Stolen Pixels #45: New and Improved!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #45: New and Improved!

Surprisingly enough, Silent Hill Homecoming turned out to be pretty horrifying. Just not in the way the developers intended.

Read Full Article

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Very good Shamus, I'm glad I'm not the only person that finds achievements immersion breaking. The PS3 ones are slightly better but there should really be a way to just make them silent and invisible.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eagle Est1986 said:
Very good Shamus, I'm glad I'm not the only person that finds achievements immersion breaking. The PS3 ones are slightly better but there should really be a way to just make them silent and invisible.
Just turn off Achievement notification in your profile and voila - no more pop ups ruining the mood.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Wow. I didn't know Achievement notification could be turned off, either. It's actually something I'd want to do on a per-game basis. God of War? Sure. Silent Hill? Not so much.

I've only recently been dragged, kicking and screaming, into the current-gen consoles.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Just turn off Achievement notification in your profile and voila - no more pop ups ruining the mood.
Well done Susan, you and your pony have revealed me to be a very silly man. Thanks though, now if I could only get the thing to run a little quieter, maybe I should wrap a towel around it.....

Shamus Young said:
Wow. I didn't know Achievement notification could be turned off, either. It's actually something I'd want to do on a per-game basis. God of War? Sure. Silent Hill? Not so much.

I've only recently been dragged, kicking and screaming, into the current-gen consoles.
Maybe developers should be given the option to set a default for the notifications? Like you say, some games it makes things better, others it can really spoil the atmosphere.

So what's Mr Young's opinion? Disappointed?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
So what's Mr Young's opinion? Disappointed?
To my surprise, I REALLY like Alex's story. I was really expecting another cardboard protagonist. Alex is an interesting fellow and I'm keen to see what's going on with his family.

On the downside, I hit a wall three hours in. Played for 40 mins, and died. Played the same 40 mins again. Died again. (I was in the hotel. I died in a fight against 3 nurses.)

With my work schedule the way it is, I'm way too busy to be throwing away blocks of time like that. I think I need to drop the game and move on.

Alas.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eagle Est1986 said:
Thanks though, now if I could only get the thing to run a little quieter, maybe I should wrap a towel around it.....
Copy the game to your hard drive (assuming you have the room to do so) and play from there. It's soooooo much nicer. I do that with all of my 360 games now.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Copy the game to your hard drive (assuming you have the room to do so) and play from there. It's soooooo much nicer. I do that with all of my 360 games now.
Have done it with Fallout 3 and I can't say there's been any difference at all. It seems to be a pointless exercise to myself, except it's a fairly good way to use up that spare 80GB of space that I had lying around.

Anyways, here's me taking up all of Shamus's comment space. Thanks again for the comic Shamus, see you Friday!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Really, you don't notice any noise difference between using the disc drive and not? Wow, you had one quiet drive, then.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Really, you don't notice any noise difference between using the disc drive and not? Wow, you had one quiet drive, then.
None at all, I guess the noise of the fans drowns it out. I remember my original 360 (now on Elite after the first one died) occasionally made some grinding noises credited to the disk drive but other than that I can't remember the drive being that noisey on that one either.
I'm starting to think that you're the one with the noisey disc drive.....

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
It's unusual, isn't it, that Shamus' sidebar commentary is somewhat *less* critical of the game than is the comic itself? Usually it goes the other way, at least according to my increasingly dim and unreliable memory.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I believe what he's saying is that it may be an entertaining game, but it's not silent hill..

haven't played it myself, but that was mr. croshaw's take and I suspect shamus is agreeing.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Wow. I was leaning towards buying the game and was gonna read some reviews about it (only saw the ZP till now) ... but ... quick time events? In Silent Hill? Seriously? I wanted to be fair and kind and had low expectations to begin with but now I hope they all get explosive diarrhea for not less then 4 months to parallel their shitty design decisions.