Stolen Pixels #246: New Vegas, Part 1

cke

Jun 20, 2010
Well, If you think about it, Fallout 3 starts even stranger.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Yeah, I never figured out what was the point in all those silly tests. Didn't mind them, but they were very odd.

Rolaran

Apr 14, 2009
At least he got his neck fixed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104563-Fallout-New-Vegas-Patch-Coming-As-Quickly-As-Possible

What's worse than spending the better part of a week sitting in a doctor's office unconscious and mostly nude? Having the doctor calmly talk about "rootin' around in yer noggin" while his head slides down onto the front of his torso, Shou Tucker style.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
That scene is all the more weird with body mods installed; your character is sat there in the buff while amateur head-shrink works his voodoo.

InterAirplay said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the inkblot answers made a difference to your character stats?
They set up your Tag! skills, but seeing as he immediately lets you change them and then you get another chance when you leave the town boundary it's all a bit pointless.

Alkore

May 25, 2009
you mean thats not the regular treatment for someone who has been shot in the head? That old man lied to me

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
That one is the most horrible bug I've seen ever. Scary too. I mean, if it happened to me, i didn't even know at the start if it was meant to be that way.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I don't know if it is just me, but I notice the NPC bobs their head in a specific way. Depending who you are talking to would make it look awkward to appealing.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
cke said:
Well, If you think about it, Fallout 3 starts even stranger.
Being born and living through your childhood.
vs.
Being stared at and interrogated by a stranger. In your underpants.

I think that really depends on your definition of strange.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i really hate the start of new vegas, in the other games the reason you didnt know anything about the outside world was that you had lived your entire life in a isolated community and all you knew about the outside had been told and retold so many times and to so many people that the information that remained was nothing but a fairy tale, and the combat system, map and information all relies on your pip boy which was either standard issue given out to most residents or a piece of ancient technology passed down trough generations.

in new vegas you have amnesia and some dude just gives you, a complete stranger, this piece of advanced technology for no reason, and thats just the tip of the iceberg of poor writing in this game, i agree that fallout 3 had a ton of problems with its story, but new vegas makes it look like fallout 2.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I say Shamus and Yahtzee should team up to do a proper lets play of New Vegas. Whose with me?

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Fallout is probably the only game I don't mind stealing shit from people. Simply because there is no emotional connection/benefit of withholding yourself. Karma is indeed a ***** but NOT in Fallout. It means absolute jack in the end.

I say, steal everything you set your eyes upon!
Ever play any JRPGs?

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
EDIT, I misread someone's post which I replied to so I'm only having the second half of the post I had here:

But seriously, Fallout 2 if you actually think about it, it's beginning is even stranger than Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. I mean, in Fallout 2 the fact that it was only like 80 years after fallout 1 and you're a descendant of someone who was born in the vault and has tons of experience with dealing the wasteland and yet the tribe you're born into is so pathetic with its lack of science and engineering ability. No wait, Fallout 2 can make sense only if you think that in Fallout one your character had an intelligence of like 1 but maybe a charisma score of 10.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
thenamelessloser said:
Straying Bullet said:
Fallout is probably the only game I don't mind stealing shit from people. Simply because there is no emotional connection/benefit of withholding yourself. Karma is indeed a ***** but NOT in Fallout. It means absolute jack in the end.

I say, steal everything you set your eyes upon!
Ever play any JRPGs?
FF6 [ Awesome game ]
FF13 [ Holy shit, lost faith lololololol in JRPG ]

But no, I don't play them anymore. Mind-numbing and totally not my thing/genre. I prefer Western RPG's.
That wasn't my point. My point that in JRPGs stealing often has no penalties. That is all. I wasn't saying anything about JRPGS actually being good games.