Stolen Pixels #171: Probe Away

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
i laughed at the end so hard milk came out of my nose. note to self don't eat cinnamon toast crunch while visiting the escapist.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Simply having all resource locations marked on the map from the beginning, having less rough mountain peaks and a few more baddies to waste along the way, would have been a huge improvement.
True. After a while I got bored with the whole combing-the-planet thing and just looked up the planet map in the wiki whenever I landed somewhere. That instantly changed the Mako jaunts from being a chore into massive fun. (Especially on planets with Thresher Maws or other baddies.)

Anaphyis said:
1. Get the scanner upgrade ASAP
2. Only probe the hot spots, everything else is a waste of time any money
3. Ditch a planet after it has degraded to poor. Or even moderate. There are enough rich planets in the galaxy and while trying to find the side missions you'll stumble over all of them.
This is also true.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
dogstile said:
Why do people still say it was "better than the mako"?

I mean, the mining sucks so bad.
Mako sucks even more. Trust me.

I played ME2, then played ME1 to get my saved file to the end of game, then played ME2 using that save. So, yeah, I think Mako sucks.

And I use saved game editor for resources. Really.
Trust you? Why would I trust you? What I said was my opinion, the mako was better then the minig, the fact people hated it was silly because it was so much fun to jump around in.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Irridium said:
I have always thought about that myself, especially when I probe inhabited planets I can't land on. There's a good chance I hit a few settlements as well.

"I found a buttload of Irridium there."
I was mentioned in a Stolen Pixel comic! I'm so happy :D
Yep, and BOTH of you spelt Iridium wrong.

Apr 28, 2008
Aurora219 said:
Irridium said:
I have always thought about that myself, especially when I probe inhabited planets I can't land on. There's a good chance I hit a few settlements as well.

"I found a buttload of Irridium there."
I was mentioned in a Stolen Pixel comic! I'm so happy :D
Yep, and BOTH of you spelt Iridium wrong.
Well the correct spelling was already taken and I didn't want to put numbers on the end of my name, so thats my reason.

Project .hack

Feb 11, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
But you have to admit it's more engaging than wrestling with the Mako. Maybe in ME3 they'll figure out how to make resource gathering fun.

Although, probing Uranus never, ever gets old. The Dev Team Thinks of Everything, indeed.
Maybe it's just me, but I enjoyed riding around planets on the mako looking for resources when I got bored...I liked the scenery and after you got used to the mako, it's clumsiness and overall lack of real maneuverability became fun when there were hills and stuff.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
FBPH said:
DTWolfwood said:
as a vanguard i can attest that the SMG is ass XD

im always low on platinum :(
As an Inflitrator I must say the SMG mows down everyone that gets through my sniping. Although platinum is always low and iridium is too damn plentiful.
if it wasnt for my uber pistol running low on ammo all the time (still not happy about having ammo this time around!) i wouldnt even use the smg.

and yes always low on Platinum :mad:

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
dogstile said:
Abedeus said:
dogstile said:

I played ME2, then played ME1 to get my saved file to the end of game, then played ME2 using that save. So, yeah, I think Mako sucks.

Trust you? Why would I trust you? What I said was my opinion, the mako was better then the minig, the fact people hated it was silly because it was so much fun to jump around in.
Okay then.

Trust hundreds of complains that made Bioware change Mako to something less aggravating, but more boring.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
The mining is pretty stupid, you just shoot a probe at a planet and all these rare resources magically appear inside the ship? They really could make that more stategic if you had to actually setup mining bases, develop them etc, or they could have had some kind've logic to it that lets you work out where the best place to search for minerals is. Instead, it seems every planet has a random scattering of minerals you just have to scan the entire planet by trial and error.

Also, if all you have to do is just fly around in a ship shooting probes to get minerals I don't know why there are any valuable minerals left in the galaxy at all. Once you get over the flashy graph on the mineral scanner, it just boils down to something far less engaging than minesweeper.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Kevvers said:
The mining is pretty stupid, you just shoot a probe at a planet and all these rare resources magically appear inside the ship?
Oh god. o_O
Are we now nitpicking the minigames for their faulty logic? Those things where you get a headache whenever you apply logic to it, regardless of whatever game you play?

Seriously, what is the point? They have an entire galaxy they have to do something with. Skip free exploration? Yeah, I can already hear all those "these linear plots are sooooo 20th century, chaaa" 'reviewers' sharpening their knives. Missions everywhere, even on the gas giants because otherwise you realize that you have this wide open galaxy that might as well be empty? Then the game might not come out until the 22nd century. They tried to do something about it in ME1 and everyone hated it. They tried something else and everyone hates that too and has already buried the nightmare that was ME1 under a ton of nostalgia.

The REAL mistake BioWare did was combining that planet scanning mechanic with the upgrade. Because most gamers are magpies when it comes to stat boosts even for weapons they will never use. Seriously, hands up if you've got Krogan Vitality or Geth Shielding even if you never had a Krogan or Geth in your party except for the loyalty mission.

It's funny that only one Internet review I saw mentioned this in conjunction with an idea on how to make something worthwhile out of that huge-sandbox-problem. The rest either looked at metacritic and still believe non-conformism is cool or are for one reason or another overly nitpicky and I still don't get why.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Anaphyis said:
Kevvers said:
The mining is pretty stupid, you just shoot a probe at a planet and all these rare resources magically appear inside the ship?
Oh god. o_O
Are we now nitpicking the minigames for their faulty logic? Those things where you get a headache whenever you apply logic to it, regardless of whatever game you play?
Well, it wouldn't bother me except they've made such a massive effort in the codex to try to get it hard sci-fi.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
dogstile said:
Abedeus said:
dogstile said:

Okay then.

Trust hundreds of complains that made Bioware change Mako to something less aggravating, but more boring.
You still don't get it.

The mako was great to me. I don't care what these hundreds of people think. To me they have no taste and the mining game is twenty times less engaging than what it replaced. You won't change that, neither will anyone else. I just had more fun in the mako.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I've always found that damn scanner probe thingo painful. Everything costs Platinum and I never get any. It's always Iridium everywhere!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Anaphyis said:
They tried something else and everyone hates that too and has already buried the nightmare that was ME1 under a ton of nostalgia.
Have you checked to see if it's the same people? It doesn't take many posts before 5 loudmouth trolls become "The Majority".

I replayed ME1 to get a save for 2, and I have to say I quite enjoyed driving around, blowing shit up, but thinking it felt very, very basic. What I couldn't stand though was when I had to drive up a hill or uneven terrain. Spending a full minute climbing a cliff only to find out that it's just a biiiit too steep at the top to let you get over the ridge was in no way fun. Instead of replacing it with a terrible, grindy minigame they should've just improved the driving bits. Maybe given you a nitro to get up those cliffs with, or a super-jump maybe. It's not like you took falling damage anyway.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Kevvers said:
The mining is pretty stupid, you just shoot a probe at a planet and all these rare resources magically appear inside the ship? They really could make that more stategic...
OMG!!!

You say this after ME1 had you hack computers and disarm nukes by playing "simon says".