Stolen Pixels #160: Rorschach Interview, Part 2

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #160: Rorschach Interview, Part 2

The most reprehensible of the Watchmen is also the most popular. Why?

Read Full Article

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I really dislike Rorschach.

That said, he's also the most badass.

Watchmen, you crazy Graphic Novel you.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
I've only played the watchmen game for a few hours, still, I know what you're talking about.

Mad props for this batch of stolen pixels! :D

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Hm, now that you mention it... Rorschach is my favorite in Watchmen, and a complete nutcase. But he has a trenchcoat, so it all works out in the end... right? Right?... Helloooo... anyone?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Heh, that was a good one.
I do quite like some of your comics, especially the L4D ones, but I do also like the Breen ones.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
For the last time Rorschach isn't BATMAN, he's nothing like Batman, he's THE QUESTION taken to the ultimate extreme, not Batman. Granted to two characters have a lot in common, but the Question has always been more Hard Boiled Private Eye less Sherlock Holmes + Cape. He's also a crazy conspiracy theorist nutter, you know, like Rorschach!

Quintin Stone

Aug 11, 2006
A friend of mine says Rorschach is the only hero of the comic because he never compromises his principles.

I think there's a bit more to being a hero than that. My friend says a lot of weird things. Even so, while only the Comedian was more fascist, I do love me some Rorschach.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
I just love that guy!
edit: in no sexual way! I'm not gay.(don't kill me Rorschach!)

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Heh, Rorschach was basically the whole point of the Watchmen movie.
Nice comic anyway, but I'm still waiting for Asshole Mercer to have an appearance.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
EnigmaticSevens said:
Ha, lovely comic. That said, I despised Rorshach from cover to cover, Ozymandias FTW.
Hehe! Same here!

Great comic though!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The Great JT said:
Monologue on your own time, Kovaks. Breen's got a show to do.
NEVER INTERUPT THE INTERNAL MONOLOGE!

Quintin Stone said:
A friend of mine says Rorschach is the only hero of the comic because he never compromises his principles.

I think there's a bit more to being a hero than that. My friend says a lot of weird things. Even so, while only the Comedian was more fascist, I do love me some Rorschach.
Well, one of the points of the comic (at least in my interpretation) was that those heroes were people, complete with all the disfunctions that tend to accompany them. Rorschach was a psychopath; Nite Owl was going through a mid-life crisis; the Comedian was an alcoholic with the dangerously Neiztchean outlook on humanity; even John (Dr. Manhattan) had severe relational problems.

One could argue that Ozymandias is the true hero of the story, seeing as he brought about the world peace that no one else could using the Freudian theory of human development to create a common enemy. At the same time, he could also be viewed, of course, as the overarching villian. This was a point of the story, that "Good" and "Evil" are poorly concieved notions that one assigns without thinking that maybe neither can be justified.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Shamus Young said:
He's easily the most popular of the Watchmen, but at the same time he's the most reprehensible.
Surely "The Comedian" is more reprehensible? After all, he is attempted rapist, women and children killing, surrendering soldier killing, pregnant woman killing bastard...

Rorschach, on the other hand, just seems to be extremely violent with the criminals, and has a low tolerance for 'intellectuals'.

Akaros

Feb 8, 2008
Personally, I ended up liking Rorschach because of
how he dies. He's pretty much the ultimate tragic hero, with every move he makes leading up to him dying for refusing to back down about Ozymandias' plan.

It kind of made up for how he was a complete dick to everyone.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I liked all the characters in Watchmen, but since Rorschach is the "protagonist" and since much of the story revolves around the Comedian, those are my favorite charachters. off-topic: Alan Moore... one of the best authors in the world. (atleast I think so)

EDIT: though I think it's interesting, Moore tries very hard to make the characters relatable, giving them very human issues. But the one character that actually is a hero all the time (almost) and doesn't seem to have a social life, is being criticized for not having a solcial life, IE being too much of a hero. If Superman didn't have a life as Clark Kent he could probably save a lot more people... (If you disagree, please don't get caught up on my comparing Rorschach to Superman... please.)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Damn, part 2? How did a new Stolen Pixels sneak under the radar like that? Anywho, great couple of comics. I didn't know they did a video game on Watchmen though (note that I'm not surprised, just uninformed).