Stolen Pixels #229: The Tearful Goodbye

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #229: The Tearful Goodbye

An alternate interpretation of the Good Old Games fiasco.

Read Full Article

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Gog is awesome, no DRM and you don't have to mess around with DosBox to play those old games.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Hey, I just heard, unless we can sell 1500 Publisher's Club subscriptions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe] by the end of next week, we'll have to get rid of all our original content and just re-post stuff from Digg gaming to try and make ends meet. :(

Sorry for breaking the news this way, but it seemed an appropriate context.

Dec 14, 2009
Kross said:
Hey, I just heard, unless we can sell 1500 Publisher's Club subscriptions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe] by the end of next week, we'll have to get rid of all our original content and just re-post stuff from Digg gaming to try and make ends meet. :(

A sly move Kross, sly indeed. No dice!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I hate them for that marketing stunt they pulled...

Just tell us that you're redesigning the fucking site!

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
I shit myself when I visited the site earlier in the week and found their announcement about going out of business, especially as I hadn't been on the site for a number of weeks.

And now its back, thankfully, I can now finish my Tex Murphy binge :)

Though they could have saved that kind of prank till April 1st though

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Kross said:

Well I guess I'll start making an account in Digg. ;)

As for GoG, I kinda missed the whole "affair" (working for long and when I had free time playing DWARF FORTRESS!) and I got to know about it proximately 16 minutes before it ended.
I get it that people can get pissed over the fact that simple site face lift. IMO they should have just informed people about regular maintenance and than do all that crap.

But let's be honest 90% of people who said "You disappointed me GOG! I will never come back again" came back again the very day they said it...

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate them for that marketing stunt they pulled...

Just tell us that you're redesigning the fucking site!
Dude, they are punching Bobby Kotick in the happy sack. After that, they can pull whatever marketing shit they want imo.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Nice comice as always. Though they really fooled me...

Anyone else want to punch Bobby in the daddy bags?

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Nice comice as always. Though they really fooled me...

Anyone else want to punch Bobby in the daddy bags?
Only so long as that punch involves a follow-up shotgun administered buckshot enema for Mr Kotick. XD

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
I think this captures the sentiments quite nicely. The most affecting part of this whole fiasco was the fact that GOG was always seen as "doing it right," keeping old titles alive and providing a reasonable alternative to pirating, and when they announced the shutdown it felt like the gaming community as consumers somehow failed them. When they came back and announced, "Just kidding! We're actually doing pretty awesome!" it made you feel a little less respected.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
Honestly, if they had given warning then everyone would have hurried up, backed all their stuff up, and never given GOG another look since, and their prank would have backfired. Now everyone HAS to check out the new site to back up their games and bonus content. Brilliant, really. ;)

And speaking of Kotick, if Activision pulled this kind of controversially poor tasted stunt I highly doubt he'd make a video dressed as a monk and pray to his customers for forgiveness.

Bioshock and Assassin's Creed II are probably also going to be on GOG one day I'd imagine. Then you can effectively kick the gonads of everyone who thinks DRM needs to be more and more invasive and draconian.