Stolen Pixels #186: Well Lookie Who We Have Here

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
A game company leeching off a mildly successful franchise based on name alone eh? Seems that this is common practice now a days.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That Gordon. He's such a persuasive speaker.

...I guess.

Anyway. Wouldn't releasing a top-down, turn-based strategy game actually stand out amongst the crowds these days? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love FPS games (and suck at strategy games) but you can't swing a dead baby cat euphemism around without hitting a newly-released FPS game. And as others have stated, it's not like the X-Com franchise has really kept its legs over the years. Have we really gotten that low in the intellectual-property barrel, that they're dredging this game up? They might as well redesign PO'ed [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PO'ed] as a gritty near-future third-person stealth game.

...though, honestly, THAT I might buy.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I already made a post about why a new version of X-com could work as a tactical FPS (provided you kept the other stuff in).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.188299-New-X-Com-Shooter-Coming-From-BioShock-2-Studio?page=2#5799533

To sum it up FLYING POWER ARMOR !!!!!!!!

I suppose this game could work if they make it like a prequel. In this game you discover the alien threat and it ends with X-Com being formed. Then the next game is a proper X-Com game with base building, research etc.

If this games is going to work as an FPS it really needs some ground breaking new feature like randomly generated destructible environments or something. A next gen version of X-Com could definitely be an amazing game. You would need to merge a lot of different game genres to pull it off, flight sim, tactical shooters, management sims, rpgs etc. I just don't know if any game company has the tech or resources to make something like that.

I will say this though. Alien autopsy and interrogations could make for some pretty fun mini games. You could even add Natal support if it's on the 360.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
X-Com... ooooh glee -_-
seriously...
also, yeah, HL2 stand pretty much on its own :p

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I guess 2K forgot or doesn't even know of Westwood's little thing they did with their RTS into a FPS. I bet everybody here does remember and knows what I am talking about. And how it failed.

A flight simulator for Animal Crossing might actually be cool. Flying over all those cutesy towns and farms...

Toothache of Sauron

Jan 4, 2010
Though even having X-COM Enforcer, I will quote Darth Vader (you know, Annakin Skywalker after he turned to good) with some better acting: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

X-COM Terror from the deep should have been an expansion from Enemy Unknown. That said, X-COM: Enemy Unknown (aka UFO Defense aka Terran something) is the best game there's ever been along the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. Strategy, need to think tactics and strategy to get the missions done.

Also, Real Strategy Is Turn Based.

Also, for some, the mildly successful game called X-COM was voted best videogame at year 2000.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Well blizzard turned the best RTS series in the world into a MMORPG, so why not? Since then anything is possible. I would pay insane amounts of money to see farmville become a survivol horror. Your crops became alien transgenic, your machinery is possessed by evil spirits, your kitties and rabbits got rabids, your cows became carnivorous and your chickens and ducks turned into zombies.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Gordon got to be such a good listener by ignoring whatever people say to him.

Hey, I blundered my way to the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 that way.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
zombie711 said:
it worked for fallout 3
It didn't work for Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was just Oblivion with a post nuke skin and guns instead of spells. Because it was meant for the FPS crowd there were very few situations where you could stealth or talk your way out of fights. In Fallout 1/2 you could play a character without any combat skills and rely on stealth or your companions. Like most games with a morality system the choices were limited to lawful stupid white knight and chaotic retard homicidal maniac.

The VATS system was somewhat innovative but also broken. If you maxed VATS perks/stats you were unstoppable, if you didn't then you could barely make progress, there wasn't really a happy medium.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
d319tm said:
Ooh, a Bioshock MMO, set before the fall of Rapture all intrigue and player "companies" trying to outcompete each other as the world slowly goes more and more insane around them. I'd play that! :)
Man, I've been dreaming about that game since about halfway through Bioshock 1!

And an Sonic rts, man would that rule!?

But only if they based it on the SATam.

MARGARINE!

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
zombie711 said:
it worked for fallout 3
It didn't work for Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was just Oblivion with a post nuke skin and guns instead of spells. Because it was meant for the FPS crowd there were very few situations where you could stealth or talk your way out of fights. In Fallout 1/2 you could play a character without any combat skills and rely on stealth or your companions. Like most games with a morality system the choices were limited to lawful stupid white knight and chaotic retard homicidal maniac.

The VATS system was somewhat innovative but also broken. If you maxed VATS perks/stats you were unstoppable, if you didn't then you could barely make progress, there wasn't really a happy medium.
you seem to forget that bioshock and borderlands were both RPGs that play like an fps. I think these 2 titles show that 2K knows what their doing.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Reminds me of the crap that happened with Shadowrun when they decided to bring that game back. Nothing like the version on the SNES, and I was highly disappointed with them turning it into what it became.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Shamus Young said:
Sonic the Hedgehog! Mass Effect tower defense! A Metal Gear dating sim! Cooking Mama brawler. Animal Crossing: The Flight Simulator. A BioShock MMO.
You actually KNEW about THIS?!

That can't be just a coincidence!
[http://img708.imageshack.us/i/tokimekimetalgear2.jpg/]

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
TheEggplant said:
Doesn't anyone remember Alliance?
I was really up for this game when it was announced and very down when it and everything Microprose was canned. I'm not too happy about 2K being the ones responsible but this has a lot of potential.
Yup, I remember it and I was looking forward to it: Alliance [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Alliance]. I was pretty unhappy to see the project get canned. Anyway, it's nothing new as everyone citing the 3rd person Enforcer has already pointed out. Personally I'll reserve judgement, done right it could be a pretty decent game.

At any rate it'd have to try hard to disappoint me more than the UFO series. I really could not get on with those games, the bugs certainly didn't help, pretty they may have been but somehow the gameplay was no where near as enjoyable. And who knows, if the FPS does well maybe it'll prompt them to make a strategy X-Com... I can dream can't I?

Gift.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
I guess 2K forgot or doesn't even know of Westwood's little thing they did with their RTS into a FPS. I bet everybody here does remember and knows what I am talking about. And how it failed.
Well yes, but I think part of that was just taking too long to get Renegade out of the door. At any rate, when I finally got my hands on the game years later I was fairly pleasantly surprised. It's not the best FPS I've laid hands on, but I don't think it deserved much of the bad press it got either.

Gift.