Stolen Pixels #59: Open to Interpretation

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #59: Open to Interpretation

On its surface, the story of Braid has something to do with a princess and regret. Look deeper and you'll also see a really sweet car.

Read Full Article

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
It's been said that the odd, inscrutable plot of Braid is "open to interpretation."
Not according to Blow it isn't. There is one meaning, and one meaning only, and if you derive something different than he intended, then you are wrong.

Just one of the many reasons I don't like him.

lebkin

Sep 12, 2007
nilcypher said:
Not according to Blow it isn't. There is one meaning, and one meaning only, and if you derive something different than he intended, then you are wrong.
I have never heard that. What is the one true meaning?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
lebkin said:
nilcypher said:
I have never heard that. What is the one true meaning?
I can't actually remember what he said it was, and largely don't care, what stuck with me was his attitude.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I read an interview with him at one point. He said there IS a meaning, and that some people emailed him and understood it, and that made him glad. But he didn't want to explain what it was or anything.

Yes, this is a strange attitude. It's either open to interpretation, or it means something. If it's the former, then open discussion should be welcomed without declaring people to be "wrong". If it's the latter, and people don't "get it", then you've failed to communicate your ideas and you're just wanking.

His Wikipedia page has some choice quotes about the need for designers to make more "ethical" games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Blow

I hope he hits it big. I could make a comic from just about everything that comes out of his mouth. He's just not famous enough for me to get away with it yet.

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
I'm having to infer what Braid is like, solely on the basis of this comic. [Processing, please wait ************* Ding!] Ha! That's pretty funny. :)

I've never seen Braid, yet I do find the comic amusing, so you must be doing something right!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I read an interview with him at one point. He said there IS a meaning, and that some people emailed him and understood it, and that made him glad. But he didn't want to explain what it was or anything.

Yes, this is a strange attitude. It's either open to interpretation, or it means something. If it's the former, then open discussion should be welcomed without declaring people to be "wrong". If it's the latter, and people don't "get it", then you've failed to communicate your ideas and you're just wanking.
Your right, it is kind of a weird approach to doing things, but on the other hand I can kind of understand it. After a while you would kind of get tired of people telling you what you work means or what message it is trying to get across as if it's fact when it's nowhere close to what you intended.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Jonathan Blow is the kind of indie game developer that I hope never makes it really big.

I can't stand him now; I don't know how I could stand him being even more successful than he is.

Mar 9, 2009
I love Braid, it's game play and writing, but this and the other braid one you did were so funny I crapped myself. Infinity out of infinity stars. I hope you keep making Stolen pixels. The whole series is awesome. Awesome Job. I cannot say that enough.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I heard that Braid was supposed to be one big metaphor/reference for the Atomic bomb or something, but I have only played the demo so I only caught on to a few things like the burning city and that "constellation".

Does Blow think I'm right?