Stolen Pixels #210: The Business Plan

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008

Why would anybody ever invest in Resident Evil's Umbrella Corporation?

Read Full Article

MorpHie

Jul 8, 2010
Ankhwatcher said:
The characters are in the wrong places in frames 1 and 4.
Or maybe they are in the wrong places in frames 2 and 5?
Ever think about that? :)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
It would probably be better for them to drop all pretence of storyline and make it just a fun zombie-shooter game whose basic concept is nothing more than, as you said,

Shamus Young said:
The Umbrella Corporation makes zombies and you kill them.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Isn't money only useful if there are actual people around to buy things off? Seems to me that the whole zombie apocalypse thing might adversely affect the economy.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
poiumty said:
Wow, people commented before Shamus even posted. Now that's some speed.

What would you do with the Resident Evil story if Capcom asked you to handle the reboot?
I'd make some better characters, for one. Like an intelligent zombie with cool powers, or a villain that you come to respect or empathize with.
What about Nemesis from RE3? He was smarter than the average zombie, and in Resident Evil, a rocket launcher counts as a super power.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Shamus Young said:

Why would anybody ever invest in Resident Evil's Umbrella Corporation?

Read Full Article
a little late there Shamus

ggamer2

May 18, 2010
What would you do with the Resident Evil story if Capcom asked you to handle the reboot?
Oh, that's easy NANOMACHINES!, first part of the game you fight zombies ruined by haywire nanobots, and then BAM! nanos turned zombies into robots! And all the world goes to hell! Giant Robots, cyborgs, G-men, Power-armor wearing commandos, city-sized robot-zombie mosters and all the awesome in the world!

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Has Capcom ever made a game with a good story? Even more, has Capcom ever made a series of games that didn't have their stories devolve into a ridiculous, nonsensical mess?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Capcom games, but playing a Capcom game for the story is kind of like playing a Square Enix game for the awesomely fun combat. It completely misses the point.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao @ Wesker.

And, I do agree...really it should have clicked earlier...afterall, as mentioned...its Zombies! IT had to be Umbrella!

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
ZephrC said:
Has Capcom ever made a game with a good story? Even more, has Capcom ever made a series of games that didn't have their stories devolve into a ridiculous, nonsensical mess?
Oh, good ol' Dead Rising.

I just love how we skipped from "US Government experimenting with growth hormones" to "Bees that turn people into zombies." You could have explained that one just a little better.

AdamaGeist

Jul 7, 2009
Honestly, I think the big failure of RE is that they set up Umbrella as some Bio-engineering megacorp who work with living and undead weapons, and then just tried to keep them as some kind of legitimate corporation in the followups.

The fact is, the difference between Umbrella and Dai Shocker is that Chris Redfield isn't a Kamen Rider. Just admit it, it's an evil organization working to rule the world with bio-engineered super-soldiers. Just throw off the facade and go total zombie warfare.

minus_273c

Knackered Old Shit
Nov 21, 2009
You could add zombies that puke over you, or ones with really long tongues that grab you and drag you to your doom or...

Apr 17, 2009
In a reeboot I'd probably just drop Umbrella Corporation altogether and say it was the Devil doing it . Admit it, you know you'd like to shotgun Satan in the face :p
Or hey, it could be the Norse gods and Ragnarok. You could have a level set on the Naglfar...

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
I just watched the whole first game's cutscenes on youtube, I want to see more, and crappier, crappy writing. Geuiney LMAO'd.