Stolen Pixels #149: Approval Ratings

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #149: Approval Ratings

Winning the favor of the party's requisite evil ***** is more trouble than it's worth.

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
What, so in DA: O, can you make party members like you more or less?
This game is sounding more interesting every time I hear more of it...
And that was a good one. I liked the... actually, it's confusing, but I still found it funny.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Too true, Shamus. Too true.

Dialogue with party members is a mini-game unto itself in DA:O, with approval rating sometimes taking a massive hit from seemingly arbitrary responses. I can't count how many times I had to reload after putting my foot in my mouth in party member conversation.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, in regards to Morrigan, there are four things that need to be mentioned:

1. No matter what good deed you commit before Morrigan, you can always shower her with jewelry to make up for it. Seriously, I found 2-3 times as many gifts for her as for any other character, and this is supported by the DA Wiki...

2. The irony is, the more she likes you, the less of a ***** she is to you. Essentially, you need to be a bastard to get her to like you, but then she mellows out instead of you two being a pair of arseholes.

3. Clever use of dialogue and detailed looting for gifts means you can bed Morrigan as soon as you leave the first town. Yep, you can score as soon as you're out of Lothering...

4. She's voiced by Claudia Black. If she tells me to kill orphans, I do it and ask for more! ;)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Oh my god. Poor kittens. Shamus, you're a bastard. And magnificent one, at that.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Indeed.

If its not Morrigan and her hateful banter, its Alister whining about not wanting to be king (the wuzz -Yes you can go kill the dragon and die for all of us you twat) or Leliana and her wierd plot about her talkin to the maker, or was that just a lie to get in on the fun? I'w no idear and still confused about that.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
n00b question, how do you give them gifts?

and she is my only mage at this point! so i need her! not to mention i made her the party heal bot XD

JeppeH said:
Indeed.

If its not Morrigan and her hateful banter, its Alister whining about not wanting to be king (the wuzz -Yes you can go kill the dragon and die for all of us you twat) or Leliana and her wierd plot about her talkin to the maker, or was that just a lie to get in on the fun? I'w no idear and still confused about that.
So i take it you just want a 3 other AI characters standing next to you without personality... half the fun is listening to them bicker. personally love the dialog between the "swamp witch" and Shale XD

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Switch over to their page while viewing the inventory, so they are displayed, and right-click the gift, select the package option.

If you're on pc, on console... yeah, I dunno.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
admiraljustin said:
Switch over to their page while viewing the inventory, so they are displayed, and right-click the gift, select the package option.

If you're on pc, on console... yeah, I dunno.
Ah i c thanks ^-^ didnt know it was that ez lol i kept trying to talk to them so i can hand them gifts damn i sold all me gifts too XD

and yes PC version ftw!

MossStone

Jan 22, 2008
I had her with me for the entire game, and she definatly quietens down later. Also I didn't have her running around with side boob showing, mostly because the thought of her in chantry robes amused me somehow.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i played a rogue and since she is the only caster dps in the game i had to keep her, i went to the tower of magi quite late so Wynne was already a pretty high level healer.

but i always took her out of the party before going in to a town where most of the choices takes place, so i didn't get to much disapproval.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
So i take it you just want a 3 other AI characters standing next to you without personality... half the fun is listening to them bicker. personally love the dialog between the "swamp witch" and Shale XD
that's because shale's part of the conversation :p

Aptus

Nov 16, 2009
Jandau said:
4. She's voiced by Claudia Black. If she tells me to kill orphans, I do it and ask for more! ;)
When Claudia Black tells you to jump, you don't ask how high, you jump. :p

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
MossStone said:
I had her with me for the entire game, and she definatly quietens down later. Also I didn't have her running around with side boob showing, mostly because the thought of her in chantry robes amused me somehow.
Putting Morrigan in Chantry robes!

Truly devious. I salute you.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Morrigan and Alistair's dialogs are awesome, and I try to get them in parties together just to hear her snipe at someone other than me.

Apr 28, 2008
DTWolfwood said:

and she is my only mage at this point! so i need her! not to mention i made her the party heal bot XD

JeppeH said:
Indeed.

I love hearing my party argue.
Sometimes I would just stand in one place and wait for them to talk.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Playing a good female character made me less than fond of Morrigan, basically she's a hateful ***** for most of the game and then, in the penultimate moment, she wants me to trick my boyfriend into sleeping with her for very dubious reasons... lovely.

I did do her one favor however...
I killed the crap out of Flemmeth, she's really evil.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, she's just a *****.
But I did kill his mom, cuz she was even worse. Plus I hoped to get some loot.
The best party member is obviously Sten, he's just hilariously blunt.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
JeppeH said:
Indeed.

I think I'd be pissed at that spoiler if I hadn't almost finished the game. Seriously, you only find out that *SPOILER* Alistair is the bastard son of King Maric */Spoiler* more than halfway into the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I loved how picky she was...made me laugh so much and I still managed to get off with her through the careful manipulation of conversation and gifts!

But seriously, She was funny at times with her arguments, especilly if Alistair was there