Stolen Pixels #218: Now Hiring

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #218: Now Hiring

Palpatine changes apprentices the way people change socks.

Read Full Article

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
The "You kill it, you win it" order of things never made sense to me. You could have your one supreme guy knowing he was the better one, or you could just have two guys of similar power.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
That actually is in the "Rule of Two" Sith Apprentice Job description. The point of the Apprentice is either to overthrow the Master or be replaced by a stronger Apprentice. It fits with the whole "Social Darwin/Necromonger"-approach of the Sith.

"I need an Apprentice, you're it until I find someone better."

So it's not like Vader didn't exactly know what he was getting into it's just that aside from Luke and Starkiller there weren't a lot of serious applicants for the job.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Bob_F_It said:
The "You kill it, you win it" order of things never made sense to me. You could have your one supreme guy knowing he was the better one, or you could just have two guys of similar power.
EDIT: NINJA'D

The theory is based off of Darth Revan's (Yes, THE Darth Revan from Kotor) rule of two. There are always two sith, never more than two. One to hold the power, and one to crave it. The Jedi became so weak and let palpatine slip by unknowing he was a sith because there were so many Jedi, they diluted the force basically. Too many people trying to use the light side of it. The rule of two ensures that the two sith are as powerful as possible.

THe one who craves the power is expected to kill his master. It's almost a complement to the master in a "You trained me well, I will carry on the Sith legacy from here" kinda way. You earn what you kill

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao...its so true too...wel, I suppose means you will always have fresh faces, but...not really a loyalty scheme going on

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Man. I was going to get Star Wars nerd all over this thread and talk about the Sith's Darwinistic view of the world etc etc.

*Shakes fist* Curse you! I will strike you all down and take my place at the Emperor's side!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
what there can only be 2 sith at any given time! as Yoda said "always 2 there is"

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Bob_F_It said:

The theory is based off of Darth Revan's (Yes, THE Darth Revan from Kotor) rule of two. There are always two sith, never more than two. One to hold the power, and one to crave it. The Jedi became so weak and let palpatine slip by unknowing he was a sith because there were so many Jedi, they diluted the force basically. Too many people trying to use the light side of it. The rule of two ensures that the two sith are as powerful as possible.

THe one who craves the power is expected to kill his master. It's almost a complement to the master in a "You trained me well, I will carry on the Sith legacy from here" kinda way. You earn what you kill
So, Order 66 made individual Jedi more powerful? Less Jedi = more Force to go around. Hmmmmm.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
ben---neb said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Bob_F_It said:

So, Order 66 made individual Jedi more powerful? Less Jedi = more Force to go around. Hmmmmm.
Technically it was the best thing to happen to the Jedi. It's one reason why Luke Skywalker was so power, along with Yoda. He was the only trained Jedi Knight left, he carried the brunt of the lightside like a Banhammer... And then in the books after the series he makes a very small academy

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:

As i understood it, it's more because the first time the Sith tried to take over (under Darth Bane, i think?) they were more numerous...buth each sith plotted to kill the others so he alone could have all the power. After the resulting massacre the jedi mopped up the remains and called it a victory.

Putting more than 1 sith in a room at the same time just ain't a good idea.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Mathak said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

As i understood it, it's more because the first time the Sith tried to take over (under Darth Bane, i think?) they were more numerous...buth each sith plotted to kill the others so he alone could have all the power. After the resulting massacre the jedi mopped up the remains and called it a victory.

No, the Sith have remained united before. They thrived under the Rule of 2 with Darth RRevan, and Revan often encouraged Malik to strike him down, offering advice. But the force is an essence that flows through all living things. If more beings are trying to syphon that power, then each person gets less power to syphon.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Mathak said:
Celtic_Kerr said:

This right here.

Less inverse law of ninja more gaggle of doucebags.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
ben---neb said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Bob_F_It said:

Technically it was the best thing to happen to the Jedi. It's one reason why Luke Skywalker was so power, along with Yoda. He was the only trained Jedi Knight left, he carried the brunt of the lightside like a Banhammer... And then in the books after the series he makes a very small academy
And That actually explains the problems in Shamus' comic last week. though there is still a huge difference in pushing some Droids and pulling a Star Destroyer from the upper atmosphere.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Parshooter said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
ben---neb said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Bob_F_It said:

And That actually explains the problems in Shamus' comic last week. though there is still a huge difference in pushing some Droids and pulling a Star Destroyer from the upper atmosphere.
Well that's the thing... THey're constantly trying to one up-themselves. I believe it was Marr_LRR that mentioned putting a fleet of Star destroyers in motion. I think I'd read tht book and they're dimply augmented the power of the drives, they didn't actually put the star destroyers into hyper drive. Atleast I think.

it's getting too far fetched sometimes, even for star wars

RiffRaff

May 5, 2009
Shamus, that comic was great. I was and still am trying to stifle my laughter so my cube neighbors in the office won't think I'm crazy.

Thanks!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I dont think that a good system to use when you want to promote someone...But still it easy enough. Just kill the guy above you and you are promoted!