Strange gaming compulsions

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Strangely enough, the only game I've been playing lately is Rings of Zilfin. It's a pretty interesting game in how differently they do things compared to games these days, but it's just awful in some of the design decisions they made, like making you sit through several seconds of awful beeping every time a plant attacks. I can hardly blame them, seeing how the game was made 20 years ago, but it's still a pretty strange gaming compulsion that brings me to play this game.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
I always take flash over power. you know your screwed up when you'd rather have a pistol then a gravity hammer in Halo. and when I get a new weapon, I must use it.and forget about any others.

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
I always try and avoid magic at all costs (my life normally), i just don't like it and i feel much better when i know that i killed someone with cold steal and not a fireball.

And killing EVERYONE in stealth games, like in the theif series i tried my hardest never to leave an enemy alive, somtimes it could take ages dying nad retrying but it was worth it, i'm not sure why tho

and i don't use machine guns in fps games, i don't like the way i'm wasting half of the bullets that i fire just because the gun is in accurate, i also reload after every second shot, and shoot corpses too often

Monkfish Acc. said:
Onmi said:
Two things.

I think we all did the first in Pokemon, Mashing a button hoping that it's affecting the capture rate some how.

The second is odd, for some reason I can't release Pokemon I know their just data it's WEIRD.
Yeah, that was really odd. Why did we do that?

guys u did it wrong, you need to hold down the B button

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Madshaw said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Onmi said:
Two things.

I think we all did the first in Pokemon, Mashing a button hoping that it's affecting the capture rate some how.

The second is odd, for some reason I can't release Pokemon I know their just data it's WEIRD.

Actualy, I held down and tapped the B button rapidly. My friend used to tap A. We frequently argued about it.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Monkfish Acc. said:
Madshaw said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Onmi said:
Two things.

Actualy, I held down and tapped the B button rapidly. My friend used to tap A. We frequently argued about it.
They should make this the "dodge it!" button.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I have a habit of washing my hands and making other people wash their hands before they use my controllers because I hate when a controller feels greasy. I also lean when turning in racing games. I also do the ow thing everytime I get shot in an FPS and I talk crap to enemies in all kinds of games.

flare09

Aug 6, 2008
Sometimes I'll download Garry's mod just because I have an impulse to play it. But then I remember that my computer runs out of memory because it likes to download everything else with it. Then I don't even feel like playing it.

Alpha001

Dec 31, 2007
In WoW, I cant stop and level my 75, i must level 50 new characters to level 10 before I can get another level for him.

23 more to go

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
After I've succeeded in my task i than play the level over and completely fuck it up hardcore style. A good example is the hitman series; I spend many many attempts to get that perfect score in the game than i go back and basically run around and use bullets like they're going out of style.

A similar symptom occurs in RPGs like say Oblivion: I turn in the quest, save the game than kill the guy about umpteen times, then reload to the moment before his grisly Destruction spell based death, and continue on with the game. (especially if the quest/reward ratio was not a good one)

Back in the SNES days in I refused to ever use the default names for characters in RPGs. This would still be true if I still played that style of RPG. I would almost always name the protagonist (if male) some variation of "Bolt" or "Thunder" ect.

Plus about half the habits other people have listed.

naftali1

Oct 10, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
I also have that one Yatzee described, the "but I might need it later" one.
That's me, too. I can never get rid of anything in a game. And It takes a lot for me to get rid of a game..even one that I've beaten a million times and have no will to play ever again.

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
the protaginist said:
I always take flash over power. you know your screwed up when you'd rather have a pistol then a gravity hammer in Halo.
Oh yeah, this too. Granted, flash and power are often strongly correlated, so it's seldom an actual issue.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Fightbulb said:
When I'm playing an online FPS, I reload too much. Sometimes I get away with it (like in TF2), but a lot of times it gets me shot down (in COD4 mainly). I also check the ammo of weapons I haven't used yet, just to be safe. Also because it feels awesome.
Compulsive reloading... I do it too. It especially gets me into trouble trying to try and back away until I can reload, instead of just switching weapons. I also, in RTSs, tend to send my troops to slaughter instead of trying to save them, simply because some games (like World in Conflict) have awesome explosions. That, and my troop-management skills suck.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
naftali1 said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
I also have that one Yatzee described, the "but I might need it later" one.
That's me, too. I can never get rid of anything in a game. And It takes a lot for me to get rid of a game..even one that I've beaten a million times and have no will to play ever again.
Aye, me too. I also do that one everyone else keeps saying, compulsive reloading.

white_salad

Aug 24, 2008
In any stealth game, when I'm sneaking about, I'll never talk, always whisper, the guards might hear me. I've done this since halo:CE. I also have this odd urge to kill the guards I'm supposed to sneak by. There's this little itty bitty voice telling me of all their wrong deeds they have done, and how its justice that I kill them. I also try and justify myself for killing civilians in GTA IV. Like I shoot a guy in the head as he drives by, saying that he cheated on his wife. Or killing people hiding in alleys, because they deal drugs.

Also, I have this tendacy to always try to look badass. For example, in Fable II, I was goign good all the way, but while wearing the assasin coat, and bandit clothes, with black hair, and the evil facial hair. Becasue I looked freaking epic. Same thing with Fallout three. Instead of the the better armor, I choose what looks cool.

And I guess I must name pokemon ironic nicknames. For example, gloom is always nicknamed despair. Either that or scruffy. My entire team was called scruffy in diamond version.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Might be weird but I have a tendency to be a perfectionist when I play games.
In Dead Space for example I always try not to get hit, get hit once and I reload the game and I also try to use the least amount of ammo on enemies, once I went above my quota I would again reload the game.

I also have the character creation syndrome.

Ultimate Explorer. I make sure I've looked everywhere in the current area that I'm in, every corner and those tight spots even if it's as big as FO3.

Scaredy Cat. Everytime I hear any kind of noise in a horror game I quickly backup and crouch into a corner that has no doors/windows/vents near it and aim my gun.

Greed. I save up to millions of in game money and never really used it. (usually it's because I always hope that there's a really uber powerful item/weapon/armor at the end of the game that cost billions)

Reload Happy. In most FPS games I reload more than I shoot.

zebrin

Nov 16, 2008
ahh... well... I can happily say that I am not reload happy.
but I hold down the b button when playing pokemon.
humm... let's see... I lean when playing some racing games.
oh and I shout at fighting games. a lot.
rts games I have the final tier thing going for me as well... but that sometimes works for me.
ehn, and yeah, I can NOT play a game on an un-broken in controller, it just feels weird.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
You guys are weirder than I thought...

Neosage said:
I close doors, in RPGs......all the time
Me too! It just feels wrong to leave them open, and the damn NPC's never do it themselves. I especially do this when playing a stealth class, so the room temperature AI won't notice someone's been there. It's kinda stupid, really.

I tend to reload too much as well, but playing for a while against CS pros can help you kick that habit. You'll quickly learn that half a clip is better than messing around stuck in a useless animation cycle while being knifed to death.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Leodiensian said:
I try and ascertain how important an NPC is ahead of time by shooting them in the face.

If they die and the main consequence is people yelling at me, they're not important.

If they die and the game fails me, they're important.

If they're apparently bulletproof, they're important until they die at a later date, usually by deus ex machina.

This is suprisingly accurate.
I've just spent five whole minutes laughing at that and I have absolutely no idea why. It's actually a pretty sound strategy.

I'm horribly guilty of 'but I might need it later' syndrome, more so than ever now I'm playing Fallout 3 'cos the whole Wasteland aspect makes me think everything's suddenly going to become scarce. That and I had a pretty hairy moment when I was running around a place full of Mirelurks with no ammo for any of my several guns and just a lead pipe for protection. It's not so bad on Oblivion - I've still got a mountain of stuff stockpiled in my Chorrol house from when I was hoarding ready to sell in case I ran out of money, but I stopped looting everything in sight quite some time ago. Now all I add to it is the useless bloody potions that I get sick of carrying around.

As for the Pokemon button-mashing-capture-rate-placebo thing, I always favoured up+A...