Stolen Pixels #92: Crysis Demo, Part 1

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Those splash screens are easily removed with a "fix" that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
You sheltered person. The microwave I got stuck with for over a year at my new place took 5 minutes for one refrigerated burrito, and sometimes longer if it felt like procrastinating.
That's not boot time, that's processing time. But (on some microwaves) the boot time does include setting the clock...

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Mistwraithe said:
Liverandbacon said:
That's odd. I have Vista, and my PC gets to the point where I'm browsing the internet in around 45 seconds from initial power-button pressing. And I have quite a few of programs that run at startup.
Is that a full boot or just start up from Hibernate?

Start up from Hibernate is quite snappy and by default the button on the Start menu which looks like a power button actually hibernates your machine.

However doing a full boot is like waiting for the second coming...
From a full boot, with Vista, takes about 40 seconds for me. I keep my startup completely clean of everything but a virus scanner. I hate to say it, but with well over a decade of experience fixing computers for people, I find that problems like this are almost always a user error.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
AC10 said:
Why don't you do a thing on how long it takes to quit from assassin's creed on the PC? That was quite insane:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM
The fact that the game took so long to quit is definitely one of the primary reasons I never finished that game. It felt like a chore.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
What false whining. It takes five times as long for me to open Counter Strike Source, let alone load up a server.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Not to mention that when you create a new game, they show you that fancy way of using the nano suit. fuck that annoyed the hell out of me.
Also, microwaves, while off topic, TAKE FOR FUCKING EVER! Not only because I sit there waiting for it to cook that thing for the final fucking 30 seconds, which I swear take longer than the whole 5 minutes preceding it.
On the topic of boot times, Solid State Drives, make friends with them. If you want fast boot times that is. Me? I'm too cheap for that, so I got get something to drink or eat, whilst booting.
Which perhaps, explains my size. :x

BoyParka

May 5, 2009
Intro movies and ads definitely get old really quickly, but honestly, I cannot think of any games where a quick tap of ESC-SPACE-ENTER-mouse-click did not get me past the intro sequence. I am sure there were some, but Crysis is not one of them. To me that key-combo is as ingrained as Ctrl-Alt-Del. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is hardly something that gets my blood boiling. And I am quite an angry person (or so my friends tell me).

As for the Vista comments: I am not one of those people who denies issues just because he does not happen to suffer from them, but I will agree a lot of the Vista bashing is just that. Vista's is far from bad, both from a gaming/home use perspective as a professional one.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
I just delete/rename/replace with 0b/... the bik files and that's that.

kato128

Mar 23, 2009
Yeah those unskippable ads suck hardcore. I always find its the stuff from ubisoft that tends to lock you into watching it.

Also what's with the space, enter, esc, mouse click thing? I recall that the esc key was exclusively used to skip things like this till fairly recently. So why the sudden shift to any other random key?

I reckon it's a cunning marketing ploy where they're thinking "Well we still let em skip it so they can't complain about em being unskippable. But if they can't find the key they still have to watch. The captive audience dollar is a big dollar...".

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
kato128 said:
I reckon it's a cunning marketing ploy where they're thinking "Well we still let em skip it so they can't complain about em being unskippable. But if they can't find the key they still have to watch.
I strongly suspect this is true. And evil.