Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
I'm feeling slightly disappointed that The Witcher doesn't make the appearance on this list, at least as a honorary runner-up. Still, thanks for compiling it, at least to let us youngins know what significant games there have been in the past years..

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Really liked the list. It would make a nice poster in my wall, BTW.
And, certainly, MW2 is relevant. Historically relevant doesn't mean "good", nor "revolutionary". But I sure hope upcoming titles get to be relevant for content and gameplay, and not for hype.

Shimeru

Nov 2, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
theSovietConnection said:
Shimeru said:
No, it's true... as long as you go by the criteria Activision used to make their claim. Namely, first-24-hour sales only, and in North America and the UK only, and based on total revenue gained (that is, not adjusted for inflation, and not unit sales).

Seems a bit less impressive when you take all of that into account, doesn't it?

Edit: To put this in perspective, MW2 sold around 4.7 million units in those areas in the first 24 hours. The last Harry Potter book sold almost 11 million units in the same areas in the same time period.
That does seem like something Activision would do. Thanks for bringing that up, good to know.
Well that is because it is what they did. They had the best entertainment launch in history, not the best selling product in history.
They had the best first-day video game sales in history. Not the best entertainment launch unless you go by the gross (and neglect to adjust for inflation). It sold fewer units than many books or movies do, but the revenue was greater because it has a higher price point.

It's still an achievement, but it's not as huge as they're hyping it up to be.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Really good list. Though I can't understand why Duke Nukem 3D outsmarts Quake or why HL2; EP1 made a bigger smash then Gears of War or Company of Heroes.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
MW2 was very significant. It showed us that whilst games are now popular, the masses still don't really get it.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_conquer_red_alert

No C&C? I'm stunned to say the least.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Just want to note that the screenshot for Ultima III is actually Ultima: Exodus, the NES port of Ultima III.