Stolen Pixels #57: Life is Short, Terrain Hard

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #57: Life is Short, Terrain Hard

In Mass Effect, the shortest distance between two points is a complete pain in the ass.

Read Full Article

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
LoL! Joker was my favorite character in that game. And due to your dialogue options with him in the game, I'm really not surprised if he hates you. Most options seemed just short of replacing his name with Corporal Crippy.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Fire Daemon said:
There is a reason why he's called the Joker.

Want to know how he got those scars?
I'm guessing he got them by pissing off his last commander... who wasn't as forgiving as you are...

One thing I wish could be implemented into rpg:s is the premise that you could use phystical force as a means of intimidation. As it is now you either make some kind of threat (that rarely if ever sounds threatening when spoken by the voice actor) or shoot them in the head. There's no middle ground there.

Also, it'd be interesting if you could, you know, use the fact that you're waving a gun in someones face as a means of persuasion. As it is now the thugs just laugh and go "Even if you get a critical I still have enough HP to hide behind that pillar and heal!". :p

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Dectilon said:
Fire Daemon said:

I'm guessing he got them by pissing off his last commander... who wasn't as forgiving as you are...

One thing I wish could be implemented into rpg:s is the premise that you could use phystical force as a means of intimidation. As it is now you either make some kind of threat (that rarely if ever sounds threatening when spoken by the voice actor) or shoot them in the head. There's no middle ground there.

Also, it'd be interesting if you could, you know, use the fact that you're waving a gun in someones face as a means of persuasion. As it is now the thugs just laugh and go "Even if you get a critical I still have enough HP to hide behind that pillar and heal!". :p
In Neverwinter Nights 2, there was a situation where you had to convince a coward to fight in order to defend a town. You had the option of hitting him upside the head a couple of times until he agreed.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
It's funny how aweful Joker is at drops given how you open the final planetary mission.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Voiced by Seth Green wasn't he? Or am I making that up?
Yea, he was voiced by Seth Green. Some of those drops were pretty ridiculous.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
I think the "land me way the heck over there" syndrome was an effort to make you actually care about the geography of the randomly generated planets. It's a lot more fun to fight your way up some hilarious mountain and discover an enemy base than it is to hold forward for two minutes and solve an unlocking minigame. Unfortunately, there was much more of the latter than there was of the former.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Michael_McCloud said:
Dectilon said:
Fire Daemon said:

In Neverwinter Nights 2, there was a situation where you had to convince a coward to fight in order to defend a town. You had the option of hitting him upside the head a couple of times until he agreed.
Yes, and you HACK HIM UP WITH YOUR SWORDS! :( Hit pooooooints! :argh:

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
He didn't do *that* bad a job. You just have to time your jump right.

And jump hard enough to escape Lunar gravity (it's 1/6th earth)

And survive re-entry.

And not die when you land on the spire of New York New York's fake empire state building.

Tryss

Nov 5, 2008
It probably doesn't help that he's voiced by Seth Green and has some really wildly snide lines sometimes.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
My god i hated the Galaxy exploration in mass effect, all the planets were exactly the same and any itmes of interest were all on each far side of the map. Driving for 5 mins to disocver a probe you cant open does not make me feel like a rock hard bad ass commander.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
LaxLuster said:
LoL! Joker was my favorite character in that game. And due to your dialogue options with him in the game, I'm really not surprised if he hates you. Most options seemed just short of replacing his name with Corporal Crippy.
I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did. Thanks loads, LaxLuster, for making me a bad human being.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Graham said:
It's funny how aweful Joker is at drops given how you open the final planetary mission.
That just ****ing proves that he hates you, but instead of dropping you off in the wrong place, he does it in the right place just to piss you off.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Graham said:
That just ****ing proves that he hates you, but instead of dropping you off in the wrong place, he does it in the right place just to piss you off.
I suppose so...

What a jerk.