Stranglehold Advert Banned In U.K.

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Stranglehold Advert Banned In U.K.

An advertisement for Stranglehold has been banned in Great Britain after the country's advertising authority received two complaints.

The ad shows a four-man shoot-out and flying bullets, which hit no one. There was no blood or gore in the ad, either. One complainant said the ad extolled violence, and the other said it should not have been shown before 9:00 p.m.

The ASA took particular exception to the voiceover, which states: "Honour is his code. Vengeance is his mission. Violence is his only option."

The agency ruled that the ad "suggested that it was honorable to seek revenge and that violence was an acceptable solution to a situation."

Source: Gamespot.com [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184752.html?tag=latestnews;title;0]

St1ckman

Jan 16, 2008
Junaid Alam said:
#1 The ad shows a four-man shoot-out and flying bullets, which hit no one. There was no blood or gore in the ad, either.

#2 "Honour is his code. Vengeance is his mission. Violence is his only option."

#3 "suggested that it was honorable to seek revenge and that violence was an acceptable solution to a situation."
#1 Acceptable, in a way, because it's showing blazing action, not violence.

#2 This can be taken two ways: It's 'HIS only option' or 'OUR only option' depending on how much crazy you have inside you, depends how you see it.

#3 Which brings up #2's answer, depending on how you read it, depends on how you take it, if the text, 'his' was emphasised, it might make it clear enough to say, "It's not your option, it's... well... his..."

I could go further into it, but for a first post I don't want to blabber on. Just my 2 cents I suppose... Or three. :p

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
The whole "Honour is his code. Vengeance is his mission. Violence is his only option." is just a cliche' (tell me I spelt that right) action movie tagline. This whole game is really just a John Woo action movie parody. It doesn't tell people to go out and kill, it's just funny.

Eminate

Sep 7, 2007
Bravo, nanny state. However, I hardly think playing ultra-violent videogames is going to turn your youth into raving pack animals that beat each other senseless in the streets. Watching football(soccer to us godless westerners) has done a bang up job of that already.

St1ckman

Jan 16, 2008
Eminate said:
Bravo, nanny state. However, I hardly think playing ultra-violent videogames is going to turn your youth into raving pack animals that beat each other senseless in the streets. Watching football(soccer to us godless westerners) has done a bang up job of that already.
Football didn't create violence...