Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
DJ Lord Destructocon said:
Can't forget about Golden Sun. Wake up and the town is being attacked by a volcano or meteors or something at least that does a shitload of destruction.
And then your mom realizes you've forgotten your coat and grabs it for you. With telekinesis. That manifests as a giant glowing hand.

I love that game.

hellsop

Feb 28, 2009
Zenode said:
Seriously........i hate you for linking to TV Tropes..there goes another few hours of my life

Maybe...i could create that page?
There's not much stopping you. Aside from losing yet another few hours of your life.

(And really, if you only shot a few hours on TVTropes, you're doing better than most of us. I think I'm into several hundred hours wasted reading that thing and the stuff it links to. What's that? Interesting wrinkle on the acquisition of super powers? Oh look, it's a web comic with 400 pages of archives to read... That'll suck up the evenings until the weekend.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
hellsop said:
Zenode said:
Seriously........i hate you for linking to TV Tropes..there goes another few hours of my life

Maybe...i could create that page?
There's not much stopping you. Aside from losing yet another few hours of your life.

(And really, if you only shot a few hours on TVTropes, you're doing better than most of us. I think I'm into several hundred hours wasted reading that thing and the stuff it links to. What's that? Interesting wrinkle on the acquisition of super powers? Oh look, it's a web comic with 400 pages of archives to read... That'll suck up the evenings until the weekend.
Ohhh i have lost moer than a few hours, like you its a few hundred.....i think i have had something like 32 tabs open at once and read them all...goddamn that site

neilsaccount

Jun 17, 2009
bioshock 2, fallout 3, cryostasis, portal. It's pretty funny when you think about how many games start with you waking up. i think prototype does it too, also saints row 2 if explosion induced comas count.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I think in dragon age origins being a human noble. little side quest in the beginning where you seduce someone and after it shows you both sleeping in the bed there is a knock on the door and the person dies and the castle is under attack.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
GruntOwner said:
In Baldur's Gate 2 you wake up from having been continuously tortured for a while. That SORT of counts, though it's more similar to TES openings.
Um... wut?

Daggerfall begins with you being sent on a mission, then getting stranded in a cave after your ship wrecks.
Morrowind starts with you being unloaded from a ship as a prisoner and going through "customs".
Oblivion starts with you in jail, then you follow the King when he uses a passage in your cell to sneak out of the castle.

Granted I haven't played Arena, so maybe that's the exception, but otherwise none of the TES games start with you anywhere near being tortured.
Irridium said:
In Fallout 3 you wake up by being born.

If that counts.
I'd say Fallout 3 counts since the actual game starts with you being woken-up by one of your friends and being informed that the guards are after you for reasons that neither you, nor your character, are really aware of. Chaos happens, you leave the fault, yadda yadda yadda, you save the world (or at least the DC area).

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
PhilWal said:
Slept Through The Apocalypse [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SleptThroughTheApocalypse]?
I was thinking that one, for the most part. Especially when dealing with gaming.

Either that, "Good Morning Crono" or "Wake Up, Go To School, Save the World".

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
GruntOwner said:
In Baldur's Gate 2 you wake up from having been continuously tortured for a while. That SORT of counts, though it's more similar to TES openings.
Um... wut?

Daggerfall begins with you being sent on a mission, then getting stranded in a cave after your ship wrecks.
Morrowind starts with you being unloaded from a ship as a prisoner and going through "customs".
Oblivion starts with you in jail, then you follow the King when he uses a passage in your cell to sneak out of the castle.

Granted I haven't played Arena, so maybe that's the exception, but otherwise none of the TES games start with you anywhere near being tortured.
I was refering to being in captivity with no immediate explanation. Not the whole torture thing. I had only heard from hearsay that TES liked to have you captured/being released/trapped at the beginning of their games. I only played Oblivion and neve really got too far into Morrowind.

Edit: Repaired the quote fail.

Archl

Mar 19, 2010
In Tales of Symphonia, Loydd wakes up in school, while being scolded for sleeping in class by Raine... which is a valid calamity.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the Alpha Protocol bed.

Read Full Article
Portal, Half life 2 and Dragon Age

jonjermey

Jun 16, 2010
The Journeyman Project did this way back in 1992. At the time I thought the protagonist was kind of slow-moving and confused. Now, nearly twenty years later, all my mornings are like that.

Darth Trethon

Jun 21, 2009
Not to be picky but for Mass Effect 2 it would be more appropriate to say: "Oh no!! I just returned from the dead and someone's trying to kill me!! Guys? Can I please have break?"

Naaman

Sep 13, 2008
It was also, kinda, done many years ago in the "Voice of the Whirlwind" novel.

'Hero' wakes up in a cloning facility but is years out of date because his other self forgot to update his brain scan

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
True, it's either that or starting in a viechle going somewhere (farcry2, half life2, crysis,etc.)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Arquinsiel said:
sniperworm said:
That really does prove nothing good ever comes from being woken up.
Unless you, ye know, save the world or something afterwards......
Which doesn't always apply. Gordon woke up late to work and the world hasn't been the same since.