Story games

DrVonTrap

Apr 22, 2009
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some story games to me? The sort of game that's mainly talking to people and developing relationships, with very little conventional gameplay. I think the persona series is this sort of thing, but I've never tried any of these games before so I wouldn't know :) I have an Xbox 360, DS, and PC; thanks in advance.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
DrVonTrap said:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some story games to me? The sort of game that's mainly talking to people and developing relationships, with very little conventional gameplay. I think the persona series is this sort of thing, but I've never tried any of these games before so I wouldn't know :) I have an Xbox 360, DS, and PC; thanks in advance.
I tried the Persona series once. I found it incredibly boring. Hours of tedious randomly generated levels with an extremely superficial Japanese high school drama. If you like that sort of thing then go for it.

If you want something that is a lot more mature and interesting, I recommend The Longest Journey 1 and 2. They have very interesting stories and are mostly exploration/puzzle/dialogue games. Well to put it simply, they are point and click adventure games.

I also recommend Hard Rain for PC. It's a game of interesting dialogue choices surrounding a murder mystery.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Cathrine pretty much fits that description.
I would recommend the Persona series but you don't have the right systems for it, however, PS2s are cheap so you can get it with Persona 3 FES and 4, some of my all time favorite games, especially 4.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Conrad Wentzel said:
DrVonTrap said:
I tried the Persona series once. I found it incredibly boring. Hours of tedious randomly generated levels with an extremely superficial Japanese high school drama. If you like that sort of thing then go for it.
With the consoles the OP has he wouldn't be able to play persona games anyway; the modern ones are only on PS2 and PSP/Vita. They're certainly not for everyone, and if you don't like JRPG's you probably won't like Persona. On the other hand they have good characters and very good stories, so if you can manage the Dungeon Crawling and Turn Based Combat the rest of the game shines.
Otherwise, perhaps a dating sim or visual novel? They focus on story and characterisation, but are quite a niche market outside of Japan. Not niche as in size, I mean niche as in popularity in the west.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Conrad Wentzel said:
If you want something that is a lot more mature and interesting, I recommend The Longest Journey 1 and 2. They have very interesting stories and are mostly exploration/puzzle/dialogue games. Well to put it simply, they are point and click adventure games.
This. Well, I haven't played the sequel but the original is great. Some of the dialogue is spotty here and there, but overall it's a fantastic game.

Planescape: Torment is a fantastic game, with likeable, relatable characters, a gripping story and very interesting themes. There's some combat which isn't always well designed, but most encounters can be avoided and the rest of the gameplay is based on exploration and dialogue. Definitely recommended.

There was a fantastic point 'n' click adventure released last year called Gemini Rue that you should check out, too. Fascinating themes, great characters, brilliantly pulled off plot twists and the puzzles are never of the "rub everything on everything" variety; everything makes logical sense.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Planescape: Torment is a fantastic game, with likeable, relatable characters, a gripping story and very interesting themes. There's some combat which isn't always well designed, but most encounters can be avoided and the rest of the gameplay is based on exploration and dialogue. Definitely recommended.
Torment is generally considered the best story-driven RPG of all time, so I second this recommendation. Also "To the Moon", while short, is up there with the very best stories in all of gaming. I can't say enough good things about either title, really, and both are quite inexpensive.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
What you are asking for are straight up visual novels and dating sims, and in that genre you have thousands upon thousands of games.

There is even one with pigeons.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
First off, I would recommend acquiring a PS2 or a first gen PS3, since the PS2 has an excellent library of all sorts of different games.

Story on 360? I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than Catherine, so go for that.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Catherine . Like other have said , it's a puzzle game , but with a pretty good story .

Also i'd say to check out . Blazblue . The story mode is really long . Sure it's a fighing game but the story mode is more like a visual novel , not much fighting going on there .

DrVonTrap

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think i'm probably going to look at Longest Journey and Catherine first, then if i like that maybe buy a PS2 and get some persona games (they're also made by Atlus right?) looking forward to playing them! (even the one with pigions)

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for DS sounds like that kind of game. Kind of rare, too.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Mr.K. said:
What you are asking for are straight up visual novels and dating sims, and in that genre you have thousands upon thousands of games.

Ohhhh not that one. Never that one.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Yeah I'd follow the notion of Visual Novel type games. Bare minimum in terms of gameplay but most can provide you with some good "action" *wink wink, nudge nudge*. My personal recommendations here go to Kira Kira or Katawa Shoujo (which is free).

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Um the relationship system in the Star Ocean games?

Oh and Katawa Shoujo seems to be all the rage atm.

The player goes to a special school for disabled kids. You get a pick of girls with no arms, no legs, blind, burn scared, deaf mute and ADHD/OCD

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Ghost Trick (ds),
999 (ds),
Deus Ex (pc),
Nier (360),
Knights of the Old Repulic 1 & 2 (pc),
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (pc)
Alpha Protocol (pc/360)
Catherine (360)
Dear Esther (pc)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (pc)
Sam & Max (pc)
To the Moon (pc)
Stanley Parable mod (pc)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I've been pretty drawn into the events of Sleeping dogs

Fallout New Vegas certainly has an itneresting world/story

Dragon Age orrigins (can't comment on the second one..but DA:O was more or less self contained)

if you had a PS3 Id recoment Infamous/Infamous 2 but alas..

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Vault101 said:
I've been pretty drawn into the events of Sleeping dogs

Fallout New Vegas certainly has an itneresting world/story

Dragon Age orrigins (can't comment on the second one..but DA:O was more or less self contained)

if you had a PS3 Id recoment Infamous/Infamous 2 but alas..
Pretty much this, and I really like your new avatar :3

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
rhyno435 said:
Mr.K. said:

Ohhhh not that one. Never that one.
Good Lord. You're not referring to...Hatoful Boyfriend, are you?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
DrVonTrap said:
9 hours 9 persons 9 doors is great at this and it comes with my highest recommendations.

Also, the World Ends With You. Its gameplay (and everything else for that matter) is highly unconventional and it has its own fun feel to it. Also, at least for me, I felt that the characters had a realness to them that I don't see in many games.