Stolen Pixels #92: Crysis Demo, Part 1

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #92: Crysis Demo, Part 1

Not everyone has the kind of endurance it takes to play the Crysis demo.

Read Full Article

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's bad enough when it's the demo. When it's the ACTUAL RETAIL GAME? It makes me want to reach through the Internet and squeeze the throat of whatever marketing genius decided we need to be advertised to every time we start up their game.

Thank heavens for editable config files!

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
To add to the injury, I can't even skip the movie. My Crysis takes like 5 minutes to start. Needless to say it's collecting dust now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
You have obviously never player Warhammer Online.

At least a minute before you get through the ads, then more loading. Yeah, it doesn't load during the cutscenes...

CitizenMac

May 20, 2009
Huh. And here I was thinking of buying Crysis 'cause I found it with a 15? price tag. Getting second thoughts now.

badsectoracula

May 4, 2009
Crysis isn't the second coming, but its not a bad game either. If you won't be playing in 1min sessions, this shouldn't matter much.

Although these 'splashes' are annoying. I don't mind them telling me that they're proud of their engine or their connections with nvidia or intel or whatever, as long as they don't block my game. Why can't they put these somewhere in a menu background or something. You know: this pointless movie many games show at the left or right side of a game. Well replace it with another pointless movie that show your logos. I don't mind them, but i do mind looking a bunch of logos without the ability to proceed to the game.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Skipping with the spacebar is no excuse either.

All those POS videos should be skippable with ANY key or a mouse click, and then never played again unless you click in some "Intro" button in the menu.

Especially Crytek's. I have enough already listening to Cevat Yerli's deranged comments every 2 months.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I feel your pain.

If publishers don't revise their unskippable splash & ad screen policy, I'm going to die from a heart attack before I'm 30.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I feel your pain.

If publishers don't revise their unskippable splash & ad screen policy, I'm going to die from a heart attack before I'm 30.
I know, right?

Why do they bother trying to sell their game to us when we already have the game?

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
Unskippable splash screens are akin to showing advertisements before a movie. You're essentially a captive audience.

I absolutely hate both.

But at least your comic made me laugh about it. Good work, Shamus!

Leslee

Veloxyll

Apr 11, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
Tiamat666 said:
I feel your pain.

I know, right?

Why do they bother trying to sell their game to us when we already have the game?
To influence pirates to buy the game I guess! I would like to know why I can't press escape ONCE to skip the logos, then once more to skip the intros. (not counting movie style intros like Westwood tends to put in).

But, I've downloaded a demo: presumedly I know about the game a little and I want to try the it before I part with my money. LET ME SKIP THE INTRO, and don't give me "oh, you can skip with spacebar." I have other games that can occupy my time, I don't really feel like playing 20 questions with my keyboard to skip some adverts, either any key skips, or the escape key, those are your choices.

Or even worse, I've parted with $110 of my skinny Australian Dollars, spent 20 minutes INSTALLING THE DAMN THING, and now, every time I get the urge to open the game, it spends 2 minutes telling me who made it. I do not care who made it. When I click my NWN2 button, it is not because I want to see the ad for Bioware, it is because I want to...play NWN2. I in fact, paid $90 (+~$100 in expansions) for the privilege of playing NWN2, not watch ads!
Your game does not load instantly though, that's fine. this means you can put in a splash screen with the game title with all the developers and sponsors logos arrayed around it. This gets me playing quicker, and still gets your logos in my face WITHOUT making me RAGE.

Ahem.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Remember when Commander Keen had splash screens telling you to upgrade? The demo would tell you that Episode 3 had "SMOOTH SCROLLING 256 COLOR GRAPHICS" which was pretty sweet at the time.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Has anyone seen anyone other than EA pull this shit? I've noticed it in Battlefield 1942 and Mirror's Edge, too. It makes me feel like they just don't value my time. Fortunately, as someone mentioned, you can usually do a small hack to get rid of it. In BF1942, there was a flag you could add to the game shortcut to make it skip. It's still ridiculous though.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
That's longer than it takes to reboot my computer
Well then you obviously don't have vista, I could go grocery shopping during the start up loading times.
That's odd. I have Vista, and my PC gets to the point where I'm browsing the internet in around 45 seconds from initial power-button pressing. And I have quite a few of programs that run at startup.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
oneplus999 said:
Has anyone seen anyone other than EA pull this shit? I've noticed it in Battlefield 1942 and Mirror's Edge, too. It makes me feel like they just don't value my time. Fortunately, as someone mentioned, you can usually do a small hack to get rid of it. In BF1942, there was a flag you could add to the game shortcut to make it skip. It's still ridiculous though.
I think you can do that with all games. -intro I think?