Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

It's been a good four decades of games. Here's to a good four more.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Taking me back in my years, lol. Still hard to imagine some games been so old, but, a great timeline!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still tat good at it... or could even find it...
Makes you realise how much has happened when you see that timeline...

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Yay! One more year of Stolen Pixels!
OT: Wow....I knew Half-life would be mentioned at least once.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
Wow. I can only imagine how much work it must have been to put that comic together! Great work, Shamus!

I remember playing Pong at a friend's house in 1978(ish). I would have been 11 years old. I wasn't very good at it.

Leslee

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still tat good at it... or could even find it...
As in the old arcade game?

You do realise that you can't "Beat it"?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Zenode said:
Greyfox105 said:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...

No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Zenode said:
Greyfox105 said:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...

No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.
lol ok then, because i had a massive facepalm moment when i thought you were referring to the one on the old Arcade machines haha.

I remember Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, that shit was challenging...come to think of it, most Donkey Kong games have been pretty hard

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
We have come a long way...

Also, holy shit. Morrowind. It's 7 fucking years old. And 7 + 1330 = 1337.

See the conspiracy?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, Modern Warfare 2 huh?

It's a wonder how much money Kotick can spread around, isn't it?

fer1wi

Jun 4, 2009
Very nice list. I completely forgot about Dig Dug. That was fun...

1997 - What happened to GoldenEye? Aww, well. Not that important, I guess.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
37 years? An interesting anniversy to pick ;) But indeed, it has been an overall good 37 years of gaming; and may many more follow!

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
There were a few years which were incredibly dense with titles and it was impossible to do them justice. 1998, 1999, and 2004 were all huge years with multiple earth-shaking titles all showing up together.

Awww... you're not going to just say that and not give us a quick list for those years, are you? I mean, I could go do the research myself, but you've already done it, and if you posted it here then we wouldn't ALL have to go do it, and anyways I want effortless gratification and I want it now!

(Please?)

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Dev Null said:
There were a few years which were incredibly dense with titles and it was impossible to do them justice. 1998, 1999, and 2004 were all huge years with multiple earth-shaking titles all showing up together.

Awww... you're not going to just say that and not give us a quick list for those years, are you? I mean, I could go do the research myself, but you've already done it, and if you posted it here then we wouldn't ALL have to go do it, and anyways I want effortless gratification and I want it now!

(Please?)
1998:

StarCraft, Unreal, Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Thief: The Dark Project, Baldur's Gate

Look at that. FIVE huge franchises launched that year.

1999:

System Shock 2, Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, Planescape: Torment, Age of Empires II, Sid Meier?s Alpha Centauri, Homeworld, Outcast, Rollercoaster Tycoon

Three franchises launched. (Unreal Tournament, Homeworld, and RCT)

2004:

FarCry, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Doom 3, Fable, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, EverQuest II, Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft, The Sims 2.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jandau said:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...
mlkjhgfds said:
What do you mean where's the punchline ? "2009 - Modern Warfare 2"
Mantonio said:
Wow, Modern Warfare 2 huh?

It's a wonder how much money Kotick can spread around, isn't it?
-"My goal wasn't to pick out the "best" game of each year, but to pick out a historically significant title"

-MW2 is biggest game launch of all time, and still ridiculously popular online.