STRAFE Pre-Alpha Demo is Now Free For Everyone

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
STRAFE Pre-Alpha Demo is Now Free For Everyone

If you're still on the fence about backing STRAFE for some reason, perhaps this pre-alpha demo can change your mind.

If, for some crazy reason, you haven't backed Pixel Titan's upcoming 1996 FPS throwback: over here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139669-STRAFE-is-a-Retro-Quake-Throwback-to-1996]. What are you waiting for?

Oh right, there a few caveats. The demo is essentially broken, and is only a tiny fraction of what your Kickstarterbucks will go towards funding. In the dev's own words: "It's pre-Alpha, BROKEN and not representative of the final game. It was custom built in days to get into the hands of streamers. The overwhelming positive response encouraged us to release it to the public. BUT this is A TINY FRACTION and modified version of STRAFE that lacks most final features."

"We love what we've seen. But unfortunately it might not run on your particular computer right now. It might have major bugs, like enemies literally dancing for death. It might begin WWIII after your computer is mistaken on radar for a nuclear warhead."

It added that some of the game's major features, such as procedural level generation, AI pathfinding, and even customization options (such as FOV and controls) have not yet been implemented.

Even with these caveats, it's still a nice way to actually show, rather than tell, people what you're going to be making.

What's better is, at time of writing, STRAFE has reached it's Kickstarter goal, raising $192,071 of the $185,096 it originally asked for, and still having 36 hours left on its campaign.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe/posts/1136891]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Steven Bogos said:
"It might begin WWIII after your computer is mistaken on radar for a nuclear warhead."
Ohhhhh, no. I'm not having that happen again.

slimbiggins said:
pre...alpha...? The game industry has basically turned into a pre-teen-coder forum.
You realize that this is the closest they can get to a demo at the moment, no? It's not that they're trying to get people to back the game in that state.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I actually had no problems with the pre alpha suprisingly, I was expecting a ton of crashes and never got one.

Plus, that was pretty fuckin fun.

Guess this will be the first ever thing I back on kickstarter.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
No procedural level generation yet? That's too bad. I'll just wait and see how this turns out.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I backed it, and now I'm downloading the demo. I may be doing things in the wrong order, but after just seeing what the game looks like, I have to have it.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I don't get it, what's the appeal of this game? I mean it looks like an OK, if unstructured, retro style shooter but what's the point of it?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
ForumSafari said:
I don't get it, what's the appeal of this game? I mean it looks like an OK, if unstructured, retro style shooter but what's the point of it?
Asked and answered. It's retro style, but not completely unstructured. It's not linear single player FPS where your team shouts for you to complete all the objectives. No chest high walls and no regenerating health. As Saint's row is to GTA, this game is to the current shooters. Not calling it the greatest game ever. Just something different and interesting that doesn't feel like half baked attempts at some emotional connection. Fight, kill, and win, just some mindless fun. Well I guess not completely mindless, some tactics involved; dodging shots like the Matrix while you race for the exit and being careful how you kill those jelly things.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
slimbiggins said:
pre...alpha...? The game industry has basically turned into a pre-teen-coder forum.
Harsh. The game appears functional enough in its current state to provide a good feel for the final product.
ForumSafari said:
Looks like they're trying to appeal to the neanderthals who don't demand any higher purpose for their pixelated protagonists than passing levels. You know, the type that doesn't get an erection when presented with a cheap story that takes itself way too seriously, painstakingly laid out through contrived dialogue over a series of unskippable cut scenes.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
StreamerDarkly said:
Looks like they're trying to appeal to the neanderthals who don't demand any higher purpose for their pixelated protagonists than passing levels. You know, the type that doesn't get an erection when presented with a cheap story that takes itself way too seriously, painstakingly laid out through contrived dialogue over a series of unskippable cut scenes.
Bazinga.

But seriously though, I still have all my Doom and Quake disks and I don't know a gamer without a copy of Doom somewhere. What does this do that they don't to the extent I'll pay for it?

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
ForumSafari said:
Bazinga.

But seriously though, I still have all my Doom and Quake disks and I don't know a gamer without a copy of Doom somewhere. What does this do that they don't to the extent I'll pay for it?
As I haven't played it, I can't give a good answer. The kickstarter page (which is heavy enough to make my browser choke on its own vomit) advertises a procedural level generator, so there's that.

I will say this though. It seems that fans of certain game genres are just a tad partisan in their views of what constitutes originality. First person shooters are universally dismissed as being knockoffs of Quake or COD, but every story-driven adventure game under the sun is a unique gem to be cherished.

To me, shooters always feel a little different in their controls and game flow. If it's well executed and fun to play, that's enough.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
StreamerDarkly said:
I will say this though. It seems that fans of certain game genres are just a tad partisan in their views of what constitutes originality. First person shooters are universally dismissed as being knockoffs of Quake or COD, but every story-driven adventure game under the sun is a unique gem to be cherished.
I wouldn't know, I'm more of an RTS/4X player these days but I do keep up with shooters to an extent. Having watched the video this reminds me very heavily of a brightly coloured Quake 2. I'm not averse to playing games again or playing games that remind me of other games, I just can't figure out what this does that'd make it worth more to me than some new levels fr games that already exist.