Stolen Pixels #255: The Veep

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Oh yeah, thats right. Those capcom games use the always online DRM.

From a PC gamer to any PS3 owner who can't play their legally bought games... welcome to our world. And I totally know how your feeling.
Do we even have that any more? I know Ubisoft took it off Conviction and AC2, and I thought they were getting rid of the perma-connection stuff for all future games too?
AC2 still needs to be connected every time you start it up, but doesn't need to be after that. Conviction may be the same. Which is still pretty damn stupid, but its not as bad. Kind of like a punch in the stomach isn't as bad as a punch in the balls.

And I think they are getting rid of it for future games, and sticking to the standard online check at install.

Although it sickens me that an online check at install has become the standard these days.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
saregos said:
Wolfram01 said:
BSOD, Skyrim, Catherine. Nice choices lol... he must have a Dell.
Second one's Lair, actually. Same shot here: http://www.gamemunition.com/articles/10-most-overhyped-ps3-titles/ #3 (yeah, it's probably somewhere on escapist too but I'm lazy)

Ok, those retards at that site THINK MASS EFFECT IS AN XBOX 360 EXCLUSIVE??! i saw the PC version out in stores Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the xbox version.
OT: Nice comic again shamus! keep em comin'!
Technically, for quite a while, it was. ME was out on 360 almost 6 months before a PC version was implemented.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Keith K said:
I expect the Escapist to remove all profile fields asking for personal information or risk being labelled blatantly hypocritical.

You don't need to know my Real name, Location, OCCUPATION?!, Country, Birth date (excuse me?), Gender, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN/Skype, XBL/PSN/Steam/Wii/Xfire/Kongregate/Raptr, Twitter/Facebook/YouTube.. etc etc etc.

Don't even ask.

You're setting yourselves up for the same fall mi amigos.
And that's one reason I gave a little information as possible. I have not linked any of my outside accounts to the escapist. I come here to watch videos, read web-comics, and chat in the forums a little. No one needs access to or knowledge of my other accounts. And if I wanted anyone to know that kind of stuff, I'd tell them personally.

OT: Kinda funny if a little hyperbolic.

Is there anything Kevin Butler can't make funny?
[sub]Please be aware that I'm trying to make light of this situation because it really does suck.[/sub]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Scott Bullock said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Keith K said:
I expect the Escapist to remove all profile fields asking for personal information or risk being labelled blatantly hypocritical.

You don't need to know my Real name, Location, OCCUPATION?!, Country, Birth date (excuse me?), Gender, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN/Skype, XBL/PSN/Steam/Wii/Xfire/Kongregate/Raptr, Twitter/Facebook/YouTube.. etc etc etc.

Don't even ask.

Then don't enter it. We don't require your personal information in order to view the site. Or even to be registered on it. You can put in as much or as little information as you like.
Still.. Having those settings there DOES send a hypocritical vibe, Susan.. Just sayin'.
I honestly don't see how. The information is there to help folks better connect with other members of the community, should they want to. It's entirely optional, there for you to use as a tool, nothing more. How are we hypocrites for reporting on a security issue that is affecting readers while simultaneously NOT demanding that readers provide us with the kind of info that was compromised? I really don't understand the thought process at work.
Okay, I feel like I have to ask this, then. How are my credit card details that I submitted to The Escapist for Publisher's Club being stored? Where do those details go?
You know, considering your apparent paranoia concerning the Escapist's security, I figured you'd be the last person to want information on how it's all protected publicly posted.

Also, nobody is mad at Sony for having the information, they're pissed because they didn't protect it vehemently enough. Nobody has hacked the Escapist and stolen credit info, so calling us hypocrites is just using the word wrong.
Admittedly, I have not read this full conversation, but from this little bit of the comments, you are coming off far too defensive and insulting. And insults are the last, desperate stand of someone who has no argument and knows it.

And I'd like to point out that what you're quoting from MattAn24 came across as him trying to prove a point. I don't think he was actually asking for the information. Just trying to point out that complaining about Sony asking for the same information this site does comes off as hypocritical. Whether you think so or not. Will you willingly take the blame should someone hack the Escapist and steal all of our personal information? Will you admit that this site should have done better?

I, for one, am not mad at Sony over this. The only person I am angry at is the hacker. Saying that Sony didn't protect the information well enough after it has been stolen is a bad argument. Who is to say that they didn't have the single best system to protect our information out there, but this hacker was skilled, knowledgeable, and persistent? Who's to say that they aren't hacking Microsoft as we speak?

However, if I should find some information that proves that Sony was knowingly negligent (or just plain olde fashioned negligent) in their security, my opinion will change. But until that evidence comes to the surface, I'll just ignorantly believe that Sony is not at fault.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
I think people not being able to play Bionic Commando 2 is the lesser of several evils right now..

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Saltyk said:
Scott Bullock said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Keith K said:

Don't even ask.

Then don't enter it. We don't require your personal information in order to view the site. Or even to be registered on it. You can put in as much or as little information as you like.
Still.. Having those settings there DOES send a hypocritical vibe, Susan.. Just sayin'.
I honestly don't see how. The information is there to help folks better connect with other members of the community, should they want to. It's entirely optional, there for you to use as a tool, nothing more. How are we hypocrites for reporting on a security issue that is affecting readers while simultaneously NOT demanding that readers provide us with the kind of info that was compromised? I really don't understand the thought process at work.
Okay, I feel like I have to ask this, then. How are my credit card details that I submitted to The Escapist for Publisher's Club being stored? Where do those details go?
You know, considering your apparent paranoia concerning the Escapist's security, I figured you'd be the last person to want information on how it's all protected publicly posted.

Also, nobody is mad at Sony for having the information, they're pissed because they didn't protect it vehemently enough. Nobody has hacked the Escapist and stolen credit info, so calling us hypocrites is just using the word wrong.
Admittedly, I have not read this full conversation, but from this little bit of the comments, you are coming off far too defensive and insulting. And insults are the last, desperate stand of someone who has no argument and knows it.
He insulted someone did he? Do tell me where in his post that was. He pointed out that it was silly to ask for the info requested to be posted in this thread, then he explained the position of people mad at sony.

Do you feel insulted that he didn't agree or that you didn't get a pat on the head? He might have been a little sarcastic like I just was, but insulting? Thats a rather arbitrary thing to say given that there was nothing degrading I can see in there.

There was a /facepalm in there, but I edited it out to protect your feelings. Seriously, cheer up. :p

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
This reminds of a Youtube video i saw earlier making fun of it using the same jokes http://youtu.be/Cwn4R_GexLM

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Eldarion said:
Saltyk said:
Scott Bullock said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
MattAn24 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Keith K said:

Don't even ask.

He insulted someone did he? Do tell me where in his post that was. He pointed out that it was silly to ask for the info requested to be posted in this thread, then he explained the position of people mad at sony.

Do you feel insulted that he didn't agree or that you didn't get a pat on the head? He might have been a little sarcastic like I just was, but insulting? Thats a rather arbitrary thing to say given that there was nothing degrading I can see in there.

There was a /facepalm in there, but I edited it out to protect your feelings. Seriously, cheer up. :p
Well, the way I look at it, he did. Keep in mind, the person I was quoting wasn't JUST a member like we are. He represents The Escapists in the purest sense. He should be, and indeed is, held to a higher standard. And as far as I could tell, he decided to interject himself into a conversation between another member of the Escapist staff and a member.

Plus, the implications of how he phrased it are very insulting. How often have you said, "I figured you'd be the last person..." in a way that wasn't condescending? Seriously, say that out loud and try not to sound like an asshole. There's only two ways I've ever said that. With a feeling of betrayal, and insulting the other person's intelligence (whether they knew it or not). So, yes, I do feel he was insulting a member of the Escapist.

It has nothing to do with whether he agrees with me or not. In fact, I was interjecting myself into that conversation (so i can't really throw too many stones here). And one of my favorite parts of this site is reading all the different opinions people have. Some I agree with, some I doubt, and most I can understand or find common ground.

And, I saw the previous /facepalm. Good thing you removed it. I was gonna use that in my reply. But since you willingly edited it out, I guess I can't. Damn. You foiled me! :p

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Well kevin butler has explained his way out of worse I'm sure he'll sweet talk his way out of this.

Feb 19, 2010
saregos said:
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
saregos said:
Wolfram01 said:
BSOD, Skyrim, Catherine. Nice choices lol... he must have a Dell.
Second one's Lair, actually. Same shot here: http://www.gamemunition.com/articles/10-most-overhyped-ps3-titles/ #3 (yeah, it's probably somewhere on escapist too but I'm lazy)

Ok, those retards at that site THINK MASS EFFECT IS AN XBOX 360 EXCLUSIVE??! i saw the PC version out in stores Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the xbox version.
OT: Nice comic again shamus! keep em comin'!
Technically, for quite a while, it was. ME was out on 360 almost 6 months before a PC version was implemented.
Well, i mentioned before, i asked in gamestop when i bought ME1 for the PC when is the xbox version going to be released & the reply was 'dunno'. l

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Keith K said:

Don't even ask.

Does the Escapist even look at that stuff? I thought it was just for other users to see? Makes befriending people easier when you know how old they make themselves out to be, and where and how they game.

poiumty said:
This strip is remarkably similar to the Penny Arcade one.

It's also less funny.
I don't get it. :3

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So, nobody else noticed that the BSOD screen was from Portal 2? "Press any key to flood the facility with deadly neurotoxin", indeed.

MattAn24 said:
My payment and renewal notices came from Amazon Payments (as in Amazon.com). I suppose The Escapist contracted with them to handle that.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
my flatmate called and cancelled his PSN account or whatever it was he had
he doesn't even have a PS3, he has a PSP lol

could tell by the convo that the rep person on the phone was desperately trying to convince him to not cancel and just wait it out or whatnot haha...guess he wasn't the only one. but hey it's free, right? so it's not like anyone's nearly as tied to a particular account