Stolen Pixels #192: Max Blame, Part 3

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #192: Max Blame, Part 3

Max Payne goes to the guys at the top to see what they think: Are games truly art?

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
More DRM whining, Shamus? You're beating a dead horse at this point.

And EA turned themselves around in my eyes. They manage to run it like a business, and still publish original, if imperfect, titles like Brutal Legend and Mirror's Edge.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'll stop bitching about DRM as soon as publishers stop using it, or it stops being a stupid and terrible idea.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'll stop bitching about DRM as soon as publishers stop using it, or it stops being a stupid and terrible idea.
So you'll never stop bitching about it then?

Oh well, as long as the jokes are original and fun.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I think John Riccitiello is trying really hard not to fire anyone. I'm pretty sure that's something no one has to go through... least of all John Riccitiello. He seems to know what it means to make games and keep them games. Besides, firing that many people just makes him look even worse to The Board.

Bobby Kotick though... I don't know if he's picking his nose while everything is going on or not. I wouldn't be surprised if he was... I would be surprised if he was picking his nose and was taking part in all of these shenanigans. Which is a little creepy when you think about it.

As for the Ubisoft thing... That'll do pig, that'll do.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Ubi.com as a virus was pretty appropriate.

Publishers will keep using drm because the major shareholders will insist on some kind of "protection". The solution is to never purchase any kind of product that has DRM. The music industry learned this relatively recently and while they aren't making as much money as they did when they sold a CD with one good song for $18, they are still making money.

Then again I'm not a kid anymore so I'm just fine with playing games 2-3 years after release, after the DRM free version is available.

Overlold

Apr 30, 2010
Yeah, starting to think Ubisoft personally violated the good Mr. Young.
Or maybe he just doesn't have a very good internet connection.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Shit. You'd have to use a time machine...

MichaelAB

Nov 21, 2007
Kudos for the line "what do you do with the devil's phone number?" That is an awesome, extremely noir line.

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
Enjoyable as always. Put dibs on it being Gabe Newell as the last name. And I will refrain from making Twinkie jokes because that man is responsible for games that can only be described as art.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Awesome as always. One question though, how did you get the Max Payne effect on your two pictures?

Arjen Swellengrebel

Feb 15, 2010
I liked the ubi.com virus joke. Also very good point about how the developers don't seem to think so... If something isn't considered art by the maker, how can it be art? I think most developers see their games as products rather than art.

This coming from a guy who considers "art" to be an insult.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Is Stolen Pixels art? If it isn't, then it's getting pretty damn close. These have been top notch Shamus. Keep up the great work!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Damn business men, trying to run game companies like a business!
More like "businessmen trying to run game companies like Bernard Maddof ran his banks and whatnot". But i digress. I'm only one man who'd prefer to respect people creating games, and would like a little bit of respect back. What do i, a common man, even mean to cackling moustache-twirling publishers who wallpaper their offices with money? Nothing.