Stolen Pixels #211: This is Not Funny

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I had a strong inkling you would do this. Because when Newell gives you lemons...

Except for the mustache. That made me laugh precisely because it was so unexpected.

zBeeble

Doublethinker
Nov 19, 2008
I came across this, and I don't remember where, but when steam isn't authorizing your client to do something, sometimes changing the "city" you're in fixes it.

ADeskofRichMahogany

Jan 4, 2010
Insightful comic. I'm really not a fan of how Valve games can (now) only be played when Steam has internet connection. In fact, I believe all games in the Steam library can only be played when Steam has connection, but I haven't tested that theory yet.

I remember the days when a person could choose to play Half-life 2 in offline mode and Steam was cool with it. But then Valve was like, "no." So now no one can play it offline anymore. A shame, really.

Apr 28, 2008
Haha! Glad you turned it into a comic.

I have this problem all the time. Steam is great, when it feels like working. When it doesn't god help you if you have the gall to want to enjoy a game you bought.

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
You lucky lucky bastard. Shaving sucks, but if I stop, the child sex crime unit of the local police start camping on my doorstep.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Irridium said:
Haha! Glad you turned it into a comic.

I have this problem all the time. Steam is great, when it feels like working. When it doesn't god help you if you have the gall to want to enjoy a game you bought.
I've had no end to problems since they introduced that damn Save cloud system. Luckily offline disables it, at the cost of not being able to play the one Valve game I never bothered to uninstall.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
You really can't grow facial hair? If so, I envy you. Having to shave is somewhat annoying.

Anyway, I hate it when steam does that. It seems that offline mode only works when it feels like it.
That's why I'm growing a beard!
Well, I'm not growing one intentionally as much as I neglect to shave for a couple of months at a time.
At least I look good in it.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Denamic said:
MGlBlaze said:
You really can't grow facial hair? If so, I envy you. Having to shave is somewhat annoying.

Anyway, I hate it when steam does that. It seems that offline mode only works when it feels like it.
That's why I'm growing a beard!
Well, I'm not growing one intentionally as much as I neglect to shave for a couple of months at a time.
At least I look good in it.
Exactly. Facial hair is such a nuisance. It requires constant maintenance if you don't want to look like a pedo or a hobo.

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
I've had no end to problems since they introduced that damn Save cloud system. Luckily offline disables it, at the cost of not being able to play the one Valve game I never bothered to uninstall.
There's a global setting to turn it off, thank goodness. It's in Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud. I honestly wish I knew why they decided to implement such a terribly done "feature". The thing kept resetting all my graphics options and hotkeys until I found the global off button. But whatever you do, don't try turning it off for individual games (Properties > Updates when you right-click a game); sometimes, when the game gets patched, the cloud gets re-enabled. Aaaauugh.

I like Steam. It's a great way to get cheap games. But I can't bring myself to love it, with all its quirky hangups.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I find this absurd. I've just played Gmod in Offline Mode without experiencing any problems at all.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #211: This is Not Funny

You can all blame Gabe Newell and Gordon Freeman for this one.

Read Full Article
Wow, first Blizzard screws you over on your article, then Valve screws you over on your comic.

It appears that everyone has it in for you.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol no facial hair id want that! i have very little hair so its the annoying kinda facial hair, not enough to make a beard/mustache but just enough to make them look unsightly >.< T.T

Pretty clutch comic strip this time around XD

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Very posh 'stache. Now all you need is a top hat, monocle and cane! It's worked for other Escapist members:

See?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Soylent Bacon said:
Klingonmage said:
I was experiencing similar trouble, the soultion, as it turns out is to scarfice a goat in the name of Newell, that should get things running. Oh, also, you cannot eat sushi on a friday anymore.
The Great Gabe does not accept goat sacrifices. In this case, it is better to sacrifice clientregistry.blob to him. It's actually a blob of tasty lard and hamburger meat. The author of this comic should put it between buns and send it to Newell through the Recycle Bin.
I laughed harder at this post than the comic. Nice one!

It's true though! I had trouble with supcom 2 at launch - I went through about 3 goats and screaming to the skies cursing Newell's name until I went to steam forums and learned about the rare blob.

Then I played Supcom 2 and it turned out to be shit :\