"Street Fighter: Extreme Edition" Announced for Blu-Ray

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
"Street Fighter: Extreme Edition" Announced for Blu-Ray

For you, the day "Street Fighter: The Movie" graces your Blu-ray player will be the most important day of your life. But for Capcom, it's just Tuesday.

No film better symbolizes the plight facing gamers at the cinema quite like Steven E. de Souza's "Street Fighter." [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111301/] Though it's not exactly tolerable like "Mortal Kombat" and it's not classified as cruel and unusual punishment in some countries like "Double Dragon" is, the "Street Fighter" film thrives as a beacon of mediocrity; that everything you ever knew about Street Fighter is wrong and sometimes the best of comedies are the ones that were never intended to be in the first place.

Come February 10, the acting tour de force that is Jean-Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia can be seen in true, 1080p, widescreen brilliance as "Street Fighter: Extreme Edition" [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2008/11/11/street_fighter_extreme_edition_on_bluray] heads to Blu-Ray. The disc, which is set to release sometime around the console launch of Street Fighter IV, includes plenty of extras dedicated to the latest entry in the long-running series, such as game and anime teasers. Rounding out the package are the usual assortment of extras including "making of" features, outtakes, deleted scenes, director commentary and more. If you already own the special edition DVD set of the film, however (which you totally should), then this may not be news to you.

There is currently no price set for the release, though you should probably start saving up your Bison dollars now if you want to relive the greatest moment in cinematic history [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXsM2n2oqg] in 1080p. I know I do.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You jest, but Eastern europeans seem to love JCVD and all his movies.

Every day I seem to sell five or six Jean-Claude Van Damme films. The other big seller is the Steven Seagal 12 DVD box set.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
That was... A surpringly cruel advert. And yet, strangely persuasive. Hm.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
"Of course!"

Is that crappy movie really so good that they feel the need to add it to blu-ray? It's not exactly going to have me rushing out to get something capable of playing it.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
What the heck is the point of bringing this out on blu-ray? You can't polish a turd after all....

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
What the heck is the point of bringing this out on blu-ray? You can't polish a turd after all....
You can if you just stick it underground for a while. Then you can make it priceless.
Or you can make it fertilizer for a Blu-Ray edition of a movie no one even thought to ask for. Seriously, who would wake up one day and think "Hey, I'd really like to watch Street Fighter on my spankin' new Blu-Ray player."?

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
You people are all mean! This film is a brilliant example of how gaming was percieved and portrayed in the 90s.

Honestly you cannot say you never got a bit of a smile while watching this film? I remember numerous 'sick days' from primary school where this was on the one video I got to watch that day.

I havent seen this film in years and I'm sure I'll retract my statement, but damn it was great!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
For street fighter fans, Street Fighter: Reunion has recently started filming.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Nimbus said:
Oh lord. The Original gets off cause it was early 90's, but o lord thats gonna suck.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Nimbus said:
Oh lord. The Original gets off cause it was early 90's, but o lord thats gonna suck.
Street Fighter: Reunion is a TV series, a continuation of Street Fighter: The Later Years.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yes, Street Fighter : The later years was made by College Humour and its about 20 billion times better than this movie, on a budget about a million times smaller.