Stolen Pixels #217: The Empire Strikes First

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #217: The Empire Strikes First

The parallels between Luke Skywalker and the hero of The Force Unleashed are slightly uncanny.

Read Full Article

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Starkillers name is actually given as Galen Malek...somewhere

OT: Interesting comparison, I never really noticed that before.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, nice play on a very old joke...gave me a good chuckle.

Although you really digging force unleashed, huh?

NinjaKiwi

Jul 12, 2010
makes me think that Vader has some serious daddy issues he needs to work through

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
That scenario had never really occurred to me. Good show.

Also that Lincoln/Kennedy thing blew my mind.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Toasty Virus said:
Is Starkiller Polish, or Czech? That name sounds far too Eastern-European for a galaxy far far away, if you ask me.

And yes, there are quite a lot of similarities.

V'icternus

Apr 15, 2009
That last panel? That just made my day.

...Wow, 1AM and my day has already been made. No reason to wake up, then!

I too noticed during my repeated replays of this game that there was something of a conflicting story going on, with the whole father/son dynamic being all crazy.

I am dissapointed that Kota didn't tell you that Vader IS your father.

...From a certain point of view.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
The old "Reverse Luke I am your father" trick. Makes me chuckle every time.
You know, I've been killing myself with trying to make a comic and a while ago I was trying to do something like Unskipable, and failed at both. But combined, like this, they may just work!
I'll be stealing your pixel stealing idea from now on.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't understand any of this comic. The sidebar, yes.

The comic...not so much.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Toasty Virus said:
It was mentioned in the literature (either the novel or comic book). Never mentioned in the game. But i had to learn it from wookiepedia.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Which is worse? The guy you hate tells you he is your father and wants you to fight by his side. Or the guy you love tells you it was all a lie and you should go fight for the other side. Alone.

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I don't understand any of this comic. The sidebar, yes.

The comic...not so much.
The comic is a parody of the famous scene from Empire Strikes Back. Starkiller takes the place of Luke and uses his dialogue from the scene. Vader's dialogue is changed to reflect his relationship with Starkiller.
Ex. In ESB, Vader tells Luke that he is Luke's father. This elicits the "That's impossible" reaction. Luke believed Vader killed his father.
In the comic, Vader tells Starkiller that he isn't Starkiller's father. Starkiller believed Vader was his father, thus causing him to say the same line as Luke.
If you haven't seen Empire or played TFU this would probably be rather confusing.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Hey Shamus! If you look at the True-Father-Killed-In-Intro cutscene, right when the little boy steals the big mean guy's lightsabre, listen to what the father says. I believe you will then have at least the first half of the name you are looking for.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Funnily enough, I was listening to the Bad Religion album 'The Empire Strikes First' as I read the comic....

I'd never noticed the similarities between Luke and Starkiller. The parallels seem rather obvious now that they're mentioned

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
dls182 said:
I'd never noticed the similarities between Luke and Starkiller. The parallels seem rather obvious now that they're mentioned
Which is even funnier if you know that Luke's surname was originally going to be Starkiller