Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
awesome, now you'll make us feel old. but no, this is really cool and glad you made it. imagine how big it will be in the year 2020. that would be fun.

Shimeru

Nov 2, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shimeru said:
EverQuest? The game that gave birth to MMOs? Hardly. It just popularized them.

The game that gave birth to them would be Essex MUD, aka MUD1. 1978. The first online multiplayer game.
EQ is still going though. And still getting expansions. Or are we going to say that MewTwo invented FPS's now? I thought we'd got over that with HALO.
Sure. And it wouldn't have been a bad choice, but if you're sticking to one MMO, either the first (MUD1) or the most popular (WoW) would be the more obvious option.

Although Everquest was the first widespread 3D one, which'd be another point in its favor.

Tetris is probably the biggest missing game from the list. I suppose King's Quest was there to represent the adventure genre, which was big for a while.

The Last Express is another big one as far as innovation goes, but it'd be up against Fallout, which is a far less obscure choice.

And another personal favorite, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Really Long Subtitle, was a pretty broad sandbox-style RPG with multiple paths and a good deal of customization, a year before Morrowind. But the same year as GTA3, which is again less obscure.

Lots of FPSes in the more recent years, come to think of it.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Every game on the list is historically significant. Sure he could have added more, but then it wouldn't be a comic strip... it would be closer to a novel.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Shamus Young said:
OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.
The Bible would like to have a word with you about the bolded section.

If I may offer up my personal alternative, though, Halo Wars. I know I will likely get flamed for this, but at least hear me out and read what I'm about to say.

Halo Wars was the last game of Ensemble Studios, developer of the massively acclaimed Age of Empires series. Losing a name like that is surely a significant occurrence, and is something many gamers lament from this year.

Secondly, Halo Wars was also a return of the series to its RTS roots. Again, the return of a series as well known as Halo to the roots it started off at is, to me at least, another significant accomplishment.

Thirdly, Halo Wars is among, if not still the best selling RTS on the consoles. Surely this is in itself another significant event.

That's my take on it anyways. I know I'm not liable to change your mind, but hey, take this for what it's worth.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I was so sure that on 2009, you would show Wii Sport Resort and write WTF with big letters.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
So, not that i want to hoot and holler or anything

But you didnt even mention Metal Gear Solid in your list of 1998 games.

That makes me sad that you overlooked that one.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I was half expecting it to end on an image of the New Super Mario brothers game... would of been funnier... we came all this way only to turn around.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Dude, *sob* you're making me all nostalgic *snivel*. Stop it man *blub*.

At 32 and gaming since I was about 4 I remember most of that list. Damn I'm a sentimental old fool.

Shimeru

Nov 2, 2007
theSovietConnection said:
Shamus Young said:
OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.
The Bible would like to have a word with you about the bolded section.
No, it's true... as long as you go by the criteria Activision used to make their claim. Namely, first-24-hour sales only, and in North America and the UK only, and based on total revenue gained (that is, not adjusted for inflation, and not unit sales).

Seems a bit less impressive when you take all of that into account, doesn't it?

Edit: To put this in perspective, MW2 sold around 4.7 million units in those areas in the first 24 hours. The last Harry Potter book sold almost 11 million units in the same areas in the same time period.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Shimeru said:
No, it's true... as long as you go by the criteria Activision used to make their claim. Namely, first-24-hour sales only, and in North America and the UK only, and based on total revenue gained (that is, not adjusted for inflation, and not unit sales).

Edit: To put this in perspective, MW2 sold around 4.7 million units in those areas in the first 24 hours. The last Harry Potter book sold almost 11 million units in the same areas in the same time period.
That does seem like something Activision would do. Thanks for bringing that up, good to know.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
OMG...I feel sad looking at this list and realizing the literally THOUSANDS of hous of my life that I have spent in front of a computer.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i actually think that duke nukem looks better than god of war, might be the uncanny valley i have heard so much about :)

and it may be because it was the only bioware title i didn't like, but i dont get why mass effect was on there, much like how i don't get how my sister can be related to me.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
It is definitely odd that Tetris doesn't appear, and why Episode 1 made the grade instead of just HL2.

Still a decent list though, it's nice to look at.

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
O man, Ultima 3!! I still remember when I got that for my Nintendo but was too young and foolish to understand what I held in my hands. Now the Nintendo and cartridge are both gone and I am left with nothing but dreams of what could have been.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
theSovietConnection said:
Shimeru said:

That does seem like something Activision would do. Thanks for bringing that up, good to know.
Well that is because it is what they did. They had the best entertainment launch in history, not the best selling product in history.