Stolen Pixels #5: Every Shade of Brown

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #5: Every Shade of Brown

In this episode of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young observes that nothing spices Guild Wars' dreary brown landscape like a hot chick in lace undies.

StingRay02

Jul 22, 2008
I'll admit to not getting very far into Guild Wars. However, the Guild Wars ladies definitely reaffirmed my game character philosophy. "If I get a choice of what kind of ass I'm going to be staring at for the duration of a game, it's going to be a good-looking ass." Never mind Age of Conan. Give me some Guild Wars booty.

JFargo

Jul 22, 2008
I signed up for an account to reply to this, because I'm peeved. You really didn't get far at all in Guild Wars: Prophecies, did you Shamus? Sure, the second beginning* in the game is very brown, but there comes a point not too far in that it becomes very WHITE, and I'm guessing that after that** it gets very RED, or very GREEN, or something else very MONOCHROMATIC.

So, come on, at least go with the RIGHT joke.

*Pre-searing.
**I haven't really gotten far either.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
StingRay02 said:
I'll admit to not getting very far into Guild Wars. However, the Guild Wars ladies definitely reaffirmed my game character philosophy. "If I get a choice of what kind of ass I'm going to be staring at for the duration of a game, it's going to be a good-looking ass." Never mind Age of Conan. Give me some Guild Wars booty.
So when you were a child you played with Barbies instead of G.I.Joes for this same reason?

Seriously, weakest argument/justification ever.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Gah, you're bashing all the games I like, damn you Shamus!

But at any rate, great comic. I'm disappointed at the accompanying text this time.
I suppose it's a rant on what Post-Searing Ascalon looks like, especially in contrast to Pre-Searing. The game sends you everywhere after that area: from snowy mountaintops, to an exotic 'paradise' gone wrong due to a religious cult, onward to a dense jungle, eventually reaching a desert. From there on you'll go back to some more snowy mountains, to finally travel to the Ring of Fire, which resembles an inferno.

Each chapter of the GW series does have a 'brown' area, though. Post-Searing in Prophecies, Kaineng City in Factions, and the Desolation in Nightfall. Eye of the North doesn't really feature brown environments, it just features caves (but not all of them brown!)

About the female character model rant: true, the female image in the game is over-the-top-beautiful, but meh. I'd rather have a character that looks great, than a Terry Schiavo-wannabe.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I knew people were going to complain that the game wasn't all brown.

I played for... eight? Ten hours? It was all brown. Then I found out the coming area was all white. I couldn't take anymore. I quit. I felt like I was working too hard for too little.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
ccesarano said:
StingRay02 said:
So when you were a child you played with Barbies instead of G.I.Joes for this same reason?

Seriously, weakest argument/justification ever.
I don't see the part where anyone was trying to justify anything to you. "I prefer X."

(In World of Warcraft characters: I have 7 females, 2 males.)

Thank you so much for informing someone that their personal tastes are incorrect. I'm sure those of us who like looking at female characters will make a point of changing our behavior so as to meet other player's exacting standards for manliness.

karln

Jul 22, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I played for... eight? Ten hours? It was all brown. Then I found out the coming area was all white. I couldn't take anymore. I quit. I felt like I was working too hard for too little.
If you'd said that in the original post I wouldn't mind, but what you actually said:
Shamus Young said:
Guild Wars (Prophesies campaign) is a detailed study in the color brown.
implied that you were talking about the entire campaign, which isn't really fair.

Yeah it was a poor decision to slap so much brown on the screen so early, and then to follow it up with the white mountains, but it's still not fair to claim the entire game is like that.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
"Guild Wars (Prophesies campaign) is a detailed study in the color brown, followed by a study in white, followed by some other stuff I couldn't be arsed to unlock because I was so bored."

Shrug. Either way, really.

JFargo

Jul 22, 2008
Actually, I think this would have been much funnier, and more true to the game. I know you don't like the game, but you're looked upon by many as a guy that knows what he's talking about, and so many people might see this and think that the full game really is brown, and nothing else, where that's not so true.

This rewritten complaint is much more true to life.

pseudoidiot

Jul 22, 2008
Ya know, it's pretty common for people in comedy to use exaggeration, especially when doing satire. I don't really see the problem. I've never played Guild Wars nor have I seen many screenshots, but I didn't come away from today's comic assuming that the entire game was brown.

A lot of jokes would be much less funny if they were less exaggerated and more realistic.

qrter

Jan 24, 2008
I'm carrying this over from your blog [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1777], seeing as I can't comment there and I HAVE TO COMMENT ON EVERYTHING!

"And while we're busy being all meta: In the previous strip strip on UT3, my original plan was to have CliffyB deliver the message. But I couldn't really find enough useable pictures of the guy. Plus, I was worried it might seem like a personal dig at him and not a dig at the game. So we got Mr. Stock Photo Guy. I think that worked better, humor-wise. It would have been less funny to have CliffyB claiming he was trying to be "hardcore", because the general consensus seems to be that he is."

Really? Who really thinks CliffyB is "hardcore"?

Who thinks anyone called CliffyB (eventhough we're not allowed to call him that anymore..) could ever be "hardcore"?

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
He's famous for having an aggressive, in-your-face style. In the sense that "hardcore" can mean "intense", I think it fits.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
"Yeah it was a poor decision to slap so much brown on the screen so early, and then to follow it up with the white mountains, but it's still not fair to claim the entire game is like that."

Well, it continues with green, then brownish red and then light brown, back to white and finally black.

Prophecies bored me too much to make me ever make me complete it, Nightfall is also slow, not as much, my favourite is Factions though, but I seem quite alone on that. You should really have tried out Factions Shamus! (This is really just my excuse, you probably wouldn't have liked it either).

Now the comic, complaining is not something I will do, I mean, making jokes on the bad points in a game I like? I have nothing against that, if you can't laugh at what you like, you are not qualified to laugh at what others like.

qrter

Jan 24, 2008
Shamus Young said:
He's famous for having an aggressive, in-your-face style. In the sense that "hardcore" can mean "intense", I think it fits.
Sounds like "hardcore" means "bit of a dick", then. ;)

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
qrter said:
Shamus Young said:
Sounds like "hardcore" means "bit of a dick", then. ;)
In general, the two often are highly interchangable. :p

Plactus

Jul 22, 2008
The thing that bugged me is that one of my favorite things about Guild Wars is the scenery. Shamus just happened to bog down in one of the few areas that aren't awesome, and it's supposed to be a depressing desolate wasteland.

Loneduck3

Jul 12, 2008
Aside from Ascalon, Post-Searing, the scenery was great when you could look at it and not look at a swarm of burrowing creatures that the NPC party members chase after, to our mutual destruction. Scenery doesn't bug me if it's a bit bland. The pointlessly winding nature of the scenery is frustrating. But I enjoyed it for what it was. Anyone who enjoys it, hats off to you.