3 got multiplayer working really well, but the single player experience falls flat compared to the previous two iterations.

Well, part of my point was this this same comic, about any other game, WOULDN'T be viewed as a troll at all.
No, you wouldn't get as much a rise out of people. For some reason it resonates with people, and for some reason it doesn't resonate with others. I'd love to explain why Halo 1 and 2 resonate with me, but I could write a whole term paper explaining what essential topics every alleged "Halo Killer" completely missed.

However, the topic is no different than some guy shouting "Nintendo has abandoned hardcore gamers!", a statement that makes me want to flail limbs and strike anyone in the vicinity. It's one of the nerd equivalents of yelling "FIRE!" in a movie theater. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, it'll end in a disorderly disaster just the same.

Don't get me wrong, I find just about each of the fanboy arguments weak as well. But at least there is some merit to Halo's success as even you outlined. I mean, it's not like everyone's crying and making a huge deal out of Red Steel or Perfect Dark: Zero.

Constructive criticism is the ideal, not criticism for the sake of having criticism.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I love how Breen asks all the important questions, and gets all the typical answers.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Grand_Poohbah said:
Weren't you leaving..?

OP:
I laughed, because I've seen all those arguments before. Still enjoy the game though, just won't defend it to the death.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Of course, it's being released in the stupid year-end gaming deluge publishers always give us, and so any game I choose will come at the expense of five others.
Although it seems like half of the games that would normally have been released in the December gaming deluge are instead going to be released in a Jan/Feb deluge instead. So it might be better this year...

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
Weren't you leaving..?

OP:
I laughed, because I've seen all those arguments before. Still enjoy the game though, just won't defend it to the death.
Guess not. Might stay awhile. Look for a bridge to live under.

Badger01

May 20, 2009
humm, arbiter was the only character with any actual depth
nice comic this week
btw in america, what's the name of that talk show hoast, it's something dean
or dean something
large guy, gray hair???? any one pm me who it is, it's been bugging me
thanks

Badger01

May 20, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
i am talking about the halo troll. he left. guess the escapist found where he lived and took legal action.
what the hell did he do to make them take 'legal action' !??

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
Well, that was quite an angry rant. Reported.

I would like to say I think it's hilarious that you yelled at the one guy that didn't like the comic, you might want to check your reading comprehension level.

OT: the comic was kinda funny, but also kinda generic. Shamus, I like your edgy comics way more. (Like the Champions ones xP)
He was reiterating his point.

I believe you somehow misconstrued his intent when everything he said was pretty much in line with the comment he was replying to.

And that "smugness" he was railing against pops up oh-so-fittingly in your morally self-righteous reporting.

Likewise disappointed by the comic
I don't know if this is "just satire" or that's just going to be the excuse you'll use, but this strip didn't show any of the wit or comedy usually prevalent in your works.
Just deadpan slander on the stereotypes associated with Halo by the ignorant.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Grand_Poohbah said:
Shamus Young said:
This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo fans spewing clumsy insults my way because I hurt the feelings of your favorite videogame:

I've done over 130 of these comics, and made fun of about fifty videogames during that run. Many of those games I treated way, way worse than Halo, even though I liked them better. And I don't think any of those threads were as childishly angry as the posts we see here.

"I'm not a Halo fan but this comic sucks and you suck and I'll never read you again even though I never read you before!"

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of feral ragebots you can round up just by showing Master Chief in a bad light.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. You delivered it for me when you came in here and acted just like the angry fanboy parody I set up in the comic itself.
This thread is awesome. For the angry Halo haters spewing clumsy insults every which way because their butthurt over Halo for some reason:

I've done over 800 angry posts, and made fun of about 500 people who think they're better because they think they're unique. Many of those people I treated really bad, and I never felt guilty. And I don't think any of those butthurt halo haters were as childishly angry as the comics we see from Shamus.

"I Hate halo because I'm too fancy for such barbaric gameplay that doesn't have a story to rival the classics and you suck."

Okay then?

The point isn't whether Halo is a good game or not. The point is the number of butthurt ragebots that cry about the game being bad.

Do you guys get it now? The punchline of this joke isn't Master Chief. The punchline is YOU. YOU Shamus. You delivered it for me when you came in here butthurt and started posting hate about halo. I put my troll mask on and pushed your buttons just right so that you had to get involved in the flame war.

edit: TRIPLE POST!!!! Don't I get a badge or something.
For your brilliant and tactful defense against the mindless hate spewed at a franchise that did little more than succeed, I commend you.

Win, sir, win.

I have no office or authority of any kind to bestow upon you a badge fitting of your great deeds, but I do have this:

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
hopeneverdies said:
Vrex360 said:
I don't agree with the statement about the corridors though, Halo games have always been known for giving the player a descent level of space.
The Library, oh God, the Library
That is the worst level ever made in gaming history. I said that eight years ago and I still say it now.

OT: That was by far the flamiest comic yet.... I loved it. Good job.
I have one word for you:

MONSTER CLOSET [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93907-id-Promise-No-Monster-Closets-In-Rage]