Stolen Pixels #163: The Luminous Master

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #163: The Luminous Master

Must... write... comic. Stop... playing Lumines. Inner monologue... fading.

Read Full Article

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I shall not help you stop playing Lumines.

You will die the best death there is. Be glad that the god of Lumines has chosen you as his sacrifice!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Lumines?
I've heard the name before, but never actually played it.
I assume it is a very addictive game then? :p
Heh.

Apr 28, 2008
Shamus? SHAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!

I'd send supplies, but I need them to help me get through Mass Effect 2.

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Tried that game. It completely failed to capture my interest. So, when it destroys mankind, it'll be up to me to repopulate...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This is y its always nice to have crack on the side. In case one addiction catches you, the crack addiction will always bring you out of it for a bit.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I have no sympathy for you.

*click*

I hate casual games.

*click* *click*

And people who play those silly puzzle games

*click*

are retarded.

*click* *click*

Complete waste of time.

*click*

AAAAAAAAAAARGH, GOD DAMN I KNEW THERE WOULD BE A MINE THERE

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
A friend of mine loaned me his copy of Lumines on the PSP with the words: "This game is addicting!".

They found me three weeks later huddled in the corner of my room, lighted only by the PSP's tiny streen. Apparently, I was completely naked except for a loincloth and my skin was covered in mysterious block-shaped lacerations. It took me several weeks of electro-shock therapy to get me stop rocking back and forth while chanting "Move your body! Move your body! Move your body!" and humming the music from the game.

To this day, I still go into convulsions upon hearing about it, and then I start foaming at the mouth.

Now if you'll excuse me...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've had that happen. Casual games can be very addictive for some reason.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go kill some robots on Genre Wars...

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Some levels are just awful. As in, the 'shake/move your body right to the ground'-tripe. I usually play Lumines when in class (yay for uni), but I try to hide the damn thing when it's on one of those awful, AWFUL songs.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Wait, there's an actual level with looped hoe-down music and blocks that look like clumps of dirt? That sounds hilarious!

Can't say that I've ever had the Lumines fever hit me, but man oh man do I have it bad with Audiosurf - of course part of the problem is my ever expanding music collection, which makes it only natural to play the game while I'm listening to it, but it's really rather worrying that I've only had the game for just under a month but I've set 585 global high scores.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Wait, there's an actual level with looped hoe-down music and blocks that look like clumps of dirt? That sounds hilarious!

Can't say that I've ever had the Lumines fever hit me, but man oh man do I have it bad with Audiosurf - of course part of the problem is my ever expanding music collection, which makes it only natural to play the game while I'm listening to it, but it's really rather worrying that I've only had the game for just under a month but I've set 585 global high scores.
Assuming just 3 minutes a song, your record-breaking runs come to just about 27 total hours. And that's just the record-smashers. It doesn't include all the runs where you didn't set a record. Which, assuming you're not a robot, should be most of them.

EDIT: I forgot to say: Wow. That's a lot of audio surfing.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

Assuming just 3 minutes a song, your record-breaking runs come to just about 27 total hours. And that's just the record-smashers. It doesn't include all the runs where you didn't set a record. Which, assuming you're not a robot, should be most of them.

EDIT: I forgot to say: Wow. That's a lot of audio surfing.
Well the 585 figure is just the songs I currently hold the high score on, as I've been dethroned on on a semi-regular basis since I started setting high scores, prompting me to go back and try to set an even higher score than before to regain my title [small](which I've been able to do in most cases, there's only about 5 or so where I couldn't match the new record without more effort than I really want to invest)[/small], and quite a few of those weren't set my first time through a particular song - I will attempt things over and over again if I think I can beat the current high score, or if I made a mistake and got a result on the leaderboard I can't bear to let anyone see, ha ha.

Even if the song in question is extremely fast and a grueling 8 minutes in length. Especially if it's really long and really hard, since those are the records I'm proudest of, heh. I do tend to set a record about 60% of the time on my first play though.

As for your estimations of the average track length, most of the music I've played in Audiosurf [small](and most of the music in my collection for that matter)[/small] is somewhere between 4-6 minutes long, and I've played quite a few songs that are well over 9 minutes in length (the longest one was 20 minutes) - I have a lot of semi-obscure European metal you see, so not many songs conform to the 3 minute "designed for the radio" average.

But we don't need to guesstimate how long I've been audiosurfing, the Steam app tracker thingie here on the Escapist that I tied into my forum account will tell us! Let's see... it claims my recent playtime in Audiosurf was... 87.7 hours?!! Egad!

Wait, I'm remembering seeing that tracker with a time figure in the neighborhood of 130 hours not so long ago [small](I can tell it's changed since a couple other titles that were showing up have been bumped off the list of recent things)[/small], so I have to wonder just how many actual days that 87 hour figure is coming from, and whether it overlaps with the earlier 130 figure at all... because if it doesn't, that would mean that over the course of the 27 days I've owned Audiosurf, I've spent literally 1/3rd of that time (9 whole days!) playing Audiosuf.

Yeah, I need help.

bstrothe

Mar 20, 2009
Back in 2005 Mike and Jerry had a similar report on Lumines:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/3/25/

There is the usual dose of swear-words if that sort of thing offends you.