Strange names for roads, streets and places you have either been too or seen.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello to all the Escapist folk,

It's the weekend and let's have some fun and I'm bored stuck indoors. What are strange names you have seen for roads, streets, places and anything that doesn't seem to fit. eg;

Hoe Street
Cockfosters
Bell End
Butts Street
Santorum Lane (I think that's one)

Comment below and let's just have a laugh.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
There's a town called Muff in County Donegal, they actually have a "Muff Diving Club," which is pretty awesome.

Other Irish classics include:
Fannystown
Slutsend
Lower Balix
Cum
Legwee

I laughed at Legwee more than I probably should have.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Not the same sort of humour, but my Dutch friend linked me to this recently. Check out the street names!

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
About 2 miles south of Baker California there is a road that to this day I have no idea how to pronounce.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Eamar said:
Not the same sort of humour, but my Dutch friend linked me to this recently. Check out the street names!
For a second I was all, "Wha? Google maps? Oh right. How fitting" but that is pretty awesome.

Here are some examples:
Hell, Michigan
Moosejaw, Alberta (I think)
Medicine Hat
Yellowknife
Sequim, Washington

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, there's the town of "Fucking" in Austria...gets lots of tourism, but people keep nicking their signs. That must get really annoying.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Devon, the county in England I lived in a while back, has some pretty funny place names including:

Crapstone
Charles Bottom
Beer
Pennycomequick

And from my own native Dorset, we have:

Happy Bottom
Scratchy Bottom
Piddle River
Shitterton
Durdle Door
Puddletown
Droop
Blackmanston
Lulworth
Lilliput

Not quite as rude as some of the ones above but they're hilariously quaint :)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've seen a street called Batman Close in England. If someone on that street hasn't renamed their house The Batcave I will be seriously disappointed.

Some others I've seen;

Hoe Street
Sackville Street
Vulcan Street

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Rooty Hill Road.

Well Rooty Hill Road North & Rooty Hill Road South. Which upon seeing I asked "What kind of name is that". As soon as the words were out of my mouth, my mother replied. "A fucking good one."

Combined with that event it's burnt into my memory as the strangest.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The Brits and Irish have got some strange names for our roads and places. Lucky I didn't put weird Pub names.

Weird pub names? Another thread for another day maybe? If you see this and want to take that idea for your own thread, go for it.

PrimitiveJudge said:
About 2 miles south of Baker California there is a road that to this day I have no idea how to pronounce.

The person who made that name for that road, must have either been high on something, wanted to take the massive piss (well done sir or madame) or just gave up speaking and writing and just went "Fuck it, that will do, Zzyzx Road it is".

Cruickshank

Jul 3, 2013
probably only the australians here will get this, but in the suburbs around the city here there is a street named "Bogan Street", seems appropriate for the area, plus theres even a pub sitting halfway up the street. guess the council was just naming what they saw when they named that street.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
There's a town called Muff in County Donegal, they actually have a "Muff Diving Club," which is pretty awesome.

Other Irish classics include:
Fannystown
Slutsend
Lower Balix
Cum
Legwee

I laughed at Legwee more than I probably should have.
I live a couple miles from Muff.

You think people would get used to it, but then I see old local men in their 70's laughing hysterically every time it's mentioned I pause and think "Yeah, this will be comedy gold forever"

I also discovered last week in work that there's a town called "Hackballscross" just West of Dundalk. That revelation certainly broke up the office day.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable" post="18.840450.20654956 said:
Moosejaw, Alberta (I think)

Saskatchewan. Good try.

Medicine Hat

THAT'S in Alberta, opposite of Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump.

OT: I live a couple streets away from Ball Court. That's all I got.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm.

Well I live just on the edge of Beaver (if that is even still all that odd given more modern fashion with grooming habits) and its Little Beaver Park. I also grew up on Sand Lick, which sounds like a nasty "Sex on the Beach" botch job.

I recall odd place names from former jobs, Like for example ANY town/city starting with "The" as in The Colony.

Then there is always Boca Raton in Florida, which roughly translates to Rat Lips. Even if you put it into its intended context Criminal Inlet, it still comes off with a mafioso implication, both in referring to someone who would snitch, as well as the local mafioso presence that dots parts of Florida.

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
Just across town from me is a place called Titty Ho.

A village a few villages down also has a Bell End, although that seems to be a bit more standard than Titty Ho.

Thinking about it, there's an area on the outskirts of Northampton town that all have food related names. They're not rude, but I just wonder why they're all food related, like the whole council were starving whilst naming the streets in the area.

Rowntree Road,
Peppercorn Way,
Cinnamon Close,
Basil Close,
Limefields Way,
there are some others but they don't spring to mind currently.

There's also a road the other side of Northampton town called Penistone Road, and I always read it as you might expect, but I don't if it's meant to be pronounced Pen-is-tone or if it's meant to be pronounced the in the rude way.

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
JƤtkƤsaari, which translates to Dude Island or Dude Isle. It's located near Helsinki.