Storms of Steel and Diesel - A Mad Maxian RP (Started; PM if Interested)

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
"But the visible veins seem t' be doing well. And the iris and pupil looks good, reactive and no inflammation. No blood. Does it hurt or sting when you try t' focus on something? How about blinking or moving your eye? Does the area around it feel numb?"

This lad's pretty good at his profession, thought Eddie as Cor inspected his eye. In his years as a Warpup, other than first aid and basic wound treatment, advanced treatment fell on the Therapy dogs. And amongst those, none were quite as effective as Surehands. The old man was a machine; after battle it wasn't a question of if Surehands would fix you up, but when. His expertise had saved Eddie more times than he probably deserved.

Cor's thoroughness brought memories of Surehands back; stitching up open wounds, anesthetizing before an operation, and, of course, the regular rant against using dogfood. One would recon that it'd be a good idea taking the advice of the man that's saved your life more times than you can count, but Eddie was young and foolish back then. Now he was just the latter.

"It feels a little sore when I move it, but otherwise it doesn't bugger me." Which, as he was taught ages ago meant that the possibilities of infection were low. He already thought -and hoped- that it was nothing, but he wanted a second opinion, and given Cor's more than competent description of his eye his doubts extinguished. At around that moment the wagon slowed down and came to a halt. "Looks like we've arrived." Or we're about to be ambushed.

"Thanks fer checkin' on my eye" he said as he got up, smiling, "I owe ya one. If ye need anything while me and Rasp's still around, ye can count on us." And got off the wagon, "I'll check how things look in the front real quick. Lemme know if ye need help with our injured."

---

This particular settlement was neither one of the bigger or the smaller ones Eddie had the chance to encounter. Which was all the worse for them, because raiders liked these kinda towns: Not too small to be worth it, not big enough to deter all but the biggests gangs from attacking. Still, given the rather polite -all things considered- welcome they were receiving, it looked like its people were doing well. Or, at the very least, knew how to make it look so.

Eddie walked to the front and stood next to Rasp. The sheriff left them with his deputy, who looked less than pleased to have them around. Crossing his arms, he looked Rasp in the eyes and gave her a small nod, advising caution. There was always more to things than what was apparent, and caution saves more lives than luck could ever aspire to. He stood in the back, silent, waiting for the others to ask their questions and speak their peace first. Now was not the time for initiative, and listening to the rest hopefully help him understand them better.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"It feels a little sore when I move it, but otherwise it doesn't bugger me."

"That sounds good, a little soreness is t' be expected. I'd be more worried if it didn't hurt, if just a little," Cor replied, making sure there wasn't anything hiding in a nook or behind the eyelid. He knew that giving false promises could be dangerous, and though he liked reassuring his patients, it was difficult to know how far to go sometimes.

His eye is fine, though.

"Looks good, no visible damage. Do let me know if the condition suddenly changes, but I doubt it will."

"Looks like we've arrived. Thanks fer checkin' on my eye. I owe ya one. If ye need anything while me and Rasp's still around, ye can count on us. I'll check how things look in the front real quick. Lemme know if ye need help with our injured."

"No problem," Cor said, smiling a little. "It is my heritage and purpose of life, but appreciation is always pleasant. And I will let you know." He always did like being thanked, even if it should be enough to see someone feel better. There was something about a "thank you" that made it feel as if people took his work seriously, rather than just consider it some insignificant detail, or made him feel like an object simply meant to make people well again.

I wonder if dad would think of me as selfish, had he known how I felt about it.

Nonethless, they were there now, and his attention was quickly grabbed by the men outside the wag, greeting them. It seemed like they were not to be turned away, but they weren't exactly welcome either, being told to get out of there when they had the means of doing so.

We need to rest. Quietly.

Cor didn't really sleep that well when the wags was driving. Oddly enough, he had never had an issue falling asleep on the bikes, it was simply the wags that kept him from sleeping. As the old man walked away, Cor wondered if this was going to be their chance to ask. Perhaps the young man was more lenient, or simply could be reasoned with.

"Okay. You heard him. Try to keep things quiet. Do what you need to to get back on the road, then do just that. Sound good?"

"Is resting included in that?" Cor said, as he stepped out of the wag. "We have injuries and have been through a lot, and certainly don't want to cause any trouble. Be it just a couple of hours or the entire night, being able t' sleep soundly for a little while would make a huge difference. I am a healer, a medicus, if you let us stay t' rest, I could help anyone sick or injured while we're here." He knew that the other was unlikely to let them, but he had to ask.

Of course, him accepting my help would mean that I don't get any sleep.

However, it was more important to think of those who needed the rest the most.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"Okay. You heard him. Try to keep things quiet. Do what you need to, to get back on the road, then do just that. Sound good?"

?No doin? law dog.? Izzy replied as she climbed onto the roof of the wag. Opening the top cover of the mounted gun, she pulled the fist-full of remaining ammo free and dropped it into a pocket; pulling the scarf and goggles free from her face, she stretched, relishing in the feeling of the stretch.

"Is resting included in that? We have injuries and have been through a lot, and certainly don't want to cause any trouble. Be it just a couple of hours or the entire night, being able t' sleep soundly for a little while would make a huge difference. I am a healer, a medicus, if you let us stay t' rest, I could help anyone sick or injured while we're here."

Looking back at Cor she smiled, before returning her attention to Henry. ?Izzy tired, thirsty and hungy.? She dropped down on to the hood of the wag with a ?bang?, and then a ?thud? as she reached the ground proper. ?An? dis wag a clapped out heap?we?d all be back walk?n in a day or two anyways.? Reaching back into the wag, she dug her pack out from where she?d stashed it for the ride away from the crash site. Old words from The Trader came back to her as she began to walk towards Henery, and the ville proper. ?You play square with the villes, they?ll generally do the same. Nothin? kills a convoy faster than villes that close their gates?

Favouring Henry with a tired smile, she sighed a bit. ?Like Cor said, we want no fuss?Izzy know villes make enough of that wit?out outsiders, but we need dis. If you let Izzy an? rest stay a bit, we c?n tell ya where a wrecked pigrig is.? She said, gesturing in the general direction they?d come from. ?Izzy not t?ink it a runner unless yuz gotta blackfinger tha's majik, but shuld have sum salvage.?

With that, she walked past Henry, making a b-line for the Trader. Stepping thought the door of the trading post, she headed straight for the counter. ?Gotta bit a? salvage an? sum ammo. You got any of these?? She asked placing a .38 round on the counter. ?Izzy a ?blackfinger? too?if?n yer interested.?

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011

The rest of the drive went surprisingly smoothly, since the ambush on the road that Rasp had feared never came. And when Aquila pointed out the town ahead, specifically the watchtower, the tribal woman merely responded with an affirmative grunt. As far as she was concerned, so long as the locals weren't slavers, Rasp saw no point in causing any trouble.

So when she spotted the two figures just on the outskirts of the town, Rasp stopped the truck and nodded to Aquila. But she didn't kill the engine, not yet. It was the older of the two that spoke up first.

"Welcome to Divot, I'm Noel Haggerd. Sheriff of these parts. This here's my Deputy, Henry Hersch. Now, we're a peaceful town. And we ain't afraid to keep it that way. If you catch my meanin'. We ain't averse to tradin'-post is in the center-a town. I ask that you take care of your business quickly and be on your way. Hersch here will accomp'ny you while your here. Have any questions, just ask the Deputy."

It wasn't a particularly surprising spiel, especially given the wreck they were driving up in. Though she had to wonder if they were... "acquainted" with the snatchers that captured the lot of them. Something to keep in mind, she thought as she gazed blandly at the Deputy. While the rest of the former prisoners piled out of the back of the trailer, the young girl leaped out of the gunner seat, and Aquila stepped out, Rasp hesitated for just a moment before shrugging and turning off the engine.

She was joined shortly by Eddie when she dropped down from the cab, crossing his arms and giving her a short nod. Knowing they were possibly wondering the same thing, she returned the nod and glanced back at the others. Best to be cautious. After all, this was hardly the first town they've come across out here in the desert, and she was determined that it wouldn't be the last.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
"Is resting included in that?" Cor said, as he stepped out of the wag. "We have injuries and have been through a lot, and certainly don't want to cause any trouble. Be it just a couple of hours or the entire night, being able t' sleep soundly for a little while would make a huge difference. I am a healer, a medicus, if you let us stay t' rest, I could help anyone sick or injured while we're here."

"Sorry, mate," the Deputy said to Cor with a shake of his head. "Sheriff said to make it quick, I'm not gonna be the one to turn that around. Even if ya are a stitcha. Ya wanna see 'bout restin', ya take it up with him." He pointed toward a small shack with a seven-pointed star branded into the tin wall. "He ain't exactly known for changin' his mind. Can't say how much luck ya'll have there."

"Izzy tired, thirsty and hungy." She dropped down on to the hood of the wag with a 'bang', and then a 'thud' as she reached the ground proper. "An' dis wag a clapped out heap...we'd all be back walk'n in a day or two anyways. Like Cor said, we want no fuss...Izzy know villes make enough of that wit'out outsiders, but we need dis. If you let Izzy an' rest stay a bit, we c'n tell ya where a wrecked pigrig is." She said, gesturing in the general direction they'd come from. "Izzy not t'ink it a runner unless yuz gotta blackfinger tha's majik, but shuld have sum salvage."

"Ain't my place to bargain what the Sheriff says, so 'less he says otherwise, best ya make ya business quick!" Henry called after her. Henry was never particularly fond of kids. And Izzy's insistence wasn't making her an exception. The deputy looked over the others. They didn't seem to be talkers. He couldn't help but think it unnerving, but at least they weren't looking for trouble. "If ya lookin' to buy or sell, just follow the girl. There's some good tuck and even water. We have a garage if ya need repairs."

Inside the trading post a middle-aged man with a short but thick beard was fixated on the tattered bundle of pages he was reading. The color of his equally short hair could've been brown or black, but it was hard to tell in the dim light. There were only a few factory lights hanging from the ceiling. They were powered by a generator just out back, its hum muffled by the corrugated wall. The man was so transfixed he hadn't even noticed when the adolescent girl walked into the shop.

"Gotta bit a' salvage an' sum ammo. You got any of these?" Izzy asked, placing a .38 round on the counter. "Izzy a 'blackfinger' too...if'n yer interested."

The man looked up from the makeshift book in surprise and and offered a smile once he realized she was here to trade. He picked up the .38 and looked it over. "We've got a few. Any type you lookin' fer especially? O' course this all comes down to what you have to offer. What kinda salvage we talkin'?"

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"We've got a few. Any type you lookin' fer especially? O' course this all comes down to what you have to offer. What kinda salvage we talkin'?"

Nimble, grease-stained fingers plucked the pistol bullet from the trader?s hand. ?Izzy no need anything special; jus? needs ta go bang when Izzy pull trigger, an? make Wasters bleed.? Retuning the bullet to her spare ammo pile, she then extracted one of the round from the machine gum belt. ?Izzy gots a few a deez?an? da wag th? blaster that uses ?em is on.? Leaving the machine gun round on the counter, she rummaged in her pack and pulled out a few odds and ends; a couple of spark plugs, various small springs, the magazine from a .32 calibre auto-loader, the spent .38 casings from earlier and a small pocket knife.

?Trader always tol? Izzy ta deal fair in villes, so Izzy gotta say da wag a piece a? shit; but it gots sum petro an? oyl in the moto an? it runs an? moves, so youz meb? can salvage bits from it.? Suddenly, she was struck with a flash of inspiration. ?In a ville like dis, a trader like you gots sum pull right? If?n you c?n talk de law dogs in ta let?n us stay a bit an? rest up, Izzy tell you where da pigrig we wuz is crashed. Dunnos who?s is was, but frum wat Izzy see uv it der still a fair bit a petro an? oyl in ?er. Meb? even still a runner?need a rig to tip ?er over tho.?

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Yamano, Spirit of the Hunt. May fortune find me, and my arrows fly true this day." Spoke Katsu as she finished her prayer; as was customary for people of The Sarai Confederacy to pray at least once a week to the spirits that formed part of to a clan's particular culture, though during certain occasions may require it to be on a more frequent basis. In total there were three spirits that the Ishimura Clan had to pray to. Yamano, Hachiman, who was the spirit of archers, and finally Tsukuyo, spirit of the night. There was no exact order as to which spirit was prayed to first.

As Katsu got up from her prayer stance [http://media.wiley.com/assets/6/99/0-7645-5116-7_0703.jpg], she walked up to the window of the third floor room was she staying in whilst at Divot and watched as the small settlement went about it's day. Most of it had been the same since her arrival here about three days ago, but when her eyes glanced over at the entrance, the sight of a functional vehicle and it's occupants caught her attention.

"I guess the spirits were listening." She said with a smirk after taking a sip of water from her canteen. This could be her opportunity to leave this little dust-bowl and carry on with her journey, and more importantly, her mission. After equipping herself she headed downstairs and onto the street. Approaching the vehicle, Katsu could see that it was a moderately sized group of people, it looked as though some were arguing with the deputy; though she was concerned for the young girl who was heading off by herself and towards the trading post. Divot may be a small settlement, but it still had its fair share of creeps.

"...There's some good tuck and even water. We have a garage if ya need repairs."

"He has a point there, the inn just down the road is adequate enough, though I would be concerned for the safety of that young girl I saw that was with you lot." Katsu said as she got into speaking range.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"Sorry, mate, Sheriff said to make it quick, I'm not gonna be the one to turn that around. Even if ya are a stitcha. Ya wanna see 'bout restin', ya take it up with him. He ain't exactly known for changin' his mind. Can't say how much luck ya'll have there."

"What's the point of allowing people inside if you're going t' shove them right back out?" Cor asked, more than a little annoyed. The settlement he had lived at simply didn't tend to open their doors -it happened very rarely-, but when they first did they'd at least allow someone to stay a night or two.

I understand the risk, but the injured should come before your insecurities regarding your ability t' protect the people here. Buy a bigger gun, it you feel it'd help compensate.

He thought to himself and rubbed his forehead. Perhaps he was overreacting, but he had always been taught the best rest was done safely on the ground, with no motors and moving. Besides, this was a matter of principle, and though he knew he was forced to tolerate such a strict decision, he certainly was not going to meet the hostility with a smile. Smiling was saved for patients and people he got along with.

"Ain't my place to bargain what the Sheriff says, so 'less he says otherwise, best ya make ya business quick! If ya lookin' to buy or sell, just follow the girl. There's some good tuck and even water. We have a garage if ya need repairs."

"Sure, sure," Cor replied, ready to step away. "Suit yourselves." With that, he looked towards the direction Izzy had gone in. He didn't like how she gone ahead, as he had wanted to try to plan something out, both regarding keeping an eye on their stuff and on what they actually needed. Cor was just about leaving, when a woman with a water bottle suddenly spoke her mind.

"He has a point there, the inn just down the road is adequate enough, though I would be concerned for the safety of that young girl I saw that was with you lot."

"Food is important too," Cor remarked courtly. "But if you didn't pay attention before jumping into someone's conversation; we're not given the time t' rest. That's the issue. I wasn't asking for a bed or for someone t' make us feel at home, I asked for the chance t' rest off the road for a night. Hardly unreasonable. Anyhow, it's done with, I'm not gonna make a fuss." With that, he motioned for the others to assign someone amongst themselves to keep an eye on the wag and the injured man, before heading after Izzy.

Finding her was easy enough, inside a dimly lit place. She was trying to make a deal, given her words. Rather than interrupt her and try to take control, Cor simply motioned to the tradesman that he was with Izzy, and let her speak. She had done more haggling than he had, that much had been clear from the first time he had seen her do it, and she seemed to be onto something.

I don't really have much hope in this place, though.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"But if you didn't pay attention before jumping into someone's conversation; we're not given the time t' rest. That's the issue. I wasn't asking for a bed or for someone t' make us feel at home, I asked for the chance t' rest off the road for a night. Hardly unreasonable. Anyhow, it's done with, I'm not gonna make a fuss." Spoke the man in the white coat in a perturbed manner before he set off in the direction of the trading post.

"Well that could have gone better." Katsu said to herself before turning back to the others.

"Apologies for my intrusion everyone. When I saw your vehicle enter town, I, like no doubt the sheriff and his deputy here; was somewhat curious as to who it belonged to. I mean, not everyday that a raider vehicle enters a settlement area with little to no problems. I am intrigued as to how you came into the possession of it."

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
At the back and watching the discussion unfold, two things quickly became evidently clear to Eddie: One, the discussion was going nowhere. Two, the reason for that was that the deputy was the kind of man to follow orders but not think. Men like that made for good troops, provided they had the bravery -or stupidity- to march into battle, but did not have the stones to be leaders. One of the qualities a leader should have is initiative, and he thouroughly lacked it.

Which in this case was a very bad thing. As a deputy, he was one day expected to take the mantle of sheriff and expected to lead. Eddie wondered whether he was given the position in hopes he'd learn -in which case, Eddie was sad to say, it wasn't working as planned-, out of sentimental reasons such as nepotism -in which case, the town would face hard times- or was just the best kid the town had to offer -in which case, he'd wager it wouldn't stay a town for long-.

Whatever the case, the time for observation was quickly coming to an end. With Cor having said his fill and leaving, and the new additon making her presense known, a plan of action was quickly forming in the old dog's head. If the deputy couldn't be reasoned with, then Eddie would have to roll the dice with the sheriff. But if can I make the dice loaded...

"Rasp," he said as he turned to her, and tapped under his eye twice with a finger. It was time for the old routine again.

"Well then. I guess it just can't be helped," he said as he turned to the deputy, bitter smile formed round his cheeks, "Me and my boy'll make sure to conclude out business as soon as possible!" he nodded dumbly, and started walking towards the apologising newcomer. "You there, young lass," he beckoned to her with a wave of his hand, "do this old man a favour and show me 'round town, eh?" he pointed at his swollen eye, "I'm afraid my sight isn't quite as it used to be." A lie; though one of his eyes was swollen, his eyes were still sharp, and he could see clearly with the other one. Clearly enough to notice something off with this woman. Something familiar, even? He wasn't quite sure. "After all, we wouldn't want to outgrow our welcome, eh deputy?" and grinned like an idiot. Always look the fool.

"Hope's I'm not inconveniencing ye with my request, lass." he said as he turned to her yet again, "Name's Eddie, and the boy behind me's Rasp." he scratched his bearded cheek, "Thought it polite to mention. Introductions always come first, ye?"

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
"Well then. I guess it just can't be helped," Said the elder gentleman who happened to have rather a swollen eye. "Me and my boy'll make sure to conclude out business as soon as possible!" Having a look at the younger of the pair, something about them, didn't seem quite right to Katsu; but she couldn't give precise reason as to what. Was it the way they looked? They way they acted? Or the colour of their hair?

Such questions would have to go unanswered for now, as the elder gentleman approached her. "You there, young lass," He gestured towards him with a wave of his hand. She carefully approached. "do this old man a favour and show me 'round town, eh?" He then pointed to his swollen eye. "I'm afraid my sight isn't quite as it used to be." Katsu had a look at his other eye, it appeared to be functional enough, not as badly beaten as his swollen eye. "After all, we wouldn't want to outgrow our welcome, eh deputy?" He asked with the biggest smug looking grin Katsu had seen in a while.

"Hope's I'm not inconveniencing ye with my request, lass." He said, looking back towards Katsu. "Name's Eddie, and the boy behind me's Rasp. Thought it polite to mention. Introductions always come first, ye?"

"Katsu. And no, no trouble at all; though I will admit, my knowledge of this settlement may not be as in-depth as one of the locals here, as I have only been in town for a couple of days." Katsu then had another look at this Rasp that was standing behind Eddie. They looked to be completely topless, their modesty being protected by what looked like body paint that had partially flaked off, revealing a somewhat svelte body underneath. This mystery was getting stranger.

"So, shall we begin?"

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011

She supposed that it was largely a matter of ingrained habit at that point that had her sticking to Eddies side. Of course, that wasn't discounting the fact that she was still a little worried about him: He was still pretty badly beaten, after all. Even knowing he likely had to deal with worse didn't stop her from feeling concerned.

So, when they were joined by another local, this time a woman that couldn't have been much older than her, she raised an eyebrow. This town must not get many visitors for them to garner this much attention, though she supposed that they were unusual enough to warrant it. It still struck her as odd, regardless.

"Rasp."

The Buzzard turned to her older companion as he tapped a finger beneath his eye twice, and the corner of her mouth twitched upward. While he did his "harmless old man" routine and did all the talking, it was time for her to keep an eye out.

As he made a beeline for the local woman, the tribal took a subtle survey of the towns surroundings. At first glance, it all looked perfectly normal: Trading post, garage, a few warehouses, all small and reasonably well-built to her eye. Then again, just because something looked normal at first glance didn't mean anything.

And it seemed that the local woman realized that there was something off about her after first glance at that, given the look she gave her as they approached.

"You there, young lass, do this old man a favour and show me 'round town, eh? I'm afraid my sight isn't quite as it used to be."

It was a smooth lie, and Rasp merely feigned a long-suffering sigh to help prove his point.

"Hope's I'm not inconveniencing ye with my request, lass. Name's Eddie, and the boy behind me's Rasp. Thought it polite to mention. Introductions always come first, ye?"

Rasp grunted quietly in affirmation. The woman, however, merely looked at her with a combination of what Rasp could only figure was curiosity and suspicion.

"Katsu. And no, no trouble at all; though I will admit, my knowledge of this settlement may not be as in-depth as one of the locals here, as I have only been in town for a couple of days. So, shall we begin?"

With a nod, the Buzzard crossed her arms over her chest and fell in behind Eddie, pausing only long enough to spare a backward glance at the rest of their group as well as the deputy.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Aquila caught Cor's motion and gave a quick nod. "Right, I'll keep an eye on the wagon as well as the big, quiet, brooding one." She glanced briefly at the one that spoke even less than Rasp. "And uh, the small, quiet, brooding one, too." She looked at the large man's bandages and couldn't help but feel some pity for him. He looked like he could use some decent rest.

She sat with her back against the dashboard with her legs crossed and arms folded. The big guy was parked firmly on the bench seat, just as he was the way there. He was still trying to get some movement of his fingers. There was very little.

"'Pigrig', huh?" The trader mused, mindlessly sorting the assortment of oddments the girl put on the counter. "Well, s'pose knowin' the where'bouts oughtta save our runnas some time lookin' fer scrap," He thought aloud. He looked from the spark plugs to the magazine, then to the springs. He sat back in his chair and crossed his arms, taking a bit of time to ponder.

About that time, Cor had walked into the post and stood by Izzy. The trader offered a smile and a nod. Then he looked behind him toward one of the wooden crates. He withdrew a few cardboard sleeves, opening them on the counter to reveal several rows of .38s in two of them and an empty third.

"Tell ya what," he said, quickly dropping cartridges into the empty sleeve. "I'll give ya twelve standard rounds'n six of these pluses; those ones pack a wallop. All fer these spark plugs'n the mag. Fer directions to this rig, I'll see 'bout puttin' a bug in the ol' Sheriff's ear. Throw in that blasta I'll even see to it ya get some decent parts to fix up ya ute. Or wag, as ya said. Howzat?"

The trio outside the wagon, when moving through the town, would find very little going on outside of the shanty abodes. Most of the windows were shuttered. The ones that weren't had no apparent signs that they were occupied. It was about as quiet as one might expect for such a small town. Perhaps even more so.

Apart from the warehouses and the Sheriff's shack, there weren't very many outstanding structures. Although there was a patch of land that was notably lacking a building. It was a fenced-in area with rows of evenly-set stakes in the dirt. It was very clear that it was a graveyard, however the stakes were far too close to suggest there were any bodies beneath them.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Movement in the corner of her eye caught Izzy's attention, and she turned towards the movement slightly, trying to keep most of her attention on the Trader. Realizing it was Cor approaching her, she smiled and gave him a small wave.

"Tell ya what, I'll give ya twelve standard rounds'n six of these pluses; those ones pack a wallop. All fer these spark plugs'n the mag. Fer directions to this rig, I'll see 'bout puttin' a bug in the ol' Sheriff's ear. Throw in that blasta I'll even see to it ya get some decent parts to fix up ya ute. Or wag, as ya said. Howzat?"

Izzy beamed at the trader, and grasped his hand with a surprisingly strong handshake for someone her size. "Shiny!" She exclaimed. Sweeping the ammo, and the items the Trader didn't want, into her bag, she then rummaged about in it until she came out with a small piece of dirty cloth wrapped around a nub of charcoal.

"We may gets ta stay a bit!' She beamed as she rushed past Cor towards the outside. Stepping into the light, she looked up at the sun, then at the shadows being cast around her and then at the horizon she could see through the entrance to the ville. After another moment or two of looking about, she came back inside and grabbed a book that was sitting on the counter. Charcoal in on hand, she opened the book, turning to a blank page at the back. "S'rry." She said as she ripped the page out. "Need ta draw."

Bending to her work, she began to sketch a crude map, muttering to herself and scribbling notes in the corners as she went. Ten minutes and some muttered profanity later, she looked up and slid the now quite grubby bit of paper across the desk. "Der, dat shuld gets ya tu th' wreck." She said, carefully stashing the charcoal. "While you an' yers lay the sweet on the lawdogs, Izzy gonna get sum grub an' a nap. After Izzy rest she?ll see t' yer blaster."

Nodding to the Trader, Izzy beckoned to Cor. "C'mon Cor, Izzy needs a drink!"

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Cor felt a little amazed as he heard the offer Izzy had managed to conjure up. While he would certainly preferred to get rid of the "ifs" in the deal, it was still far more than he would be able to do. Cor only knew how to value help and things he needed, items like guns or parts or bullets made him confused, and the thought of directing the trader to a wag that had been left behind in the desert was something he would not have thought of. Perhaps it was because he didn't really think about those kinds of things.

I always just get Izzy t' take care of it. Perhaps it's time t' try to learn how to do it.

"We may gets ta stay a bit!"

"I heard," he replied, though before he could give any word of praise she was already out the door. With a sort of awkward expression, he looked towards the door, then towards the trader. "Uhm, you wouldn't happen t' have some thread, right? Or perhaps some fishin' line?"

But what can I affor' t' trade for it?

What would be enough? The settlement he had stayed with dealt everything out so that they had what they needed, and he only knew how to offer his medical services. Sure, his mother had done a lot of trading and occasionally told him to do it, but then he had been given the items to trade away, and what he needed to get. Cor then shook his head. "No, nevermind, I have some. Oh, and I'm sure she'll be back soon, if you were worried about that. She'd tell me t' leave if not."

And I'll ask Izzy t' teach me later.

It was in times like this that he was forced to admit that he was used to relying on others as well.

I can't expect Izzy to stay around forever either. Yeah, I definitely need t' get a crash course.

"C'mon Cor, Izzy needs a drink!"

Cor's train of thought derailed as Izzy spoke to him, and he nodded. He wondered what exactly she intended as a drink, but decided to simply follow her instead. "Okay," Cor replied, looking back to the trader with a modest expression. "Please do talk t' the sheriff," he told the man, before following Izzy outside.

"So, do you think we have a shot at staying?" he asked her. "That pair of sheriff and deputy seems like a determined couple."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"So, do you think we have a shot at staying? That pair of sheriff and deputy seems like a determined couple."

?T?ink so.? Izzy replied, pulling her scarf up and her goggles down against the outdoors. ?Li?l villes lik dis live ?r die on trade, so Traders gots pull? ?specially if dez da only one; an? most lawdogs in villes like dis are lik dat?gotta be or ya ded.? Actually Izzy?d been surprised by the almost warm welcome they?d received; nobody had even leveled a weapon at them, which was usually the case she?d found, even when she?d been travelling alone she generally found herself at gun point if she arrived at a ?new? ville.

Marching across the dusty main ?road?, she headed straight for an organized collection of dead vehicles and tarps that was Divot?s saloon. ?Les go!? She chirped as she stepped through the saloons entrance. Most of the locals turned and looked at them, but that was to be expected; newcomers to a ville always drew attention. Ignoring the looks, she made her way over to the simple bar and the proprietor behind it.

?Hey ya!? She grinned, revealing her face. ?Izzy need eats, agua, sumthin? with sum kick an? beds fer two.? She added indicating to both her and Cor. Reaching into her bag she pulled out the loose rifle round she?d showed the Trader, and swept back into her back earlier, and set it in front of the barman. ?How many a dez fer all dat??

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Katsu, Eddie, and Rasp

For the three that walked around Divot, it was largely uneventful, save for some odd glances that were given their way by the few townsfolk that they could see. Out of the trio, only Katsu and Eddie really talked, with Katsu giving out what few facts she had about the town. The third member of this company, Rasp, kept themselves quiet, hanging out in the back and watching their surroundings. They came to a stop near what looked like a graveyard of some sort; well, Katsu assumed it was a graveyard, judging from the lines of wooden stakes planted into the ground.

"There is a certain degree of envy that must be had towards the dead don't you think?" Asked Katsu.

Raising an eyebrow to that comment, Eddie took a look at the graveyard and stroked his beard. The placement of the stakes had him a bit intrigued, he had to admit: Taking a good look at them, the stakes were too close between one another, which either meant shoddy handiwork or that a lot fewer graves had bodies laying under. And what's a graveyard without bodies?

He never quite understood the practice. Dead bodies carry disease, and smell, and attract bugs that carry other diseases. It had always been Warpup custom to burn the dead, with the people that knew the recently departed forming a circle around the body and saying a few words for the dead before starting the fire.

"Well, I'm often called the Dead, but people don't envy me none," he let out a low chuckle at that and shrugged, "I dunno about that. Death's death. The living try to spend as much time away from it, and the dead... well, I reckon they're not the argumentative type.? He spit on the ground, "We all go back to the mud in the end, so what's to look forward to?"

"Not having to toil in this wasteland which we call home any-more. A sense of release I guess." Replied Katsu in a sombre tone, she looked at the graveyard for a few moments more before carrying on.

"So, how did the two of you meet up?" She then asked, sounding a bit more chipper.

"Who, me and Rasp?" he threw a glance at the girl, "I raided his village, slaughtered his people, and took him as a slave!" he exclaimed enthusiastically, letting that hang a bit before laughing, "I kid, I kid! I've been a drifter most of my life," the kind that drifts around with bloodthirsty killers armed to the teeth, "and I once stumbled into the boy's village while they were getting attacked," less stumbled and more lead the charge there, "The villagers never stood a chance, so I grabbed the boy and run halfway to hell." She was less than appreciative of the fact that he had just murdered half the people she knew and left the other half to meet a similar fate. "Been together now for..." he thought on that, how long had they been together now? "Well, I lost count of the years."

And what of you? No offence, but you don't look native to these parts." Which was true, though he never mentioned that 'something about her looked familiar.

Katsu was a little apprehensive when Eddie mentioned the whole 'raiding and slaughtering' of someone's village, the fact that it came to be a joke didn't help much either alleviate such doubts. Katsu gave the man a once over; his height and muscular build gave the impression of an imposing presence, judging from his long, straggly hair, it told Katsu that he hadn't seen to take care of it in a long while, if ever. Thirdly, she noticed a fair number of scars, obvious signs of either carelessness or that he had been in a lots of fights in his time. Finally, there was a canister of something hanging on his side, it looked familiar to the hunter, but she couldn't tell from where.

"Your powers of observation serve you well Eddie, especially coming from someone with so say, failing eyesight. Like you and Rasp, I am a traveller of these wastes. Home for me is quite a journey from here, months in fact."

He only shrugged, "We all have our reasons to wander," he said, taking the cue that she would rather not discuss her home further. It was clear his joke was not quite well received, but then again, they rarely were. He did them less because he found them funny and more because they made him look stupid, anyway, "I've never really had a home, not in the traditional sense, anyway. Home for me is where good company is." Which left him very close to homeless had it not been for Rasp,

"So, tell me more about this town. How long have you been around here?" he continued, eager to change the subject.

"I arrived here roughly two to three days ago travelling alongside a merchant, a decent enough fellow, nothing overly special about them. Been using my time to rest and resupply, now I'm looking to move on and head towards wherever the next destination may be. It's actually why I came to investigate your group earlier; figured I might have been able to catch a ride or something."

"As for what I know regarding Divot, like I said it's not much, but it is a rather unassuming settlement, a small blip on the desert; good enough if you're looking to rest for a bit, but personally I wouldn't want to settle down here. Whilst there is no obvious sign of leadership, if I was to guess I'd say it was Sheriff Haggerd. I think the reason why he doesn't let passers-by stay for long, if at all, is that he's trying to keep the place safe in case of trouble."

"The inn just up the way is serviceable enough, beds aren't exactly the most comfortable, but then again, where is comfortable in the desert? Paid my way with a bunch of ammunition I don't use since I hardly use guns."

"Comfortable's plenty of places, if you're of a certain mindset." Eddie was used sleeping at places people would find uncomfortable, from craggy rocks and battered mats to piss-smelling cells and pits full of corpses. Though he hardly had a say on the last two. "Not one for guns, eh? More into melee, I take it?" She didn't look the kind, but he supposed she looked dexterous enough to run around stabbing people with something fast.

"You could say that, as you'll have noticed I'm equipped with a number of blades from the small..." As Katsu said this she pulled out the stiletto knife from her left braced, twirling it around a bit before sheathing it, "to something a bit larger, and have been trained in their use from a young age." She said, pulling out the longer sword, showing part of the blade before returning it.

"However, I am not just a melee specialist, I am also trained in the old art of archery." Katsu said pointing to the Recurve Bow on her back. "Given the scarcity of firearms and the means to properly maintain them back home, we adopted an older style of ranged combat."

"Huh." Eddie said, his eyes narrowing, as he scratched an arrow scar on his back, hidden from plain sight by his hair, recognizing the bow?s shape now that he had taken a good look at it. "Guess you did." His voice had gotten a deal distant. "So where is the Sheriff's office? I've questions to ask and requests to relay."

Katsu was slightly confused when Eddie said "Guess you did.", it wasn't what he said but rather how he said it, like he'd encountered a bow user before. The subtle hand gesture towards his neck gave her cause for concern.

Ah, I see. She'd have to keep an eye on this one, and perhaps his associate as well.

"Haggerd's office is not far from the main entrance to Divot. I'll show you where it is, had to visit myself on arrival." Katsu then turned and walked away from the graveyard.

Following her silently, Eddie stared at the bow some more. He remembered now. Back when the Warpups were looking for a new home, they had come about a tribe that used such bows. Goodfoot was the first guy they got, an arrow right through the eye. A good amount of blood was spilled the following weeks, plenty from both sides. Many chiefs believed that if they pressed on they?d break through the bastards, but Top Dog didn't want to build a home out of Warpup bones, so they left. Eddie never thought he?d find another such tribal again, least of all in such circumstances, least of all in a town like this. Their land was far and away from most charted land, and for her to be here, she surely had a reason.

He would have to keep his eye on her.

Reaching the office, Eddie nodded in thanks to Katsu, and turned to his partner. "Rasp." He simply called out, signalling her to give a report on what she'd seen while he was talking.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
The trader's face soured a bit as he watched her tear a page from one of his books. It was replaced with intrigue as he eyed the map in progress. It was rough, but it was serviceable. He supposed he couldn't be too particular. With the surrounding flats, it wouldn't be too difficult to spot as long as the scouts were going in its general direction.

He was just about to get up from his seat to rummage for some of the supplies Cor?had asked for when the man had told him they'd no longer be needed. Suit yourself, he quietly communicated with a shrug and a nod. "Just need to square a few things away here, but rest assured I'll give the Sheriff a proper earful."

Then they were out the door and on their way to the inn. At least a collection of scrap that resembled an inn. There was a hush that swept over the patrons as they walked in. They weren't particularly dangerous looking, but they certainly were curious.

Before the innkeep could so much as offer his usual, 'What'll it be?', the girl that walked in had already made several requests.?"All right," said the innkeeper, voice gruff and aged. He was a stout old man with a hairless face aside from a bushy pair of eyebrows that seemed to be perpetually furrowed.

"Let's see what we 'ave 'ere, eh?" He picked up the cartridge and looked it over. It was a little grubby but not so much that it couldn't be cleaned up. "These are serviceable. Four for the both of you for food and drink. Corn and taters, that's what we 'ave. For 'ard stuff, we 'ave white dog. Fresh whiskey, that is. It'll be four more for a kip for the night."

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"These are serviceable. Four for the both of you for food and drink. Corn and taters, that's what we 'ave. For 'ard stuff, we 'ave white dog. Fresh whiskey, that is. It'll be four more for a kip for the night."

As Izzy pondered the deal, she looked about. The saloon was the usual collection of random scrap pushed together to make a crude building, but there was something that had caught her attention. It took her a moment, but she finally realized what it was; the generator for the light. Whoever had set it up had done a pretty good job of muffling it to keep the noise down, but what she could hear, didn?t sound very good.

?Tellz wat. How ?bout dat one plus tree mo? fre beds.? She replied, gesturing to the bullet. ?An Izzy?ll fix yer genny fer eats an? drinks for both. Izzy a blackfinger, knows motos uv all kind. How dat??

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
"T'ink so. Li'l villes lik dis live 'r die on trade, so Traders gots pull... 'specially if dez da only one; an' most lawdogs in villes like dis are lik dat...gotta be or ya ded."

"That's true..." Cor admitted, and sighed. "The Sheriff really didn't like us much, though." Perhaps it would've been easier if it was just the two of them, usually, neither were seen as much of a risk. However, even if he was somewhat pessimistic -not because he believed the law-people were evil, exactly, but somewhat narrowminded at least- Izzy seemed to keep her hopes up.

"Les go!"

Following her into a dirty saloon, Cor wondered how often the place was cleaned, if ever. Tagging along with Izzy, he simply followed her lead.

"Tellz wat. How 'bout dat one plus tree mo' fre beds. An Izzy'll fix yer genny fer eats an' drinks for both. Izzy a blackfinger, knows motos uv all kind. How dat?"

Cor wondered if Izzy was neglecting to think about the others on purpose, or if she simply did not consider anyone but Cor and herself. With how she had been when Cor first happened upon her, he supposed him being included was somewhat of a compliment or at least proof of how far the other had gotten, but he was a Medicus, he needed to ensure the hurt man -and Aquila- had food and water. The patient was an obvious one, and Aquila had agreed to watch over the patient and the wag, bringing her something to eat was the least he could do. He was sure the other two were able to fend for themselves, and would probably prefer to do so as well.

I don't know what more Izzy can barter with, though. Perhaps... perhaps I should try. Again. Here goes nothing.

"Also, if you don't mind, we need some more food and water, for two more people. I'm a Medicus, a healer, so if there is anything I can do for you, or someone you know, I am willing to help. I also have some... mixtures, medicine of different sorts, if that helps. I can't part with a lot, although if I had a place for it and some basic materials, I could create some more for you."

He rubbed his neck and looked at Izzy, unsure of whether this was going to help or not.