Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
You know, as soon as I saw this list, I knew there were going to be people on here going "MEWTWO!? OH NOES!!!". It's getting pathetic.

Here's to (almost) four decades of gaming, and here's to another four to come, I hope it's only going to get better!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Chipperz said:
You know, as soon as I saw this list, I knew there were going to be people on here going "MEWTWO!? OH NOES!!!". It's getting pathetic.

Here's to (almost) four decades of gaming, and here's to another four to come, I hope it's only going to get better!
Ill Drink [small]soda[/small] to that!

I like the list, my only problem was that Ocarina of Time wasn't on it.
But thats just my LoZ fanboy talking.
Here is to another year!
Thank you Escapist Staff and my fellow escapist for making this the great site it is!

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
Pugiron said:
Waste of toilet paper list for one reason: You missed EverQuest. There is no WoW without EverCrack, and WoW is as much derived from EQ as that game was derived from Dungeons and Dragons. Love your work, this list is a steaming pile of shit.
While I certainly disagree with the "steaming pile of shit" crack, I agree that if you were going to historical significance, the game that pretty much gave birth to MMOs has to make the list.

Dr Dick

Jan 2, 2010
Covarr said:
Every game on the list from 1991 on is a PC game, and quite a few of them are RTS. Huh.

Do you honestly believe that Duke Nukem 3D is more historically significant than Super Mario 64? What about Final Fantasy VII, which basically popularized JRPGs in the west like no game before it?

P.S. Thanks
Basically when people make a list like this, they will never ever win. As we will never all agree!

Shimeru

Nov 2, 2007
EverQuest? The game that gave birth to MMOs? Hardly. It just popularized them.

The game that gave birth to them would be Essex MUD, aka MUD1. 1978. The first online multiplayer game.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Jandau said:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...
Yea I was playing it yesterday and I noticed something, the sounds are the same since CoD 2!!! It's the same recycled game over and over, it just looks prettier now, and not by much.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Bitter PC gamers, of course.
I am a PC gamer, but I am not bitter. Nor will I be held responsible for the forthcoming arson of your shed in your backyard. I was in Cleveland at the time. Honest! o.o
Vault boy Eddie said:
Jandau said:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...
Yea I was playing it yesterday and I noticed something, the sounds are the same since CoD 2!!! It's the same recycled game over and over, it just looks prettier now, and not by much.
Which makes me giggle, with all the crying about Left 4 Dead 2, I haven't heard one person complain that MW2 is really nothing more than an expansion. WHICH IT IS!
I for one find your list relevant, Shamus.(Except Goldeneye should have been there for 97, but that's just a small itty bitty point) And I would like to challenge the detractors to share their own lists of a game from each year for the last 40. It is easy to tear down something, why not show some stuff and build something instead?

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
We have come a long way...

Also, holy shit. Morrowind. It's 7 fucking years old. And 7 + 1330 = 1337.

See the conspiracy?
You know it feels like only yesterday that I was reading an article in Dragon magazine about Bethesda's upcoming fantasy game with an innovative new construction set. Has it really been seven years since then? I feel old now.

Taneer

Sep 1, 2008
Zenode said:
Greyfox105 said:
Zenode said:
Greyfox105 said:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...
Makes you realise how much has happened when you see that timeline...
As in the old arcade game?

You do realise that you can't "Beat it"?
No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.
lol ok then, because i had a massive facepalm moment when i thought you were referring to the one on the old Arcade machines haha.

I remember Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, that shit was challenging...come to think of it, most Donkey Kong games have been pretty hard
I remember the SNES one being challenging, but not that challenging.

Really wish Nintendo could stop releasing Mario games long enough to release a new old DK game.

Feb 13, 2008
Shimeru said:
EverQuest? The game that gave birth to MMOs? Hardly. It just popularized them.

The game that gave birth to them would be Essex MUD, aka MUD1. 1978. The first online multiplayer game.
EQ is still going though. And still getting expansions. Or are we going to say that MewTwo invented FPS's now? I thought we'd got over that with HALO.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
2010 is gonna be apocalypse, you could easily pick 20 groudquaking games(and that is only for PC), but nobody has time to play that much stuff!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I'm going to be that guy and say that Mass Effect came out in 2008, not 2007. Personally I would have put TF2 in 2007 and Gears of War 2 in 2008 purely because of how it popularized additional content like Horde, Nazi Zombie, Spec Ops etc. Either that or Braid for bringing Arty/Indie games to a greater audience, myself included.

Good list.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Shamus Young said:
Jandau said:
The game cashed in. While that's nice, I still don't consider it a significant game, or at least not as significant as some other titles this year...
And I think treating it as an invalid choice is completely unreasonable. You didn't just imply that there were better choices, you acted like it was completely unreasonable to include a game which...

Brace for all caps mode:

OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

End all caps mode.

Second-guessing the list is part of the conversation here, and by all means offer your own suggestions. There were lots of great titles this year and it will be interesting to see which ones are still being played five years from now. But the position that MW2 shouldn't be considered is simply untenable.
Bitter PC gamers, of course.
Many a true word is spoken in jest.

If you don't think being one of the most successful game of all time is significant then you can also look at the controversey it caused, It was mentioned in the houses of parliament, while we have troops in Iraq, are in a recession, are losing troops daily in Afghanistan, are angry as hell with MPs fiddling their expenses... It's not like it's been a quiet year so someone dropped it in conversation.

How about one of the first mainstream FPS titles to ditch dedicated servers? I think it deserved the mention.

My addition to the conversation comes during 1992. Was Alone in the Dark really more influential than Dune II: Battle for Arrakis? That was the birth of RTS. No one had micro before that point.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
MW2? Oh, no no! It's the same thing as MW1. And there's no BIG difference between other shooters.
You can't say that something is ''historically significant'' only because it's popular. It's like saying that Jonas Brothers and Twilight it historically significant and should be remembered as much as ..eh.. Beatles and Citizen Kane.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's not just about selling a lot, folks. It's about selling more than any other form of entertainment media. We've been heading in that direction for a while now, but this is the first time it's actually happened. Sure, other games, movies, and books will likely supplant the accomplishment, but nevertheless, it's a watershed moment for gaming, whether you like the title in question or not.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Choosing Prince of Persia over Tetris personally miffs me quite a bit and I also have my fair share of doubts for 2005-2009 games. But other than that, it's a good list.

The most important question to ask is: Will they remain great games in, say, 10-20 years or utterly forgotten? Only time and the benefit of hindsight will really tell whether these games were really all that great or just competent.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Now, was 2006 just completely devoid of other good games, or do I just completely not grasp the significance of Half-Life 2: Episode 1?

It was a decent game, not as geat as HL2 but not bad in any reguards... but I have a hard time believing nothing better/more significant came out then...

Verbal Samurai

Dec 2, 2009
LOL it seems to be that things have come full circle today with only a small number of meaningful titles released at the same time (holiday season) and surrounded by hundreds of pieces of shovelware.