Stolen Pixels #40: I Know a Shortcut

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #40: I Know a Shortcut

There are many valuable life lessons to be learned by playing Fallout 3. Pay close attention.

ydant

Nov 21, 2008
Absolutely. This is why I love watching other people play games like this. I will gladly tromp from one end of the earth to the other collecting these small trinkets just for the hope of a few extra XP. My girlfriend shoots anyone who dares to bother her with such requests.

I do it for the extra gameplay, mainly. The main storyline isn't so important as much as exploring the world for me.

I'm also labeled as really good because I keep helping people. What the game doesn't understand is I'm helping them just because it gets me the most stuff... It's just not convenient to kill them - although I would if it were.

Spectere

Oct 21, 2008
Heh heh heh...exactly.

I'm playing two characters in FO3: a good guy and an evil jerk. Incidentally, I'm progressing much faster on the latter despite starting him after the former.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
ya... they have you do insane things, for small Reward, hmmm i found it easier to move my good char around

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Tis very true Shamus. People want me to do silly long quests for what?! A bottle of vodka? Sod off, how about I kill you and just take your vodka?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
ckeymel said:
haha nice, I loved this! :D It's like you were channeling Erik play!
I AM A SAINT. My karma says so. So does my combat shotgun.

I probably should stop yelling "SHOTGUN TO THE FACE" every time someone talks to looks at me in Fallout though.

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
My alignment picture is Jesus. xD

I just find this funny due to how much I steal shit. 8p

Also, gotta love being able to cosplay as Leather Face (Ghoul Mask) and still be a Very Good / Saint.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Yeah, it seems really easy to be Vault Jesus no matter how many people you shoot in the face, things you steal, etc. as long as you pick the "good character" decisions in the main quest line.

This is a great comic though. The way to earn cash in Fallout 3 has nothing to do with the people giving you rewards and everything to do with your skills in Repair and Barter.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Hmmm - I like these quests, because essentially they tell me there *is* a fortress, and then stick it on the map. And then I can go and sightsee, shoot the locals, whatever.

I gotta say that cash doesn't seem that useful so far. I tried out a good char, rather than my usual thief type, and with a high repair skill mostly I just fix stuff up and sell at a margin (even without of course just putting junk together to make stuff to sell...)

The other great thing about not stealing stuff is... it saves so much time! In oblivion I'd obsessively loot everything and, realistically, you're just loading down your char with stuff you'll never need/spend/whatever. Not to mention the time spent turning everything over.

Being good is liberating. Fallout taught me that.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Jericho: Sorry kid, you're a little too goody two-shoes for me. I'm not gonna travel with you.

Me: What in the hell did this guy do to....oh damnit, he has the "killable children" cheat >_>

ydant

Nov 21, 2008
domicius: From my testing you get more money selling two broken items than using one to repair the other then selling the repaired one. The only time I repair junk items is if I'm in the field and want to regain some inventory space.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
Your doing it wrong...your supposed to stab Wolfgang and shoot his guard and brahmin.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
First you help the traders increase their supply (canterbury commons quest), then proceed with shooting in the face. Ah shooting in the face, is it ever not the right thing to do?

(just started an evil character)

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
First you help the traders increase their supply (canterbury commons quest), then proceed with shooting in the face. Ah shooting in the face, is it ever not the right thing to do?

(just started an evil character)
Blow up Megaton for me. Along with Burke!

I just picked up the Contract Killer perk to lower my karma. I've just been going around, doing stuff, yet I'm seen as the jesus of the wastelands. Stealing doesn't do anything. I've murdered the entire Family, left no witnesses and looted their place. Hardly did anything. Yet somehow that stupid Lucy West found out about it and now she doesn't want to talk to me anymore, since she "heard about my little killing spree at Arefu." First of all, missy, I didn't kill anyone there. Second, I left no witnesses at the Family's hideout and no one else knows about them. How did you find out?! Meh, no matter, I was done with her quest anyway.

/silly rant over. Now, to find me some more ears.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
I generally do their little quest and then after they give me the reward, I shoot them in the face, as punishment for all the trouble.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Riicek said:
I generally do their little quest and then after they give me the reward, I shoot them in the face, as punishment for all the trouble.
When someone pisses me off, I save the game, shoot them in the head, then reload and let them treat me like a doormat.

I've killed Moriarty in Megaton about a dozen times now, but he doesn't know it. :)

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Riicek said:
When someone pisses me off, I save the game, shoot them in the head, then reload and let them treat me like a doormat.

I've killed Moriarty in Megaton about a dozen times now, but he doesn't know it. :)
Same here! One of the good things in Fallout is actually the ability to shoot obnoxious NPC's in the face - well, as long they aren't children or main quest relevant. However, compared to most other RPG's that's a vast improvement. You know the type. You saved the princess, slain the dragon, stopped the orc army, dethroned the Evil Emperor and driven back the Cosmic Horror to it's dimension ... and the NPC's still give you attitude.

Also, having the soon-to-be-traitor NPC behave like a complete jerk to build up antipathy is too cheap even for fanfic authors, yet it goes unchallenged in video games.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
War never changes, and Fallout at least can give you a real "hero" of the land that can walk into anybody's house and blow everybody's head :)

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Damn, so many times I wish I could kill the NPCs and loot them instead of doing their crappy quests with shitty loot. I should play fallout then. :)