Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the Alpha Protocol bed.

Read Full Article

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I don't know if it counts, but its pretty much the same thing for the tutorial for Global Agenda.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
In Baldur's Gate 2 you wake up from having been continuously tortured for a while. That SORT of counts, though it's more similar to TES openings.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
kind of same thing happens in HL2 where you were too tired and was sleeping on a train when gman had to wake you up with his awesome voice

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Mask of The Betrayer Add-On for NWN2: You wake in a barrow with a large wound in your chest.
Baldur's Gate 2: You wake up in a Dungeon owned by the bloke who tortured you.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Seriously........i hate you for linking to TV Tropes..there goes another few hours of my life

Maybe...i could create that page?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
The reason people do this, I would assume, is to keep the players playing. A good way to keep people going is to have mystery, and to make people interested from the start is have the character not know what happened. Then you find out as they find out and there is no fourth-wall breaking in which the character explains the backstory. The character doesn't know what happened and neither do you.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, hilarious...although, now looking at it does appear to be more of a common thread than I ever thought!

Bodyless

Dec 12, 2009
PoweD said:
kind of same thing happens in HL2 where you were too tired and was sleeping on a train when gman had to wake you up with his awesome voice
I dont think so. It always appeared to me that gman pulls you out of his off dimensioanl prison and drops you into the train. Maybe you were sleeping in there but thats why one of the other train riders says "i didnt see you getting on the train" or something.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Bodyless said:
PoweD said:
I dont think so. It always appeared to me that gman pulls you out of his off dimensioanl prison and drops you into the train. Maybe you were sleeping in there but thats why one of the other train riders says "i didnt see you getting on the train" or something.
'

Cryogenic sleeping still counts

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Well I guess The Nameless One Counts, waking up on a mortuary slab to discover that you may not in fact be a corpse seems to fit the bill.

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Fallout 3 has a variation, with the 'leave the vault quest', waking up to your dad having left and radroaches and security guards attacking.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Half-Life 1 sort of takes that route... You start the calamity but are then knocked unconscious. Then you awake in the test chamber and strike out into the now-transformed laboratories.

Sahm

Jan 22, 2009
This comic is hilarious because all three screenshots look exactly the same. I didn't realise how funny that is until I thought about it. I don't even remember what the text says. The games are identical. The player's stance and the way they are facing... the sciencey labs...

I'm sorry. This is a useless post.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
Everyone's getting the first one's in my head. Black Isle did a lot of "Good Morning, Disaster" openings. Baldur's Gate 2 (even one, since your told you need to leave, then Sarevok off's your literal old man.) Torment, NWN, and the console game Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (Woke up after being clubbed by thieves.) There are I'm sure thousands of older ones, but those were popular.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Dragon Age has the human noble opening where you do some stuff then go to sleep and then wake up in the middle of an attack as well.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
PoweD said:
Or it can be related to the end of Half-Life 1 where Gordon and G-Man talks on a train, only that in the HL2 beginning Freeman was "transferred" to that train that goes to city 17. You can think it actually happened since the others didn't see him get on. I don't think it takes 20 years to take a train to City 17.

Also, in Fallout 3, you wake up finding out that your father has escaped.