Story of the Stars

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
vortalism said:
It's not a bad thing that they are using tropes, it's if they are using them properly which truly counts. Some shows/comics/games reek of tropes yet come off as good for some reason, I wonder why? Sarcasm aside, I think that SotS 2 has done it decently, not being cliché although the setting is still remarkably similar to everything else in Science Fiction, which in itself is not a horrible thing. Execution is the main issue and I think that SotS 2 hasn't done anything wrong with sticking to what works.
I understand the difference between tropes and cliches, and I also understand that you can take some very common tropes and string them together into something worthwhile, see "Skies of Arcadia." However, if you'll take note of the text I have bolded, I would suggest that in trying to defend this game from the accusation of cliche, you have outright defined cliche. Such a problem may not bother you, but I vehemently disagree with your assessment that it's not a horrible thing. Good gameplay can outweigh this flaw, on occasion, see "Fallout 3," but that does not eliminate it. It remains a flaw that I feel deserves spite and ridicule.

vortalism

Dec 15, 2011
KingGolem said:
vortalism said:
It's not a bad thing that they are using tropes, it's if they are using them properly which truly counts. Some shows/comics/games reek of tropes yet come off as good for some reason, I wonder why? Sarcasm aside, I think that SotS 2 has done it decently, not being cliché although the setting is still remarkably similar to everything else in Science Fiction, which in itself is not a horrible thing. Execution is the main issue and I think that SotS 2 hasn't done anything wrong with sticking to what works.
I understand the difference between tropes and cliches, and I also understand that you can take some very common tropes and string them together into something worthwhile, see "Skies of Arcadia." However, if you'll take note of the text I have bolded, I would suggest that in trying to defend this game from the accusation of cliche, you have outright defined cliche. Such a problem may not bother you, but I vehemently disagree with your assessment that it's not a horrible thing. Good gameplay can outweigh this flaw, on occasion, see "Fallout 3," but that does not eliminate it. It remains a flaw that I feel deserves spite and ridicule.
Sure, I guess when you look at it from that particular angle. They haven't put a lot of effort into making it a very innovative setting and this may hinder people's experience of immersion and engagement. That's why I probably enjoyed The Elder Scrolls so much since it brought me away from all the other fantasy settings which just took Tolkien and ran with it. But The Elder Scrolls tried to be their own Tolkien and the setting really dragged me in. Personally I'm going to be playing this game anyway because I just wanted to see if you can get an effective story without relying on a campaign mode for structure. If you feel that the lack of creativity and inventiveness holds this game back as a particular setting, then I would also have to agree with you on that. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but that's ok with me.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
vortalism said:
Sure, I guess when you look at it from that particular angle. They haven't put a lot of effort into making it a very innovative setting and this may hinder people's experience of immersion and engagement. That's why I probably enjoyed The Elder Scrolls so much since it brought me away from all the other fantasy settings which just took Tolkien and ran with it. But The Elder Scrolls tried to be their own Tolkien and the setting really dragged me in. Personally I'm going to be playing this game anyway because I just wanted to see if you can get an effective story without relying on a campaign mode for structure. If you feel that the lack of creativity and inventiveness holds this game back as a particular setting, then I would also have to agree with you on that. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but that's ok with me.
How embarassing; I thought for sure this glacier-slow forum ate my posts. Now I've got two versions of the same post up.

Anyway, it seems we're generally in agreement now. I can certainly understand why you'd still want to play it, perhaps as an experiment in the medium, but if you do agree that the setting lacks creativity and inventiveness, why did you suggest it wasn't cliched in the first place?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I would really love to craft my own stories in Sword of the Stars II....

To bad it is STILL unplayable after SIX MONTHS!!!!

EDIT: *Looks at post time* The threadromancers are at it again.