Strange Stuff in Stranger of Sword City!

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
So has anyone played Stranger of Sword City yet? PC port just arrived on Steam. It's a somewhat obscure Japanese-ported dungeon crawler that reminds me of an updated Wizardry 8 for 2016.

As I grew up on and enjoy dungeon crawlers and turn based games, I am having a blast with this.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
No I havent but I was looking at it and it is something I have on my maybe at some point list. It looks interesting enough if a bit brutal in difficulty with good potential for depth in an otherwise tried and tested combat system.

If I was not so short on time I would have bought it. The art looks lovely even if the graphics are nothing to write home about.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The character and monster art is pretty good (the non-anime style - to my tastes) - but what I really enjoy is that it just seems to pull everything together with the right mix of challenge and reward. Even "Beginner" mode isn't easy; you can get slaughtered by a random encounter in the starter dungeon with the right enemies. You learn that running away is a strategy.

Sep 9, 2007
I've put a few hours into it so far. Apart from a few random slowdowns I've enjoyed what I've played so far. It's been kicking my ass (I'm playing on normal), but that's what I expect in this style of game.

I've already had to restart once thanks to the last fight in the tutorial (The guest party member was poisoned from an earlier battle and I was out of curative items, so I got beat down remarkably quickly). Second run is going "better"... All my melee attackers are out of commission for a day and my casters don't have that much in the way of mana reserves so they're only good for a few battles before they're out of juice. Still it could be worse, I could be rolling a character for a third time.