Storage capacity of modern consoles question

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
OK this is more of a "what are they thinking"?!?!? Question honestly. I know that many have gone on about how the current next gen of consoles is underpowered and bordering obscolete from the point of release for things like not being able to hit current video standards and no looking forward to 4k. They barely meet todays standards and don't have enough oomph to last 10 years like the last batch.

But I think there is a bigger issue. At least until or unless Sony gets their streaming service as a viable option. Storage capacity. I am just looking at my trust PS3. One of the 2nd generation. When I first got it I was not happy with the limited hard drive so I swapped it for a 500Gb one. works perfectly. Larger capacity than the production models. I believe the new consoles are no more than 500 correct? I keep no music or video on the console. I limit save games to save space. I do not buy games digitally, but I am a PSN subscriber and have been since its inception. So I do routinely grab the offered games. I'm out of space. I have no place to archive off the games I have. No real way to manage them, and by todays standards a 500 Gb drive is frighteningly little space.

If they want to encourage us to move to a digital delivery model why do they not provide the space we need to do so? It seems kind of intuitive, no? Or am I missing some major piece of the equation?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Well the primary issue is that there's a cost issue on the hardware makers for how much to supply for each console. Higher HDD capacity results in higher purchase cost. Given that they often try to sell the hardware at a loss to make up in the game sales, they have an incentive to make it as cheap as possible.

At the same time, I believe you can hook up a USB external HDD for the console to make use of for storage. If one was clever, you could look at hooking up some honking big RAID or NAS to the console via USB. ;D