Stolen Pixels #39: Not a People Person

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #39: Not a People Person

In Fallout 3, being a jerk is not an obstacle to success. Even when it probably should be.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Heh, you've a point.

I haven't rolled a character with no intelligence in fallout 3 yet, so I wouldn't know.

I do have memories of Baldur's Gate doing the same thing though.

taelus

Sep 17, 2008
I'm more annoyed that it falls into the realm with so many other games of "evil means you're a jerk to everyone all the time". I mean really, evil can be very attractive, witty, and intelligent (and the more infamous ones usually are). I just really wish more games would allow someone who's going with a "darker" character to be conniving and not just mean. Hell, many of our favorite heroes who save the world have been complete jerks, but in these games, they'd be villains too. It just annoys me, that's all.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmm.. the original Fallout games sound awesome, my only prior experience with the Fallout universe was a demo of Fallout Tactics, which I quite enjoyed.
Does anyone know if Fallout 1+2 are on Steam or any where else I can download them?

Good comic Mr Young.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
You can score Fallout 1 or 2 from Good Old Games for six bucks:

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/search/fallout

DRM free, the way nature intended.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
I'm enjoying the life of a paladin in the new Fallout but that may be because of my guilt genes. Jewish mother, Catholic father. These same drives had me playing Lone Ranger of the wastes in the past two Fallout games. Even when I want to try being a bad guy, some small child walks up to me and tells me about how her parents were killed by slavers and I want to be a better person than the rapist/murderer/cannibals who come after me every time I go wandering.

And I've still never killed a Little Sister. Thanks mom.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Eagle Est1986 said:
Hmm.. the original Fallout games sound awesome, my only prior experience with the Fallout universe was a demo of Fallout Tactics, which I quite enjoyed.
Does anyone know if Fallout 1+2 are on Steam or any where else I can download them?

Good comic Mr Young.
I remember going into EB, or gamestop as its now known, and asked if they had a copy of Fall Out 2. Turns out they did, so I guess you just got to get lucky. :D

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I just started playing Fallout 3 (yes, I know, it took me a couple weeks to get, I'm sorry) and I laughed my ass off reading this. Well done!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
That conversation played continuously in my head as I played the game. Wherever I turned, idiots! And one of them was me, even with 10 intelligence : (

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I understand what you're getting at and for the most part, I agree. On the other hand, I never really played the original games for long with a character having low CHA or INT. It was fun for a few minutes, sure, but it got old fast. I take it Bethesda didn't want to spend days on dialogue (written and spoken) for what is really a novelty.

On the other hand, higher values do still have an impact as they open up unique dialogue, which is actually handy in progressing certain parts of the story/quests.

Funny comic as always though :)

MossStone

Jan 22, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
On the other hand, higher values do still have an impact as they open up unique dialogue, which is actually handy in progressing certain parts of the story/quests.
People will still call you an idiot a lot of the time even with charisma and intelligence at 10. Ignore the dialogue, focus on the shooting people's limbs off.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I hate how people in these kind of games can be so bloody pushy even if you wave a gun in their face. Regardless if I was armed myself or not, my first reaction against a threatening, armed individual would not be to be a smart-ass : P

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Lt. Sera said:
I understand what you're getting at and for the most part, I agree. On the other hand, I never really played the original games for long with a character having low CHA or INT. It was fun for a few minutes, sure, but it got old fast. I take it Bethesda didn't want to spend days on dialogue (written and spoken) for what is really a novelty.

Funny comic as always though :)
A novelty? It was a sacrifice. If you wanted lots of strength and endurance or something, you would have to sacrifice something else. If you wanted to go through everything with brute force and you didn't care about dialogue, that ended conversations fairly quickly. Also, if someone was actually stupid in the game, you could "understand" them better than if you were overly intelligent.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
A novelty? It was a sacrifice.
True, but how many people would really play that route till the end? It's a lot of dev time for something that I doubt many people would actually use. From a publishers point of view it's therefore a waste of time and resources.

I'd like it to be in it, don't get me wrong, but I understand why it's not.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Lt. Sera said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
A novelty? It was a sacrifice.
True, but how many people would really play that route till the end? It's a lot of dev time for something that I doubt many people would actually use. From a publishers point of view it's therefore a waste of time and resources.

I'd like it to be in it, don't get me wrong, but I understand why it's not.
Great, now we're letting devs. get off with being lazy.

Development costs:

That is not a LOLcat, that is Argue-Cat.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
T'is sadly how the market currently works. Quality is being tied down by shareholders and CEO's.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
That would have been the best game tutorial/intro ever, not to mention the most hilarious bithday party ever:D And it would most certainly be interesting to see how your father would react when all you could do is to grunt at him...